Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
Scope240
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Scope240
New to the bike thing

Hey, im totally new to riding, well havent even started yet. Taking the MSF riders course this summer and hopefully by a bike soon after. After reading and researching, i decided on getting a 250 Ninja to start off with. I know its a small bike, but i figure it one of the better bikes to learn on. Though im only 18, im not speed crazed anymore. Never been in any car accidents, but from 16-17 i had my speed obsession. Now at 18 i realized that theres a time and a place for it and its called a race track. So i've pretty much smarted up. Just wanted to know people who ride in cali think of it, cause to be honest, cali drivers are probably some of the worse drivers around. I mean soccer mom's on cell phones are a pain. But i want a motorcycle for the pure enjoyment of being out there.

Anyways after that long random post, i just wanted first hand experience and advice for anything i should watch out for, other than stupid people in cars. This has probably been covered before, but just making sure im on the right course.
Thanks again and ride safe.
Scope240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: New to the bike thing

Hey scope, welcome to motorcycling. It sounds like you're approaching our hobby with the right attitude. That MSF course will serve you well. My best advice to give you is to watch the areas ahead with your peripheral vision all the time for people that won't see you, and to always watch your mirrors, especially at stoplights. Never sit at a light in neutral, and stay far enough back from the car ahead of you to have an escape route in case "soccer mom/big daddy wheeler dealer" are too busy on their cell to see you.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

!. When something doesn't sound/feel right with the bike, or you don't seem to be riding too well, go back home. There is something wrong with you or the bike. Don't ride until you sort it out.

2. When you get that little twinge of intuition that something's not right, REACT TO IT IMMEDIATELY, don't wait to figure out what set it off....by then, it's usually too late....I know so many people who wrecked and said "I knew something didn't feel right, but by the time I saw it, I couldn't stop...."

Start breaking down your speed and look for an escape route as soon as that feeling comes....it's usually right. You have seen something peripherally that you should be concerned about...the subconscious mind knows, but the conscious mind doesn't always listen...but trusting your instincts and not worrying about looking stupid for stopping when you didn't really need to or something will keep you alive.

Better to look like a living spaz than a dead cool guy...

3. THIS CAME HARDEST FOR ME....a lotta times on a bike, the best action is no action....many times a riders overzealous avoidance manuever or skid or whatever actually causes a wreck in what would otherwise have been a non-event. Many times the best course of action is just to stand it up straight, brake hard but not crazy, most times you find by the time you've knocked some speed off, the problem is not so bad as you thought...getting speed down FIRST is critical in almost every situation.

I shouldn't tell you this, but here's an example.

I was chasing a friend who is a much better rider than I was, and he had a more capable bike. We were coming through a series of switchback-type curves in a semi-residential area. I was pushing hard trying to catch up, and on the last blind rise there was an immediate 90 degree left that I was totally unprepared for. I was in NO position to even begin to take that curve, and I was going probably 50 mph..

I knew there was no way I could even begin to turn into it, the chassis was unsettled from topping that rise, the road surface was off-cambered, I was screwed. But somehow I decided the best course of action was to take the longest straight line I could across the curve, braking hard once the chassis got it's weight back, let go of the brakes as soon as I left the road surface and rode it off the curve with me perfectly upright and in control. I went between rocks and trees, through a lawn, and came out of a driveway on the other side of the second hairpin...just as if I'd meant to do it..

Any other action would have resulted in a lowside (trying to lean over too far and brake hard into the curve) or going too wide and going into the rough while leaned over cornering, which with the rocks and trees and surface irregularities would have resulted in a wad for sure.

I learned two good lessons that day.

Don't let your ego make you try to keep up with much better riders, and

Don't try to do the impossible, it won't work. Work with what you got, and remain in control...

Be safe, and have fun!

...empty gun rack.

Last edited by jeffcoslacker; 05-14-2007 at 07:50 AM.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Scope240
AF Regular

Thanks guys i appreciate the adivce. Ya i tend to have a good eye while driving a car, so hopefully i can carry that over into riding. I mean i always pay attention, i see most every bike, and if i have the feeling they want to pass, i wave them on, to let them know i see them, and i usually get that low down wave after they pass. But ya, i rather take the ride steps, just always gotta be on my toes 24/7.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj

Hey man I just wanted to pop in and give some insight from another new rider. I just picked up an 07 honda 919 about a month ago, I already have about 700 miles on her. It is by far the greatest purchase I have ever made. I absolutely love riding. I was unsure of my decision untill I just bit the bullet and did it. I am very pleased I did.

Like previously stated just be careful and learn how to get your speed down safely in emergencies. Always be aware of your surroundings and have some fun.

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:16 AM   #6
Scope240
AF Regular

Sounds good man, i really appreciate the advice.

Ride Safe.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Congrats to you too Knorwj, our hobby is a fun one. Just be careful you respect that beast you own, it can throw you before you know you're being thrown. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders as well, but that's one hell of a first bike you got there.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

this is going to sound negative but .....

always ride like your going to crash. wear the gear for a crash and expect to go down.

if you go out thinking "i'm cool, i don't need my jacket and gloves today. i'm only going to the shops." and then you go down. you'll be very sorry.

most accidents happen under 40k's an hour and 2 k's from home.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Scope240
AF Regular

Ya i know i plan to invest in a lot of riding gear, totally worth every penny though. I see peopel here in cali where the weather is nice riding around in t-shirts, shorts, and sandles, you guys know that type. And they think they look really cool, yet their busting 80mph, and im like you go down your pretty screwed.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
acoop822
AF Newbie

Theres only a few things I can say to help ya out. Wear your gear, Don't ride in the middle of the lane (especially after a rain), Don't use the front brake a low speeds(Parking lots ,ect.), Ride within your limits, Cover your front brake and clutch while rolling through intersections.... Hope this helps
acoop822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoop822
Theres only a few things I can say to help ya out. Wear your gear, Don't ride in the middle of the lane (especially after a rain), Don't use the front brake a low speeds(Parking lots ,ect.), Ride within your limits, Cover your front brake and clutch while rolling through intersections.... Hope this helps
Allow me to make a correction: ONLY USE YOUR FRONT BRAKE!!! -- NO MATTER WHEN!!!

Over 70% (and on more modern bikes, probably closer to 80-90%) of your stopping power is in the front brake. Not to mention that on many bikes, back brakes have a tendency to lock... which can mean certain high-siding fate.

I never touch my rear brake unless I am emergency braking due to some ignorant ass.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Forget it. I was going to express my feelings about favoring one brake over the other, but people ride the way they feel most comfortable.

Using both brake increases control, decreases stopping distances and saves wear and tear on the overused brake's linings. 'Nuff said.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
acoop822
AF Newbie

Allow me to make a correction: I don't believe I said to never use your front brake... I always use my front brake. Except when I pull into a gravel driveway or parking lot at low speeds. If you use the front brake in (For Example) a Gravel driveway your gonna drop the bike. Maybe not everyone but it does happen...
acoop822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

hmmmm.

i pretty much only use a down shift and a dab of rear brake. if i use the front then i'm going to fast for the street. on the track its both.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

hmmm....only use the rear brake on the street? If that was the engineers intention, then you'd have dual rear rotors and dual piston calipers on the rear and only 1 small brake on the front. Other than in slippery conditions, like those mentioned by acoop, I think you should favor your front brake while using a combination of both (like many of the new brakes linked brake systems do for you automatically) most of the time.

As jeffco stated, it's an age old arguement that could go on forever, just thought I'd toss in my .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes