-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-04-2003, 06:05 PM
MaNtiS3024's Avatar
MaNtiS3024 MaNtiS3024 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Convertible Roll Bar

Ive seen on many sites sell a roll bar or style bar for mustang convertibles which doesnt come standard on most models. I was wondering if they're designed to protect you in case the car rolls over or is it just for looks?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 PM
TonyIzCool1 TonyIzCool1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to TonyIzCool1
yes I would like to know this aswell cause I have a convertible my self and would like to get a roll bar if it will protect me incase of a roll over?
where could i find one? O yea my year is a 70
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 PM
GTStang's Avatar
GTStang GTStang is offline
Stang Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Most are just plastic. Some of the more expensive ones have a metal bar inside. Either way you roll over they aren't going to do shit. Why most are called Styling bars.
__________________
R.I.P. Hypsi- Andy your one of the best people I ever had the priviledge to know. AF and the world
has lost one of the truly wonderful people...

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2003, 01:04 AM
HaggardRacer HaggardRacer is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i was wondering that too. But notice on the 427 shelby cobra's they have them but do you think it's really going to help out? I think it's just for looks.
__________________
I don't really know what to put in my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2003, 01:06 AM
HaggardRacer HaggardRacer is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, another thing to consider is are you really going to like it though. Sure it might save your life, but do you think like a 4 point or 6 point roll cage will look good in your car when you're driving around with the top down? I personaly think it would be ugly.
__________________
I don't really know what to put in my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2003, 03:23 AM
GTStang's Avatar
GTStang GTStang is offline
Stang Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to GTStang
On the 427 Shelbys those will actually keep the car from landing flat the are welded to the frame. I know what your are saying I love the Convertible Fox Stangs but knew I was gonna build a sub 13 second car. And at any Dragway I would need a cage and they ruinthe look of a vert, So I ended up with another hardtop
__________________
R.I.P. Hypsi- Andy your one of the best people I ever had the priviledge to know. AF and the world
has lost one of the truly wonderful people...

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2003, 06:19 AM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Safety or looks, humm hard choice. Personally I don't care what it would look like as long as it could save my life! Plus since it's not hard to get a vert into the 13's, it would be required by any race track you were to go to.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2003, 05:05 PM
MaNtiS3024's Avatar
MaNtiS3024 MaNtiS3024 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiFlow5 0
Safety or looks, humm hard choice. Personally I don't care what it would look like as long as it could save my life! Plus since it's not hard to get a vert into the 13's, it would be required by any race track you were to go to.
are you saying that all dragways require convertibles to have roll cages??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2003, 05:14 PM
TonyIzCool1 TonyIzCool1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to TonyIzCool1
Have any of you guys seen the 4 point street bars that Mustangs plus sells? it is like 300...... I want to be able to takemy car to the tracks sometimes so do I need a roll cage i am not sure how fast it is as of now but soon it will be fast like probally under 13 so that means i would need one doesn't it? Is there one that you can use to race and still be able to have passengers in the backseat of the car when just normal driving?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2003, 07:13 AM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Quote:
Originally posted by MaNtiS3024


are you saying that all dragways require convertibles to have roll cages??
Once you break into the 13's a roll bar is required for verts. Also any car running 13.99 or better will require a drive line saftey loop and a certified snell helmet.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2003, 02:40 PM
HaggardRacer HaggardRacer is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my track you have to run 11's to have a roll cage. Not sure about convetables though. I wouldn't want to race in a convertable either.
__________________
I don't really know what to put in my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 PM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Any car running 10.00 to 11.99 will require a roll bar. Anything faster then 9.99 will require a roll cage. Verts are the exception, requiring a roll bar once 13.99 is achieved. Per NHRA rule book.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roll bar and roll bar installation newstanger Non-Performance 5 03-13-2006 07:14 PM
roll bar for convertible 240sx pillpusher55 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX 0 03-31-2004 07:48 AM
Roll Cage/ Roll Bar 4-Door Flunky '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee 21 02-27-2003 04:39 PM
installing Sway Bars/Anti-Roll Bars and Lower Strut Bars..? tsunamiHB Tires and Wheels 5 06-08-2002 04:38 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts