Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
iam4uf
AF Newbie

2000 Windstar driver window doesnt work.

MY 2000 Ford Windstar drivers window wont work. The passenger and the back work fine just not the drivers front. I hear a clicking noise when a hit the button. I took the door panel off and looked at the window motor. How do I test the window motor? A friend of mine said that if you apply 12 volts to motor it should roll up and down. He suggested unplugging the connecter taking jumper cables and attach an extended paper click to one end and touch the motor. He said if the motor is good it should roll down. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks
iam4uf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Windstar driver window doesnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf
MY 2000 Ford Windstar drivers window wont work. The passenger and the back work fine just not the drivers front. I hear a clicking noise when a hit the button. I took the door panel off and looked at the window motor. How do I test the window motor? A friend of mine said that if you apply 12 volts to motor it should roll up and down. He suggested unplugging the connecter taking jumper cables and attach an extended paper click to one end and touch the motor. He said if the motor is good it should roll down. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks
Hello

Clicking is a good thing to hear. That means that your switch is working and what you're hearing is probably the relay clicking. What I would do is to remove the connecter from the motor and take a test light and see if you have 12 volts when the switch is moved. If you don't get power to the plug I would replace the relay. You could try switching the passenger relay with the driverside. Relays do wear out.

It's been a while since I did trouble shooting on this and I can't remember what the wires do coming to the motor. Is one for up and the other down and the ground is the door and the motor casing? Or is the polarity switched on the wires for up and down? Hopefully someone can chime in on this one.

Regards

Dan

Photos of my repairs: http://dansautopictures.shutterfly.com/
Check this out:http://threewheelmotorcyclemetro.shutterfly.co

A must read about problems Windstars have: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=672854

95 Windstar 240,000+
98 Windstar 136,000+ 09-25-2008.
85 Dodge 1 Ton Snow mover gas hog
91 Mazda Protege free beater
SW MN
LeSabre97mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
iam4uf
AF Newbie

Where are the window relays located? The clicking is coming from a silver metal box with 3 electric connecters attached. Doesnt look like it can be opened. Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
CoachKarl
AF Regular

Clicking? Would you also say a GGGGGGrinding noise coming from inside the door? Just like a noise that a power window pinion gear that has worn all it's teeth down would make? There is no relay involved here, they "Click" almost undiscernably. I'll betcha everyone in the car knows when this thing "GGGGGGGGGGGGrinds"! You test that motor as follows.

1. You've already got the door opened up.
2. Throw the ignition key to "ON"
3. Shine a flashlight directly at the window motor pinion.
4. "Mash" the Window Up/Down Button.
5. If the sound is coming from the general vacinity of where you're flashlight is pointed, replace it! (the window motor).
CoachKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
iam4uf
AF Newbie

No, the noise is Definitely not coming from the window. It just makes a click once when I go up or down with the switch. The click is coming from a metal box that has 3 electrical harnesses plugged into it under the dash right next to the fuse box on the drivers side.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
iam4uf
AF Newbie

anyone know where the window relays are on a 2000 Ford Windstar?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
CoachKarl
AF Regular

Hello,

The dreary silence you have experienced, I'm sure, is due to the fact that there are no relays involved in your problem. No-one knows of where a relay is, because, there is no relay involved. Mearly continuity. When you mash that window button, you deliver power to the Up/Down motor. That's all. The click sound you hear is a failed broken plastic pinion gear meant to drive the window rack up and down. To confirm, do the hose in your ear/stethescope trick. I'm sure I'm right about this. You must open the door cavity to fix this. Do you want more details? My only reservation is the fact that I own a 95, and my Haynes Manuel only goes through 98, and someone mentions a "master" control. Maybe I can be trumped.

Karl

Karl
Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
iam4uf
AF Newbie

I would love more info. But, Im telling you the clicking DOES NOT come from the door. It comes from a metal box under the dash on the drivers side.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
CoachKarl
AF Regular

I believe you.

It's just that . . .

Haynes 95-98 had no mention of a window relay in it's diagnosis section on the subject. If your car manual has no info on a window relay, and you hear a noise under the dash, and you want to do this yourself, THEN . . . . . .

Stick a 3' piece of tubing in one ear, a plug in the other. Get comfortable laying on the driver side floor, throw the ignition, mash the window button, and poke that tube around. Post back as to what you find.

Karl
Old 06-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf
It comes from a metal box under the dash on the drivers side.
Sounds like the Front Electronic Module (FEM) which is located under the dash as you are describing. Power to the driver's window motor is provided through this module.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
bgriek
AF Newbie

Just use a test light and probe the wires at the connection to the window motor. There are just two wires. One is hot for up and other one is hot for down. I had this problem on my 95 and now am starting to this have problem on my 00 SEL. The right side quit first on the 95 and both quit before 100k. I also got this loud clicking but had power to the motors. I hit the left motor with a hammer and and it worked for three days before it quit again. I knew it wasn't worn out so i took the left one out and took it apart. Couldn't find anything wrong with it so I just cleaned it good and sanded the brushes lightly. I put it back together and it worked for a couple of days and quit again. I tried one more time but this time I stretched the brush springs to give it more tension. I knew that I was getting a bad connection in the motor. It quit again after a few days. I finally gave up and put in new window motors and never had any more problems. I know other people who have had this problem and it always turns out to be that the motor needs replaced.
bgriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
ricer eater
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 Windstar with exactly the same behavior with the passenger side window. I took the door panel off tapped the motor with the backside of the screwdriver a few times, and now works fine. Probably a matter of time before it fails again. Any disassembly and/or install instructions available for removing and replacing the motor? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriek
Just use a test light and probe the wires at the connection to the window motor. There are just two wires. One is hot for up and other one is hot for down. I had this problem on my 95 and now am starting to this have problem on my 00 SEL. The right side quit first on the 95 and both quit before 100k. I also got this loud clicking but had power to the motors. I hit the left motor with a hammer and and it worked for three days before it quit again. I knew it wasn't worn out so i took the left one out and took it apart. Couldn't find anything wrong with it so I just cleaned it good and sanded the brushes lightly. I put it back together and it worked for a couple of days and quit again. I tried one more time but this time I stretched the brush springs to give it more tension. I knew that I was getting a bad connection in the motor. It quit again after a few days. I finally gave up and put in new window motors and never had any more problems. I know other people who have had this problem and it always turns out to be that the motor needs replaced.
ricer eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
bratoto
AF Newbie

I have the same exact issue with my driver side window. pushing the button on and off , hearing the click noise coming under the panel and window does not work. the strange part about it is that that window works whenever it wants: 3 month is off and suddenly it start working for few weeks , after that it's going off, again... or some of the other windows stop working for some period and then going back to operating. makes me feel nothing wrong with the regulator/motor. it happened few times to me before now. for last few month it did not work at all, other windows fine and i need to pass my safety insp. Could it be just the switch it self?
bratoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Searles Lewis
AF Regular

Smile Re: 2000 Windstar driver window doesnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf View Post
I have had to do this. Go to a junk yard, and take off the riveted-in engine on a window, and replace it. I have also had to do this with replacing the door lock actuator.

Here's a decent link....
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._Ford_Windstar

Here's another forum link, with a pdf for the actual plans here:

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/foru...placement.html

and then

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/foru...ndow-motor.pdf
Searles Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Searles Lewis
AF Regular

Smile Re: 2000 Windstar driver window doesnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratoto View Post
I have the same exact issue with my driver side window. pushing the button on and off , hearing the click noise coming under the panel and window does not work. the strange part about it is that that window works whenever it wants: 3 month is off and suddenly it start working for few weeks , after that it's going off, again... or some of the other windows stop working for some period and then going back to operating. makes me feel nothing wrong with the regulator/motor. it happened few times to me before now. for last few month it did not work at all, other windows fine and i need to pass my safety insp. Could it be just the switch it self?
Yes, or else the motor regulator is starting to go. It does both things when it is starting to go-intermittent and then failure.

I checked the little electric fuse box inside the door on the left hand driver's side, no problems, removed the one and then stuck it back it, nothing, then just replaced the door actuator. Now the door actuator on the passenger side and the window regulator and motor both do not work.

When I searched for it 2 years ago, I found the same problems listed all over the internet. Ford electronics stink, are really buggy, only way to be sure is to totally replace them when they start acting this way.

At a junk yard, you can pull out the switches in the door handle and the door ,if you have a punch for the rivets. Then, just take it home and re-install.

I tried fighting with it, only got cold, and irritated. I replaced it ,and it worked.
Searles Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar