Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
BostonKev
AF Regular

Lumina paint issue

Hi all, I have a 96 white Lumina with a definite paint flaking issue. The passenger side is perfect but the driver's side reas and roof are flaking pretty terribly. Is this common on these? Thank you
BostonKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84
Re: Lumina paint issue

I don't know why, but most of the luminas that I see that have that problem are white. I think most luminas have paint issues, dating back to the early 90's. My '93 has paint issues on the rear bumper and trunk. So, in answer to your question, this is very common.
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
spmccord
AF Newbie

Unfortunately it's very common...I have a white 97 Lumina and the trunk and passenger side quarter panel are peeling...If you look closely, it looks like the undercoating is almost shiny...not good!
spmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
BostonKev
AF Regular

I know the car is a bit older now, but don't you think there would have been a recall about this? It's pretty sad.
BostonKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
gw84
AF Enthusiast

*Update* Like I said, my 93 lumina has paint issues. Well I just bought a 99LTZ and sure enough: there are three spots on the front bumper where the clearcoat has begun to peel. Two of them are fairly small (half dollar), but the other is huge, like the size of a tennis ball. What a shame, such good cars but paint has always been an issue.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw84
*Update* Like I said, my 93 lumina has paint issues. Well I just bought a 99LTZ and sure enough: there are three spots on the front bumper where the clearcoat has begun to peel. Two of them are fairly small (half dollar), but the other is huge, like the size of a tennis ball. What a shame, such good cars but paint has always been an issue.
My '97's white is perfect, and it's sat outside all it's life...seems to be just certain ones, as I've seen another exactly like mine peeling horribly...

My friend is a painter for a GM dealership...he tells me sometimes it's due to cutting curing time after primer/paint at the factory when they are trying to get production back up after labor problems...I dunno, could be...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
gw84
AF Enthusiast

anything's possible I guess. My LTZ is Dark Carmine Red Metallic, not white. But it's just the clearcoat that's peeling (not the paint). Same thing happened to my 93...just clearcoat. Is there anything I can do to stop the clearcoat from peeling farther? Both vehicles had the peeling clearcoat problem when I got them. I keep them waxed, that's all I know to do.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
. I keep them waxed, that's all I know to do.
Maybe that's the problem? I've never waxed a white car in my life...I can't explain the red one though...

No, once the clear starts to go, there's no stopping it. Except for just stripping and redoing the whole flat...even spot painting it, it'll come back around the repair eventually...

My sister had a '88 Baretta that peeled all around the car BELOW the pinstripes when it got old...I thought that was odd so I asked my friend about it...

He said the reason was, it was one that had the problem with peeling paint on the flats when it was newer. GM was obligated to strip and repaint them under the finish warrantee, but some dealers cut time and made money by only stripping them down to the pinstripe line, then spraying the top half of the car, blending to the bottom, buff it all out, and restripe, and they looked like the whole car was fresh paint, the dealers billed the General for a whole job that they didn't do, and the paint began to peel off below the pinstripe line years later, when they were well out of warrantee...

...empty gun rack.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
gw84
AF Enthusiast

This may be a dumb question but is it possible to just remove the clearcoat (on the affected area) and only redo that, or would I have to have the whole paint job redone, down to the metal???
Old 07-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #10
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
This may be a dumb question but is it possible to just remove the clearcoat (on the affected area) and only redo that, or would I have to have the whole paint job redone, down to the metal???
Stripped to the metal, if you want it to last more than a year...sometimes putting a new layer of paint over paint that's delaminating will only speed up the deterioration as it tries to bond with the faulty layer and stresses it more, in turn breaking its bond with the primer coat...and no, you can't strip a clear coat off...you could wet sand it and feather it out well beyond the edges of the area that was affected, then recoat, and it'd look good for a while, but like rust and cancer, there's just no stopping it once it starts without getting rid of the original problem...the bad bond between layers.

...empty gun rack.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
gw84
AF Enthusiast

just got to thinking....the bumper is not metal, duh! Would I still have to strip it all the way down?...to the plastic or fiberglass (whatever that thing is made out of
Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Quote:
just got to thinking....the bumper is not metal, duh! Would I still have to strip it all the way down?...to the plastic or fiberglass (whatever that thing is made out of
It takes a specially mixed paint to stay on those bumper covers, because of thermal qualites of the plastic and flexibility I guess...

...empty gun rack.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
gw84
AF Enthusiast

I'll just let mine go for now. It doesn't look too noticeable. But if (or maybe when) it starts getting worse, I'll have to decide where to go from there.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #14
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

yeah, or could just take the bumper off, and redo that all the way down. I am needing to that to my rear bumper, the thing is a little cracked in places and i fear will start flaking shortly.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina