Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
TOMRICH
AF Newbie

Angry Traction Control System

I have a 2001 silhouette and the Service Traction System message displays in the message center and the Traction System is turned off. I have noticed that this only happens when the headlights (not the running lights) are on and the van is in reverse or you use the right blinker. The dealer told me that my transmission was slipping and need to be rebuilt, it does not SLIP. Any suggestions on where to look for this problem.
TOMRICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
gls02
AF Regular

Re: Traction Control System

Take a look at the circuit boards for the brake lights bulbs. Check for melting of the plastic where the bulbs connect. Check all of the bulbs (brake, reverse, turn signal) for melting at the circuit board. Strange things happen to the electrical system when there is a problem with these boards.

Does your cruise control still work?

If you need new circuit boards you can buy "new" circuit boards on Ebay.
gls02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMRICH
I have a 2001 silhouette and the Service Traction System message displays in the message center and the Traction System is turned off. I have noticed that this only happens when the headlights (not the running lights) are on and the van is in reverse or you use the right blinker. The dealer told me that my transmission was slipping and need to be rebuilt, it does not SLIP. Any suggestions on where to look for this problem.
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the DEALER is trying to get your money.

I believe the Traction Control system is part of the BRAKING system, not the transmission.

I did find a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that applies to 2000-2005 GM minivans & a couple other GM vehicles. The TSB is #01-08-45-005B and is dated Oct. 14, 2004.

It mentions some possibly corroded or bent pins in connector C305, which is located on the floor to the rear of the driver's seat. You should be able to see the connector from BELOW the van (outside).

It says that water may get into the connector (from inside or outside) and cause the pins to corrode, or that the female terminals of connector may have spread apart and causing intermittent connections.

I'm thinking that this could possibly be the problem because this only happens when you are drawing extra power (to run lights, blinkers, etc.), and a poor connection would tend to show up under those conditions.

Almost forgot: this connector carries signals from the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) and the fuel system.

Let us know what you find.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
newt76
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Traction Control System

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. I have a 2002 olds silhouette and had the same problem with my traction light coming on and no cruise control. Had the two rear circuit boards replaced in the tailights. Cost was $42.39 a piece. that fixed the cruise control. For the traction control light coming on they replaced a melted brake switch. cost was $10.52 for the switch. Should mention that I had the work done at the local gm dealer and the price is without the labor . Hope this helps anybody
newt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Because of this thread's age I have moved the pertinent posts to a new thread found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=941145
This thread is nearly 3 years old. In the future check the last reply date , and if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date, avoid resurrecting it, rather start a new thread to continue the discussion, or add to it. You can link to the old thread if you want to or feels it aids in the discussion.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette