Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
rhaltunen
AF Newbie

ABS, Trac Off Light Keep Coming On

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT. The ABS and Trac Off light keep coming on more and more frequently. There is no difference in braking performance. The other day, I heard the anti-lock brakes kick in at the same time the ABS and Trac Off lights were on. The front passenger wheel bearing was replaced about six months ago. Any idea's? Thanks
rhaltunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
goser
AF Regular

Re: ABS, Trac Off Light Keep Coming On

Do a search about that and you should come up with a whack of info. Basically I seem to recall it's a bad ABS Sensor. Did it start after your bearing was replaced? What brand did you use? It happens on my wife's car when it rains, but I've yet to get under there and find out why. Pray it's just a nicked wire somewhere...
goser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

It is most likely another bad hub bearing, or if you (or the mechanic) used an impact wrench while installing the new hub, you could have damaged that one as well.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
rhaltunen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaltunen
I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT. The ABS and Trac Off light keep coming on more and more frequently. There is no difference in braking performance. The other day, I heard the anti-lock brakes kick in at the same time the ABS and Trac Off lights were on. The front passenger wheel bearing was replaced about six months ago. Any idea's? Thanks

Thanks for the info so far. A while back, I had trouble with the car stalling out of the blue and you guys diagnosed it as a faulty crank position sensor. I brought it into the dealership and had them change it without doing a diagnostic test. They raised their eyebrows a bit after I told them I wouldn't need a new fuel filter, etc (or whatever else they were saying I needed). To make a long story short, thanks to you guys, the car does not stall anymore and I saved a BUNCH of money. Thanks again-Rodd
rhaltunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

You're very welcome, we are always glad to help, and we appreciate the feedback too. We like to hear our advice helped you save some $$$$.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
mtpina
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mtpina

i have the same problem on my '00 GT, track off and ABS light on all time, have not replaced nothing, what kind of hub bearing is, should i take to a mechanic or is something i can replace myself, or how much does it cost reparing?
thanks in advance
Del Rio, Tx

mtpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
GPNUT
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpina
i have the same problem on my '00 GT, track off and ABS light on all time, have not replaced nothing, what kind of hub bearing is, should i take to a mechanic or is something i can replace myself, or how much does it cost reparing?
thanks in advance

Just replaced Pass. front wheel-hub assemb. in my 97 GP/GT just shy of $400 for diagnostics,parts/labor
GPNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
wlkjr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPNUT
Just replaced Pass. front wheel-hub assemb. in my 97 GP/GT just shy of $400 for diagnostics,parts/labor
I did both of mine at the same time for about $320 parts and my labor. Sounds about right for a garage.
400,000 miles as of 3-15-13
01 Duramax/Allison
07 G6 convertible
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
nfoss
AF Newbie

This happened to me last month on my 97 GT. I had the dealer diagnose it, and then replaced the back driver hub with a refurbished one I bought on eBay for ridiculously cheap.
nfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

mtpina, you need to take your car to a garage that has an ABS capable scan tool (the ones Auto Zone and Advance use are not ABS capable) to determine which wheel isn't sending a speed sensor reading to the ABS. Once you narrow down which wheel it is, if you're able to do your own brakes, you can do a hub bearing. You'll need a hub puller, 36mm hub nut socket (for the front hubs) and a good torque wrench capable of a 180ft/lbs setting (depending on what brand hub you buy) to do the job correctly. Whatever you do, DO NOT use an impact wrench on ABS sensor equipped hub bearings. The hammering action will ruin the ABS sensor and you'll be doing it again real soon.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
herringtond
AF Newbie

This is happening to my 99 GT. I bought it, had the problem, took it in, they fixed it, and it stayed off for a bout a week. I took it back, they fixed it again. This time it stayed off for about 2 months. From talking to other people that have had those cars, and a buddy that runs a dealership, this happens alot. YOu can keep going in and replacing the hub assembly or you can deal with it as it doesn't really affect the car other than the traction control does not work.
herringtond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
wheelerem
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: ABS, Trac Off Light Keep Coming On

I also am having this problem with my 1999 Grand am. I had a alignment done and the transmission fluid changed two weeks ago(not sure this has anything to do with it) since them my low trac light has been coming on whenever I start moving, then my ABS light and Trac off light come on and stay on. Does anyone know if having the alignment done could have caused this.
wheelerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerem
I also am having this problem with my 1999 Grand am. I had a alignment done and the transmission fluid changed two weeks ago(not sure this has anything to do with it) since them my low trac light has been coming on whenever I start moving, then my ABS light and Trac off light come on and stay on. Does anyone know if having the alignment done could have caused this.
Since your problem is different, and it's a different vehicle, you should have started a new thread in the Grand Am forum. To answer your question, it is possible that an alignment could cause an ABS sensor to fail, especially if they used impact tools to loosen the lower strut bolts. The hammering action can and will crack the ABS sensor, causing the ABS and Trac-off lights to illuminate. It is also possible it's unrelated, as the hub bearings on your car are quite fragile and a high failure part.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
BNaylor
AF Moderator

I'd say at least half of wheel sensor problems is bad or damaged wiring. The electrical connector at the hub is subject to the elements/corrosion and a mechanic can BFFI the job up such as in an alignment or doing a brake job.

Therefore, do a thorough inspection of the wiring and electrical connector at all four wheels. Also, the wheel sensor can be ohmed out with a mulitmeter. Check for around 1K ohms at the wheel sensor contacts.

Finally, the quality of the hub bearing is important. Garbage in garbage out.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
wlkjr
AF Enthusiast

I did mine in March with AC Delcos that I got from Rich and have not had any problems from them.
400,000 miles as of 3-15-13
01 Duramax/Allison
07 G6 convertible
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix