-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 AM
grandlaker grandlaker is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Radio Buttons Backlight

The backlight(s) for the 1 and 4 buttons on the radio quit working. I presume you have to pull the entire face to get to the problem. Though I would ask if anyone has tried it before and what you found. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2004, 03:49 PM
andjh123 andjh123 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to andjh123
That's interesting, I had the same exact problem (same buttons) on a '98. My solution; bought and installed an Alpine CD player which involed removing the whole dash and blowing alot of fuses. Quite a pain in the ass.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2004, 01:33 PM
typicalsituations typicalsituations is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a common problem with those radios. You CAN buy replacement bulbs and replace them. I found a website that sells a set of bulbs for $40 bucks. Thats too much, you can buy a new radio on eBay for that price. You can go to radio shack and get part number 272-1154 which is the same brightness, but just a little smaller. It works just as well. I have seen it done with those bulbs, and it looks the same as the others. I would recommend changing all 10 of them. Since I have had my Tahoe (only a month) I have lost 3 buttons in addition to the ones that were already blown. I have my old stereo system out of my car, but for some strange reason, I'm opting to keep my Tahoe Stock. I just don't like the look of an aftermarket radio in the tahoe's stock opening.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2004, 09:40 PM
sweebs sweebs is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
weird, my tahoe's radio has the exact same 1 and 4 buttons with the back light burned out

thanks for the part number
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
sweebs sweebs is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when typicalsituations states "this is a common problem,,,"

since owning my tahoe for the last 4 months, I have discovered LOTS of "common problems" with tahoes

like $250 to get an alignment done because GM is too damn cheap to incorporate adjustability for caster/camber!!

what happened to $39 for an alignment??

and,,, a COMMON PROBLEM I also had was the intake manifold gasket that was leaking, which supposedly "those gaskets are prone to leaking"

and $800 later, I have a new $20 gasket installed that fixed the leak,,,

tahoes are cool and all, but the quality certainly is a question,

oh and BTW, anyone have a rear driver's side window that stops functioning on an intermittent basis?? (meaning that sometimes it will roll down/up and other times it's just dead
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2004, 12:16 PM
typicalsituations typicalsituations is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, If I would have known about all these common problems, I would not have bought mine. The only things I have wrong with mine are the radio lights, and the infamous "BUMP" when I stop, or take off. I've had mine for about a month and a half. Its been a good truck, BUT I worry sometimes about when and how its going to mess up on me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2004, 06:51 AM
andjh123 andjh123 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to andjh123
Infamous "bump?" What exactly are you talking about here?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 PM
bartlanz's Avatar
bartlanz bartlanz is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to bartlanz Send a message via AIM to bartlanz
"The Infimous BUMP" is the bump or clunk that you get when you start or stop at a stop sign or traffic light. It is caused by the slip yolk (I think this is what it's called) on the rear end as I recall, and the way you fix it is by getting some special greas from your local stealership. You slide the the thing apart and grease it every like 6 months. On the NBS trucks, there is a TSB that is suposed to have a perminent fix for it, how ever people so far have said it doesn't.

I have a question based on all this, would it be possible to change all the lights in the dash, and radio with like red tinted bulbs? Makeing for better night vision, and a cooler look?
__________________
Bart

98 Tahoe LT
K&N Drop in Air Filter
Rancho 5000 Shocks all around
265/75R16 BFGoodrich Allterain T/A KO Tires
WHELEN 9600 Series, 10 Strobe, Light Bar with Smart Messenger
ALPINE CDA-9835 CD/MP3 Player

My Ride
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2004, 12:50 PM
grandlaker grandlaker is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Radio Buttons Backlight

But how do you get to the bulbs?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
bartlanz's Avatar
bartlanz bartlanz is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to bartlanz Send a message via AIM to bartlanz
Re: Radio Buttons Backlight

Remove the Deck, and then start removing screws around the face. I can't say Ive pulled apart a chevy deck before.
__________________
Bart

98 Tahoe LT
K&N Drop in Air Filter
Rancho 5000 Shocks all around
265/75R16 BFGoodrich Allterain T/A KO Tires
WHELEN 9600 Series, 10 Strobe, Light Bar with Smart Messenger
ALPINE CDA-9835 CD/MP3 Player

My Ride
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2004, 02:15 PM
typicalsituations typicalsituations is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Radio Buttons Backlight

I ordered one on eBay the other day, and I just got it today, and its bulbs are burned out too, boy am I pissed. Anyway, I've taken apart my old deck before. There are 10 bulbs, and they are soildered into place. It wouldn't be too hard for someone to replace them. I was thinking maybe LED's could be soildered in, but I would hate to mess anything up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2004, 02:56 PM
bartlanz's Avatar
bartlanz bartlanz is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to bartlanz Send a message via AIM to bartlanz
I am quite apt at electronics. If some one wanted to send me a deck with burnt out bulbs, I'll see what I can do for either changeing the bulbs, or changing them to leds. My deck is fine rite now, so I don't want to pull it.
__________________
Bart

98 Tahoe LT
K&N Drop in Air Filter
Rancho 5000 Shocks all around
265/75R16 BFGoodrich Allterain T/A KO Tires
WHELEN 9600 Series, 10 Strobe, Light Bar with Smart Messenger
ALPINE CDA-9835 CD/MP3 Player

My Ride
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM
cockblocker cockblocker is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Radio Buttons Backlight

Bartlanz...hey the LED idea is quite good. I wonder though, do you think the resistance would be sufficient to run LEDs?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM
bartlanz's Avatar
bartlanz bartlanz is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to bartlanz Send a message via AIM to bartlanz
Re: Radio Buttons Backlight

I dont see why not? As long as the voltage is correct, the bigest thing would be finding the color desired in the voltage available.
__________________
Bart

98 Tahoe LT
K&N Drop in Air Filter
Rancho 5000 Shocks all around
265/75R16 BFGoodrich Allterain T/A KO Tires
WHELEN 9600 Series, 10 Strobe, Light Bar with Smart Messenger
ALPINE CDA-9835 CD/MP3 Player

My Ride
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-2004, 11:00 PM
JD68 JD68 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
voltage and amps needs to be correct or you'll end up blowing leds left and right, the stock bulbs are usually type 194 which are rated at 14v 270 mA where as most 12v LEDs are rated at 15 mA so you would need to use a resistor to keep the amps down, getting that all into a spade bulb socket would be pretty tough, I have seen LED replacement lamps out there but they were too expensive to jusitify putting them into the dash,

JD68
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Button's Backlight. 97 Suburban racerman24 Suburban 6 12-13-2009 06:04 PM
2003 Venture All Interior Backlighting is Out kapinossa Venture 0 08-13-2009 11:32 PM
Radio Button - Wear tiger93 C/K 2 08-04-2009 01:31 PM
'99 SL2 radio display backlight out glennco1 SC/SL/SW 5 12-10-2004 07:41 PM
radio buttons on steering wheel hot? posteris Park Avenue 2 04-20-2004 01:30 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts