-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
ChevMali99 ChevMali99 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buzzing? No - Sounding like a moped

Hi folks - All has been great with my 99Mali since fixing the intake antifreeze leak. For the past 2 days, however, I started to hear a buzzing sound seemingly from the front center of the car. I noticed the faster I drove the higher the pitch.

I thought at first it was probably something stuck on the tire treads, or the breaks, or something else. But whenever I rolled the windows down to verify the noise, nothing of the sort. The sound is similar to a moped or a piece of cardboard railing against bicycle rims. Thinking the sound was stemming from the drive train / the transmission I would put the car in neutral to hear if the sound would go away, but it did not; thus ruling out that possibility (or so I think... or so I hope).

Short of putting the car on a lift and getting BS by a shop... you need brakes, rotors, calipers... What is causing this buzz coming from the center panel and gets higher the faster I drive?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 PM
jyount jyount is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Buzzing? No - Sounding like a moped

That does rule out specific gears of the tranmission, BUT it is a TRANSAXLE, the differential has zilch to do with what gear you are in and everything to do with ground speed. If your noise is ground speed related and in the center area of the car I would tend to think differential bearings or something, but I would definately rule out the axles, wheel bearings, etc. first. Usually wheel bearings change tone with turning one direction or the other.
__________________
10 hours away from John Deere master certified
also master certified ASE tech. Exp. in both.
Went to school for cars, wound up staying with Deere dealer for a while, so schooling there too. Also couple years exp in GM and some GM training
Gave up wrenching for "Greener Pastures"

Current job: RN

2010 Silverado Z71 5.3L 65xxx

Wife's
2007 Suburban 1500 LTZ 5.3L 102xxx
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
ChevMali99 ChevMali99 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Buzzing? No - Sounding like a moped

Thanks for the reply... I'm not clear on something, are you suggesting the sound might be a transaxle issue?

As of this morning, I'm kinda focusing more on the center left front side of the car. I had my wife drive the car while I stood outside hoping to hear the sound but nothing. I'm gonna have to take the front tires off.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM
jyount jyount is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Buzzing? No - Sounding like a moped

The way you are talking, yes. Center left though do you possibly just have a donut gasket leak on your exhaust?
__________________
10 hours away from John Deere master certified
also master certified ASE tech. Exp. in both.
Went to school for cars, wound up staying with Deere dealer for a while, so schooling there too. Also couple years exp in GM and some GM training
Gave up wrenching for "Greener Pastures"

Current job: RN

2010 Silverado Z71 5.3L 65xxx

Wife's
2007 Suburban 1500 LTZ 5.3L 102xxx
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2010, 06:13 AM
wpbharry wpbharry is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 409
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Buzzing? No - Sounding like a moped

I remember back in the day when I had my '98 Mali, the alternator was on its last legs when I'd heard this noise, right in the location you're desribing. Couldn't hear anything at idle.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
ChevMali99 ChevMali99 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Buzzing? No - Sounding like a moped

Holy crap well wouldn't you know it! I replaced the right' front bearing. I pick up the car and sure enough sound is gone. Business as usual as you'd imagine... that is until 10 minutes into the proverbial test / victory lap, the battery icon comes on! Coincidence? I don't know, but it's suspect that you mention alternator... Makes me wonder... should I have waited? Then again, the sound was coming indeed from some sort of bearing.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hit a bump, loud buzzing sound m1chadam S-10 2 08-19-2004 10:08 PM
Buzzing sound between 2-3000rpm coldcanadian24 Prelude 1 05-15-2004 07:13 PM
Buzzing sound Mr. Death '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee 10 07-22-2003 01:55 PM
Buzzing sound? kraznik Audio/Security 8 02-10-2003 03:11 PM
buzzing sound when accelerating sylojai '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV 17 03-16-2002 12:22 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts