-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
holmem holmem is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 2000 Camry CEL P0440

2000 Camry - 4 cyl - 188,000 miles
CEL came on while interstate driving. No noticeable difference in performance. Had the code read, and got the 440 code that nearly everyone I read or speak to says "change your gas cap". The one I had was an aftermarket, and was about 2 years old. Purchased another aftermarket that seems a little better quality. Now I need to reset the CEL.
Is there a way via a sequence of steps to reset the code without a code reader/reset device? I own a Nissan Pathfinder, and I can both read the flashing CEL and reset the errors using a sequence of ignition, accelerator depressions, all within precise time allotments, etc.
Does Toyota offer that for the 2000 Camry.
I have searched the entire forum and cannot find info regarding this.
Thanks in advance for your responses...
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Pull the ECM fuse for a couple of seconds.
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
holmem holmem is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Well, I was thinking I was trying that yesterday by pulling the fuse labeled "ECU-B", which is the only fuse I'm finding that hints at the ECM. However, the repair manual shows one diagram of the ECM and an ABS ECU under the dash. So, I'm a little confused and not sure I'm pulling the correct one.
Anyway, I left it out for about 10 seconds, but nothing changed. However, I'm not sure whether I should be turning on the ignition with that fuse out - any hints on that?
thanks again...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

ABS-ECU is not the right fuse. The ECU fuse is in the box next to the battery.
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
holmem holmem is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

I found what I believe is all the fuses, but none had what sounded like ECU. So, I chose the "disconnect negative battery cable" route, and the light did go out. Once I get out for some highway driving I'll find out whether the gas cap was really the issue.

thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
zzyzzx2 zzyzzx2 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

I get this one a couple of times a year I just reset the code and put a thin coat of oil on the gas cap gasket. Been doing this for around 2 years now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM
holmem holmem is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Thanks - that's a good tip. I finally had to remove the negative battery cable to reset the code, and so far has not come back. But I did replace the gas cap previously. Hopefully its in the past now. I'll remember the idea on the gasket, though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM
zzyzzx2 zzyzzx2 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmem View Post
Thanks - that's a good tip. I finally had to remove the negative battery cable to reset the code, and so far has not come back. But I did replace the gas cap previously. Hopefully its in the past now. I'll remember the idea on the gasket, though.

I used a code reader to reset the codes. I like to at least look at them first.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
holmem holmem is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Me too. I had the Autozone guy reset mine - haven't invested in a reader yet, since my Pathfinder gives me the ability to "read" the codes using a blinking SES light. Its crude, but works well. Then I reset them...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Joe W Joe W is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 512
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

I firmly believe in resetting a code and waiting for the same to appear before attempting repairs. It is good that you found a store that will reset your codes as not all will do this. If you do your own work a code meter is a worthwhile investment.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
ricebike ricebike is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 873
Thanks: 8
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
I firmly believe in resetting a code and waiting for the same to appear before attempting repairs.
i've been following that procedure for a number of years now... having the same code re-appear just confirms that there's a problem in the circuit/sensor

good thing i live close to an autozone that does it for free
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 2000 Camry CEL P0440

Take note that many codes are delayed by two-trip detection logic.
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 Toyota Camry Rebuilt Transmission Computer Problem gujuchokra Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista 5 08-20-2009 08:45 PM
2000 Camry Shifts/Runs ok cold; When hot: loses pwr 2-3K rpm, CEL Blinks, trans slips robl_aggressor Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista 9 01-17-2005 02:44 PM
2000 Rodeo CEL and Rough Idle degobah Rodeo | Passport | MU 25 10-14-2004 10:44 AM
'96 Camry CEL Problem SupercarFreak Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista 2 06-14-2004 08:59 AM
2000 camry 3.0 xle vs 2000 1.8 gs htype_r Integra 1 10-23-2003 09:58 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts