Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Midnightrider1
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2000 Grand Prix Key won't turn

Hello Everyone
My Name is Frank
My granddaughter came down to visit us and when she went to get gas she turn off the enigine and now the key will not turn at all no matter what you try to do. It also has some type of button on the bottom that looks like its been broken for awhile I think its a lease button. It ia 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 dr. Her first car and only had it almost 2 weeks now. I am kind of lost on this stuff anymore kind of the old school of the easy fix auto's I still can do some things I just need a little Help here. I am not sure on what all to do.
Frank
Midnightrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Grand Prix Key won't turn

Insert another key, or a nail, or whatever will fit, into the emergency access hole right beneath the key cylinder- You should have to remove the access cover (size of nail head or such) first. This will move the lock mechanism to allow you to turn the key. The electronic solenoid is not working that normally does this.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Is this a SE, GT or GTP model and how many miles?

The center console shifter will affect whether you can get key release so check that out too. Associated with the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock). First it has to be in PARK. With ignition to ON, foot on brake pedal and shifter in PARK what happens when you hit the button on the top of the shifter knob. You should hear the key release solenoid at the steering column click/clunk. If it does that then you could have a bad key release solenoid or even a bad key cylinder. If it doesn't do that then the issue is back at the shifter assembly.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Midnightrider1
AF Newbie

It has something in the emergency access hole couldn't see last night I didn't see no cover covering up the emergency access hole. Yes there is a cover by the key switch I about 1 1/2 square kind of. So if I stick a key or a nail or what ever in that emergency access hole it should release the lock. I will have to see what is in there now. My neiphew is on his way over and going to try to help out. Thank You. I need all the help I can get Im a old time shade tree guy LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Midnightrider1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post

The center console shifter will affect whether you can get key release so check that out too. Associated with the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock). First it has to be in PARK. With ignition to ON, foot on brake pedal and shifter in PARK what happens when you hit the button on the top of the shifter knob. You should hear the key release solenoid at the steering column click/clunk. If it does that then you could have a bad key release solenoid or even a bad key cylinder. If it doesn't do that then the issue is back at the shifter assembly.

Its a SE 4 door dedan
Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Midnightrider1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post

Cannot turn the key at all. It stuck on off will not turn one way or the other. I can move the shifter thats no problem just the key will not turn and will not unlock the calom at all
Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Make sure it is engaged FULLY in park. Also if the steering wheel is locked and binding you need to wiggle the steering wheel as you try to turn the key.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Midnightrider1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightrider1 View Post
It has something in the emergency access hole couldn't see last night I didn't see no cover covering up the emergency access hole. Yes there is a cover by the key switch I about 1 1/2 square kind of. So if I stick a key or a nail or what ever in that emergency access hole it should release the lock. I will have to see what is in there now. My neiphew is on his way over and going to try to help out. Thank You. I need all the help I can get Im a old time shade tree guy LOL
Thank You for this advice it work like a charm. They had a pencil stuck up in there from what I could tell cause what ever it was wasn't there today but was a part of a pencil on the floor. Granddaughter had some other guys look at it earlier. So I took me a nail with me stuck it in the access hole took a bit to find the right place so it is more like a reset button from what it felt like. It was spring to it as you push it and it starts every time now. She has the nail in her console and your instructions printed out. She going to the daler tomorrow and see what is all covered under policy.

Thanks again for this info wooo hoooo.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Midnightrider1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd View Post
Insert another key, or a nail, or whatever will fit, into the emergency access hole right beneath the key cylinder- You should have to remove the access cover (size of nail head or such) first. This will move the lock mechanism to allow you to turn the key. The electronic solenoid is not working that normally does this.

I quoted on the wrong one a bit ago thank you
Thank You for this advice it work like a charm. They had a pencil stuck up in there from what I could tell cause what ever it was wasn't there today but was a part of a pencil on the floor. Granddaughter had some other guys look at it earlier. So I took me a nail with me stuck it in the access hole took a bit to find the right place so it is more like a reset button from what it felt like. It was spring to it as you push it and it starts every time now. She has the nail in her console and your instructions printed out. She going to the daler tomorrow and see what is all covered under policy.

Thanks again for this info wooo hoooo.