Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Hiknbik
AF Newbie

2000 Silverado Driver Window Quit.

Truck was sitting for a month, now drivers side power window has quit working. tried switching circuit breaker. can hear clicking sound in switch and lights dim but the window will not roll down. All other electrical is working fine. Any Suggestions would be great, thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
huminski
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Silverado Driver Window Quit.

Is it very cold outside? My truck did the same thing but the window was just frozen shut. Moisture will seep into the seals and if it gets cold enough it will freeze shut.

2004 2WD 5.3 Xcab StepSide
huminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Hiknbik
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2000 Silverado Driver Window Quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminski
Is it very cold outside? My truck did the same thing but the window was just frozen shut. Moisture will seep into the seals and if it gets cold enough it will freeze shut.
Thanks for the Reply Huminski. I should probaly say it's parked in a heated garage.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
wocottchief
AF Newbie

My 2000 z71 drivers window cable broke last year...my brothers 2003 z71 drivers side window cable broke this week...maybe its the cable...it cost a couple hundred in parts..you have to buy the cable and motor (its all one unit)..and a 2 or 3 hours to rip the door apart and put it back together.

Jeff
wocottchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:12 AM   #5
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
I had to replace one of these on my driver side window. Part is called a window regulator. I saw a new one on ebay going for about $75 bucks, so I bought it and had it working again in no time.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
rchute1960
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocottchief
My 2000 z71 drivers window cable broke last year...my brothers 2003 z71 drivers side window cable broke this week...maybe its the cable...it cost a couple hundred in parts..you have to buy the cable and motor (its all one unit)..and a 2 or 3 hours to rip the door apart and put it back together.

Jeff
I have a 2000 Z71. Passenger side window regulator(cable) broke in April 2003. Drivers side quit December 2003. Have talked to GM custumer sirvice and dealer where I bought it new and GM is unwilling to provide any assistance. When I went to have it replaced, there were 2 others in there having the same thing done. Have also heard that the 2000 Grand Prix has a similar problem. The cables snapped on both of my motors. I suggest everyone call and write GM and report it to every consumer organzation there is. My tires on my 4 wheel drive are original with 70,000 miles and plenty of meat left on them but the window regulators have both been replaced. So much for the toughest, longest lasting trucks on the road. They may be but the windows don't go up and down.
rchute1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
dpatrick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiknbik
Truck was sitting for a month, now drivers side power window has quit working. tried switching circuit breaker. can hear clicking sound in switch and lights dim but the window will not roll down. All other electrical is working fine. Any Suggestions would be great, thanks.
I have the exact problem with my 2000 chev silverado 2500. can you tell us what the problem was. Thanks!
dpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
jphelps1976
AF Newbie

I have had to replace both window regulators in my 2000 Z71. First the passenger side went out, then the drivers side. I have also just replaced 2 regulators in my girlfriend's Lincoln LS, so I am now pretty well versed on how this works.

First, you have to distinguish if it is a bad regulator (which is the wire and pulley device that raises the window) or a bad motor. Basically, if you hit your window button and it sounds like the window wants to raise, then it's a good bet that your window regulator is the problem. Also, if the windows can be moved up and down by hand, that usually indicates a bad regulator cable.

Usually you will find the parts together, the regulator usually includes the new motor. They retail for about 150 from GM, I found both of mine on ebay for about $60 each. However, they were used.

Replacing it is a pretty simple process, just remove the door panel and disconnect all wiring (speakers, controls, bottom light, etc). From there, you just connect the dots. Most of them are screwed in with just about 4 or 5 bolts, no special tools need, just a socket set. The first one took me about 2 hours, but after replacing four, I can do it in about 30 minutes. Finally, something I know how to fix!!!

One more thing, if you heard a popping sound when you raised and lowered your windows, that was the sound of your cable about to break. Mine were making the noise for about a year before they gave out. I thought the noise was just due to normal wear, but after being replaced, NO MORE noise!
jphelps1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:23 PM   #9
amac209
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to amac209

lube the channels the window slides in when you replace the regulator. gm has a product called silocone emulsion it works pretty well. it's a fairly easy job to replace the regulator on those trucks just remember the new one goes in the way the old one came out.
amac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #10
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

I to Have a snapped cable in my drivers side door, Advanced Auto sold me what I thought to be the right part and after taking the door apart realized they sold me a regulator
Jimmiz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #11
jphelps1976
AF Newbie

JimmyZ71, the cable and the regulator are sold together. When the cable goes out, your replace the complete part
jphelps1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #12
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

only half my reply got posted, sorry the parts store sold me the old body style, regulator only to find out it was the wrong one once i had my door apart, The one that fits is only available at the dealer, I just wanted to give people a heads up.. if you have a 99' make sure you have your production date so they will order for the right body style.
Thanks, Jimmy
Old 03-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #13
dmilacek
AF Newbie

Everytime you get parts you need to inform the parts person that you have the new style 99 or old style 99. They made both in 99, so the parts books list both. Usually the books list the new style as a Silverado and the old as a C/K.
dmilacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:47 AM   #14
Jimmiz71
AF Enthusiast

oh trust me I stressed that I had a New Body style 99', I still ended up with the wrong part. When I called chevy to order they wanted My VIN# and Production date to ensure I would receive the correct part.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #15
dpatrick
AF Newbie

I took the door panel off today to see what was wrong with the power window. I activated the switch to roll the window and then tapped the motor with the screwdriver handel and it started working. I lubed up the tracks with grease and put it back together. So far so good. I took som pics while I had the door apart. Just email me if you want to see them. I'm not sure why some of you experience broken cables, they seem strong. I also motored the window several times while spraying wD40 on the cable. In my case I did notice some wear on the window tracks that indicated some binding. I think lubing them will help ease the operation.