Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
trailblazer529
AF Newbie

"service engine soon" light question...

Hello, I'm a newbie & 2-day owner of a 2001 Blazer with TrailBlazer trim. On the 150 mile trip home from the NYC dealer where I purchased it the "service engine soon" light came on following a rest stop and re-start about 40 miles into the trip. Can anyone offer any direction on what types of faults this light covers & if there's any way to check it out at home without spending a bundle on an expensive code aquisition gadget? Thanks for any help!!!
Russell
trailblazer529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
truckguy04
AF Newbie

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, the service engine soon came on, it didn't flash though. I took my 1999 blazer to my mechanic and they said an emmission sensor was coroaded, and need to be replaced. Unfourtunatly it ended up costing about $250.
truckguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
pbird
AF Newbie

Fill up with gas and make sure the gas cap is on tight(I make sure to click 3 times.) After you drive for about 20 miles with the full tank and a tight gas cap the pressure in the tank will shut off the check ingine light. The pressure in the tank can drop after appox. 1/2 tank of gas and the check ingine light will come on.

You can also unplug your battery for 30 min. to reprogram your computer after you have tightend you gas cap and it should stay off if that is your problem.
pbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
CCCD
AF Newbie

Last year my '97 S10 Blazer service engine light would come intermittently, my friend at the Chevy dealer said it might be the gas cap. He was right in my case; put a new gas cap on and problem went away. I bought the cap at the Chevy dealer. Also I agree with pbird, I turn the cap and click several times, each time I fill up. Another data point.
CCCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:17 AM   #5
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Take it to autozone, they will pull the stored code for free and you can go from there..

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
satch1967
AF Newbie

Re: "service engine soon" light question...

Newbie here and Hi to all

Is this correct? unplugging the battery for a half an hour will reset the computer and turn off the SES light? As I may have done the gas cap thing not having it on tight enough.

Thanks
satch1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch1967
Newbie here and Hi to all

Is this correct? unplugging the battery for a half an hour will reset the computer and turn off the SES light? As I may have done the gas cap thing not having it on tight enough.

Thanks
Yes, that will reset the ecm, but you really should have autozone pull the codes to make sure that was the problem before resetting the ecm...They do it for free

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Old 06-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
someguy000001
AF Newbie

what codes will the bad gas cap puke up? i have a similar problem.
someguy000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:30 AM   #9
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy000001
what codes will the bad gas cap puke up? i have a similar problem.
TYpically the evap canister code, but really, the SES can be set by over 200 different problems...Get the code(s) and we can help you more

Old 06-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Autozone can pull the codes, tell you what it is, and even print out a very complete troubleshooting guide for your exact car, right down to the terminal on the ECM to probe.
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #11
blazerjake
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to blazerjake
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer529
Hello, I'm a newbie & 2-day owner of a 2001 Blazer with TrailBlazer trim. On the 150 mile trip home from the NYC dealer where I purchased it the "service engine soon" light came on following a rest stop and re-start about 40 miles into the trip. Can anyone offer any direction on what types of faults this light covers & if there's any way to check it out at home without spending a bundle on an expensive code aquisition gadget? Thanks for any help!!!
Russell
After vehicles sit on the lot for a while, the engine light on GM vehicles are sensitive, they need to relearn their info.. Most likely after my 8 years as a GM tech, the oxygen sensor, one of three probably kicked the light on, go to autozone, they will for free clear the code for you! Disconnecting the battery will reset everything in the computer and is not always recomended. Your vehicle likely doesnt have anything wrong with it, dont let any dealer try to sell you a new sensor for 100's of dollars when a reset and steady driving will clean the sensor out and be fine, if it was major or the sensor was bad your vehicle would run poorly! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
blazerjake is offline   Reply With Quote