-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 PM
pjw73nh pjw73nh is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 118
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000 Brake line help

A motorcyclist doesn't know how lucky he/she was today. They pulled out in front of me and I slammed on my brakes. Went to the floor. Pumped again and got a little pressure. Enough to slow the van so the biker DIDN'T get hit.

One of the rear brake lines the runs under the drivers side of the car has rusted through and is leaking. I went to Autozone today and they have 51 insh straight lines. I took them. I did not put them in yet The parts guy suggested that the local Chev dealr can get the exact ones I need (pre-formed) for not much more than the "DIY" straight ones.

Does anyone know if in fact a dealer can get these rear lines pre-formed? ANd if so, what they cost? It is well worth my money to get them if they are plug and play (with a little bleeding).

I am going to call the local Chev dealer tomorrow.

Also, these are the original lines that came with the car (I bought it brand new). What are the large cylinders that look like giant couplers that the lines go into. Are they anything special? Or just big couplers.

Thanks.

P.../NH

PS> I am doing BOTH of the runs that run parallel. The second one is goging to go soon I am sure.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
inafogg inafogg is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,744
Thanks: 10
Thanked 57 Times in 56 Posts
Re: 2000 Brake line help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw73nh View Post
A motorcyclist doesn't know how lucky he/she was today. They pulled out in front of me and I slammed on my brakes. Went to the floor. Pumped again and got a little pressure. Enough to slow the van so the biker DIDN'T get hit.

One of the rear brake lines the runs under the drivers side of the car has rusted through and is leaking. I went to Autozone today and they have 51 insh straight lines. I took them. I did not put them in yet The parts guy suggested that the local Chev dealr can get the exact ones I need (pre-formed) for not much more than the "DIY" straight ones.

Does anyone know if in fact a dealer can get these rear lines pre-formed? ANd if so, what they cost? It is well worth my money to get them if they are plug and play (with a little bleeding).

I am going to call the local Chev dealer tomorrow.

Also, these are the original lines that came with the car (I bought it brand new). What are the large cylinders that look like giant couplers that the lines go into. Are they anything special? Or just big couplers.

Thanks.

P.../NH

PS> I am doing BOTH of the runs that run parallel. The second one is goging to go soon I am sure.
dont think you'll have any luck getting a prebent line.the straight lines you bought are not hard to work with.i've done a few recently not a hard job.as far as really big couplers,not sure what your looking at.there is connectors on rear axle to split right/left wheels,a metering valve up front??
__________________
Live For Today
Yesterday is gone,
Tomorrows are'nt promised.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
pjw73nh pjw73nh is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 118
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 Brake line help

Inafogg. Tnx for the reply. Take a look at the attachments. One is of the couplers, the other from the rear "mount" that transitions to the rubber lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3271.JPG (78.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3272.JPG (95.0 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 2000 Brake line help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw73nh View Post
A motorcyclist doesn't know how lucky he/she was today. They pulled out in front of me and I slammed on my brakes. Went to the floor. Pumped again and got a little pressure. Enough to slow the van so the biker DIDN'T get hit.

One of the rear brake lines the runs under the drivers side of the car has rusted through and is leaking. I went to Autozone today and they have 51 insh straight lines. I took them. I did not put them in yet The parts guy suggested that the local Chev dealr can get the exact ones I need (pre-formed) for not much more than the "DIY" straight ones.

Does anyone know if in fact a dealer can get these rear lines pre-formed? ANd if so, what they cost? It is well worth my money to get them if they are plug and play (with a little bleeding).

I am going to call the local Chev dealer tomorrow.

Also, these are the original lines that came with the car (I bought it brand new). What are the large cylinders that look like giant couplers that the lines go into. Are they anything special? Or just big couplers.

Thanks.

P.../NH

PS> I am doing BOTH of the runs that run parallel. The second one is goging to go soon I am sure.

looking at this you have to just replace the brake line.

for a better fit use a double flare tool ,and make your own. this way you will have a correct routing of the lines. the brake lines shoulkd have new fittings to go with the replacement line. I usually buy at 25 ft rolls. this is cheaper.. if the old fittings are not rusted these can be reused..

your asking of those couplings I don't know exactly what the purpose is but,,, I would guess it is more than coupling 2 lines together...just leave them..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
inafogg inafogg is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,744
Thanks: 10
Thanked 57 Times in 56 Posts
Re: 2000 Brake line help

the rear connector looks to be a juction for hard brake line to rubber flex line
normally at a point where the body of car moves(like you thought)the others
could be a union connector but not sure(reuse as mentioned). the parts house should carry muliple sizes of lengths from 6'' - 6 ft.as far as flaring lines yourself im not into the extra time/tools needed.you prabally have about 20-$25 of parts + brake fluid.just measure the lines with tape measure they will be able to get real close

Good luck mike
__________________
Live For Today
Yesterday is gone,
Tomorrows are'nt promised.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 2000 Brake line help

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg View Post
the rear connector looks to be a juction for hard brake line to rubber flex line
normally at a point where the body of car moves(like you thought)the others
could be a union connector but not sure(reuse as mentioned). the parts house should carry muliple sizes of lengths from 6'' - 6 ft.as far as flaring lines yourself im not into the extra time/tools needed.you prabally have about 20-$25 of parts + brake fluid.just measure the lines with tape measure they will be able to get real close

Good luck mike
the double flare tool is 20-25.oo...advance auto/autozone has them..since this is not used every day don't need the heavy duty model.

this makes this and all future repairs very cheap...also it looks really good..
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake line help ebang Montana/Montana SV6 4 12-22-2010 07:05 PM
2000 cougar brake switch. HELP! MKO1988 Cougar 0 06-09-2010 09:38 PM
Rear Brakes 2000 Bravada bbusha Bravada 1 09-15-2009 06:59 PM
rigid to flex brake line help needed! northern piper Windstar 6 04-25-2008 04:17 PM
Air in brake-line - help! tsyzer Caravan | Voyager 6 02-26-2007 10:00 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts