Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #31
360spider
AF Moderator

Re: In Progress: Revell BMW 850i

Andy, the stains on the plenums are what E31 enthusiasts call "cosmoline" - its a heat stain and most 8-series owners would try to get rid of it by all possible means - its not so much a sign of abuse, but rather "heavy use" of the engine.
360spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #32
924_CarreraGTS
AF Enthusiast

Engine looks great so far. What is used to attach the plenums on the real car? I'll have to try that Metalizer drybrushing trick sometime. It really worked on this application.

Hope you get your painting weather.

Alex
Old 08-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #33
Samurai75007
AF Enthusiast

Mmmm so sexy, I remember seeing one on the streets of London last time I was there.
Samurai75007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #34
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

zak78- The tranny is a 6 speed. I believe the 850i was the first production V12 mated to a 6 speed, so it would be a shame to make it an automatic.

Alex, thanks for the confirmation. That would have been my best guess. Some pics I've seen show staining on only one side- and that makes for an unfortuate look.

924_CarreraGTS, I belive the plenums are held in place above the heads because the intake manifolds are ridgidly bolted to the engine block (and the intake manifolds are cast with the plenums in one piece). I want to replace those plug wires (that is what they are)- I'll just have to figure out how I want to do it.

Looks like the weather may break late next week....
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #35
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12

Fantastic works as always Andy! Thank you for starting another great thread so that I can steal many more techniques from you lol. Seems I also owe Ski a thread lol~~~~~
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #36
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

The heat has finally broken, and I've finally been able to start painting the 850. Painting takes a long time for me- days if things are going well, or weeks/months if they aren't. One of the things I like about acrylic laquers are that you can always stop, back off, and fix whatever issues you may find. Painting so far is going well, yet not every day has been paintable. But I'll give it what time it needs so I can be fully happy with the end results.

This is after the first light coats of paint.

The first few coats are misted on, as much to detect any flaws as to build up color. As soon as a little color is present flaws and texture I didn't catch in the primer become much more visible.

And so this is of course the time to fix them. If it's not done now, they will be permanently visible under the paint and clearcoat.

And here I'm finally building up color. It's certainly not fully opaque yet- I'm about half done here.

But I'm really liking the color on this body. Hopefully it shouldn't take more than another two or three painting sessions.

More to come. Today is rainy, tomorrow we'll see....
Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #37
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

I am ignoring this update

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #38
zak78
AF Regular

Please forgive me for asking this noob question:

What is it about the paint you're using that allows you to make final adjustments to the bodywork as you're applying color?

Nick
zak78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #39
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
I am ignoring this update
An oversight, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak78
What is it about the paint you're using that allows you to make final adjustments to the bodywork as you're applying color?
No worries, Nick. I'm using automotive acrylic laquer. Until last year, a member here sold it under the brand name CobraColors- but he shut down in October. (I send Leon whiney emails occasionaly begging him to come back, but no luck as yet. ) After I learned to use it I've found acrylic laquer to be very forgiving and flexible. It can be sanded an hour or two after being sprayed, and it doesn't seem to matter how long after the first coats the final coat is applied- my current record is five months. If you're willing to put in the patince to fix every last flaw it's an ideal medium.

I don't know of a good source for it now. It can be had here for about $20 for 2 ounces or $40 for a pint. I can do a 1/24 body with about an ounce (and two ish ounces of compatable reducer). Sooner or later I'm going to order a pint of white, but I don't know that I'll use that much of any other color.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #40
zak78
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
After I learned to use it I've found acrylic laquer to be very forgiving and flexible. It can be sanded an hour or two after being sprayed, and it doesn't seem to matter how long after the first coats the final coat is applied
Wow! Thanks for the tip. This is the kind of stuff I need to know. Roughly 1/2 of American couples marry and divorce again in less time than it takes me to finish a paint job ...

Back on topic: Will there be any aftermarket stuff under the hood, such as open-element air filters?
zak78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #41
Porsnatic
AF Enthusiast

Hey MPWR, great build up progress!...This model it's turning out fantastic. I know how hard it's to find one and after that to build it to get some things straight. As a simple way to thank you for share your build with us, I'm posting some pictures of mine, which it was made Box Stock since I saw that this kit almost doesn't need anything to stand out. I think that it not as good as yours when you finish it, but, I hope it can help you some way.

Simon
Porsnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #42
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Hi Simon, thanks for the pics! It's actually very helpfull to see what it looks like all together- especially the engine bay. I like the color! Very nice paint job, by the way. I fully agree that if built up nicely this one needs very little to stand out- it is a spectacular looking car.

Nick, I thinking I'm probably going to keep it factory stock under the bonnet. I'd thought of some K&N cones or the like, but these beasts are rare enough that I'll probably stick with the original form. I may still consider a brace across the shock towers, but only if it doesn't detract much from the look of the big V12.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 PM   #43
stryfe101
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stryfe101 Send a message via Yahoo to stryfe101

I like that color!, and so far the engine looks good too, I really like how your engines come out with the paint you use, the textures and the washes really make em pop. Keep up the good work

Gray
stryfe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #44
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

great job so far.

Years ago I built the model for a friend and wasnīt pleased with those parts that didnīt fit.

However, Iīm sure you make a good looking model here.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #45
janositamas
AF Enthusiast

Good job so far, patiently waiting more to come! Good color choice!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street