-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
buffercat buffercat is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't get rid of 301 code

Ok 2005 Impala, car runs great but keeps tripping on engine light and will flash occasionally. We have replaced plugs, wires, injector, switched coil packs which code did not follow to other cylinder. When I hook LED light to switch below coil pack and start car light flashes, have 13 volts coming into coil pack. Need some help before spending buddies $$$ in the wrong area. Ideas ?? Thanks

P.S shows 2 codes PO301 and 2nd is PO301 P what is the other P for ??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM
oldblu65's Avatar
oldblu65 oldblu65 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,127
Thanks: 6
Thanked 58 Times in 57 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffercat View Post
Ok 2005 Impala, car runs great but keeps tripping on engine light and will flash occasionally. We have replaced plugs, wires, injector, switched coil packs which code did not follow to other cylinder. When I hook LED light to switch below coil pack and start car light flashes, have 13 volts coming into coil pack. Need some help before spending buddies $$$ in the wrong area. Ideas ?? Thanks

P.S shows 2 codes PO301 and 2nd is PO301 P what is the other P for ??
www.obd-codes.com/p0301
__________________
" Sometimes I grow so tired "
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
autojoe autojoe is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 225
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

check compression on number one cylinder......burned valve?carbon buildup?maybe a vacuum leak near cylinder one.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
GMCustomerService's Avatar
GMCustomerService GMCustomerService is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Good morning,
I understand wanting to be efficient with the use of resources. Have you been having this work done with one of our dealerships, because I would like to follow up with them on these repairs if so. Send me a private message with the last 8 digits of your VIN and the name of your dealer, and I'll contact them.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
buffercat buffercat is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Sarah, I used to do mechanical this is a friends vehicle. I believe all work has been at the dealership except for a resonator that was installed a month earlier to the light coming. Finding that hard to be the cause but ....He asked me to look at it, car runs smooth, we did the tests listed above, I will do compression test etc but car is maintained to the max and is not driven hard and runs perfect. I don't think 3.8's are prone to this problem. I will verify all work that was completed at dealer and if he would like to go that route with you I'll message info to you. Thanks for your interest. Paul
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffercat View Post
Sarah, I used to do mechanical this is a friends vehicle. I believe all work has been at the dealership except for a resonator that was installed a month earlier to the light coming. Finding that hard to be the cause but ....He asked me to look at it, car runs smooth, we did the tests listed above, I will do compression test etc but car is maintained to the max and is not driven hard and runs perfect. I don't think 3.8's are prone to this problem. I will verify all work that was completed at dealer and if he would like to go that route with you I'll message info to you. Thanks for your interest. Paul

I would check the injector, also the compression . #1..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
autojoe autojoe is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 225
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

already replaced the injector.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
rkvons's Avatar
rkvons rkvons is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 820
Thanks: 23
Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by autojoe View Post
already replaced the injector.
What about the wire to the injector?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvons View Post
What about the wire to the injector?

thats what I was talking about . swaping injector is not the complete test..wiring/ground etc..

also no compression readings so far.. not a common problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
buffercat buffercat is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Sorry for not posting back, we replaced the ignition control module, erased the code and was good for 2 days now light is back on . Compression test was 180-185 in all cylinders on this bank, not a issue. I did unwrap the harness to check wires all looked good, this is being a occasional mis-fire so it's being a pain to track. Only 2 things left is I may do a injector swap between #1 & 3 to see if it travels and go deeper into the harness.
P.S Sarah yes some work was done at the dealer but they where chasing as well and was costing him to much($800 to date) by trial and error. They did plugs, wires, and a fuel injection/body cleaning with no improvements, he had it back 4 times I believe. I will send you vin etc later. that being said I am not saying the dealer is having trouble but they are doing the best they can with the tools at their disposal. GM's (all manufacturers) do not have the capabities to pinpoint a problem , only send you in a specific direction. This is not only frustrating for the customer and expensive but also for the tech doing the job, so they end up doing the trial and error method hoping they will hit the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
buffercat buffercat is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

UREKA !!!!!! Swapped injectors and finally got a misfire on #3 going to order another new injector and problem should be solved. Should this not have thrown a 200 series code for the injector ?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech II Tech II is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,017
Thanks: 70
Thanked 618 Times in 610 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

That code will set if there is a "circuit" problem.......it won't set if there is a flow problem.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 AM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffercat View Post
UREKA !!!!!! Swapped injectors and finally got a misfire on #3 going to order another new injector and problem should be solved. Should this not have thrown a 200 series code for the injector ?
In post #1 by you it is stated #1 injector was replaced. so my question is who replaced it and where was this injector purchased ?

also how come the dealership could not figure this out after several expensive attempts ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
buffercat buffercat is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

I do not know where he purchased it but it was a mail in order so no refunds I\m assuming. it was not installed by the dealer. As for the dealership I cannot speak for,, they kept leaning towards plug/wire, but their next steps would have been replacing what we swapped. Even if they swapped parts the labour alone would have been quite abit at around $80 hr. Any electrical he would have to absorb as soon as it was installed. I will install a new one and post when all is good. I would like to thank eveyone for there help and that some of this may help others if they run into something similar Paul
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Can't get rid of 301 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffercat View Post
I do not know where he purchased it but it was a mail in order so no refunds I\m assuming. it was not installed by the dealer. As for the dealership I cannot speak for,, they kept leaning towards plug/wire, but their next steps would have been replacing what we swapped. Even if they swapped parts the labour alone would have been quite abit at around $80 hr. Any electrical he would have to absorb as soon as it was installed. I will install a new one and post when all is good. I would like to thank eveyone for there help and that some of this may help others if they run into something similar Paul
IF you could at some other time find the injector supplier it would be good.

still the dealership could not figure this out . this just adds to my belief that when the vehicles are past warrantee age the dealership is to be avoided..COSTS TOO DAMM MUCH !

GOOD LUCK TO YOUR FRIEND WITH THIS .
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot get rid of codes Help dpbrowne XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR 2 07-26-2008 12:51 AM
Can't get rid of this thing, urgh. wrightz28 Taurus | Taurus Wagon 1 05-04-2007 09:12 PM
Getting rid of a code 12? hardisk_c Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8 8 04-19-2007 05:39 PM
Can't get my Diagnostic Codes. What am I doing wrong ? badbrakes Corolla/Matrix/Voltz 5 07-29-2006 01:57 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts