Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #16
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Best AMT kit is their 1970 Camaro Z28 IMO
I hear that. If that front end was just a little more convincing though. I wish they would include the white stripes as well. I also liked their 66 Nova pro street. If built nicely, it`s pretty convincing. I wish I could find another one of these to build.

Quote:
Revell and AMT are 2 manufacturers I avoid as best I can, for obvious reasons.
Actually, I think Revell has gotten quite a bit better. They used to be the absolute worst with flash, sometimes making it hard to tell what was flash and what was the part. But I think they`ve improved a bit. I am working on their 69 Z28 kit, and the details and proportions are excellent, and the flash is minimal (similar to the Tamiya cycle I am doing right now). Their newer Corvette kits, especially the 67`s, are spectacular in my opinion. The Cobra in my sig was one of the best detailed kits I`ve built so far IMO.

1/12th `69 Z/28 Camaro and 1/12 `67 Corvettes
Hawk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #17
NortherntoucH
AF Enthusiast

i only use revell and amt kits because they're the only ones that make decent enough cars to turn into lowriders, all of the other companys, you either build stock or rice it out to the max...

:.:AkA Dj Distyll:.:
NortherntoucH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:28 PM   #18
dag65
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to dag65
Re: Model kit complaint department..Starting with AMT 1972 Nova SS (rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortherntoucH
all amt kits are horrible...

the undercarriages are one piece...sink marks all over the body.

thats all i have to say.
Not true at all, have you built every kit ever offered by AMT? LOL
I have several and they vary from kit to kit, IMO the 67 Impla SS is really nice and has a seperate frame. The Edsel Pacer is excellent as well although not one of my fravorite cars.
Ahhh one could go on and on................
dag65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #19
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

Maybe we should start a list of great models we`ve built, and a list of not so great ones. Maybe have a short review of each one, and make it a sticky thread at the top? It would be nice to have something similar to a FAQ, so everyone knows what kits are great and which ones not to waste money on. Just a crazy idea.

Old 08-27-2003, 03:25 PM   #20
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Re: Model kit complaint department..Starting with AMT 1972 Nova SS (rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk312
Maybe we should start a list of great models we`ve built, and a list of not so great ones. Maybe have a short review of each one, and make it a sticky thread at the top? It would be nice to have something similar to a FAQ, so everyone knows what kits are great and which ones not to waste money on. Just a crazy idea.
Thats a good idea. I like it. Unfortunately, a lot of people have differing opinions on kits. The AMT '49 Ford and the AMT Chevy 454 SS truck are both really decent kits, as is the Revell Datsun 510. I even really enjoyed putting the Revell Civic together, I had very few fit problems and what problems I did have were easy to fix. But a lot of people complain about AMT and Revell, particularly the Civic. These are great kits, I think, though not on par with Tamiya.

There are a few really honestly awful cars out there, but I really take issue with the folks that like to condemn an entire manufacuter because the moldings weren't perfect and because it took a little work to get the car to look right (that said, I agree there are kits out there that are awful). It has to also be pointed out that Revell and AMT make many, many different kits and sell them for very cheap. They just can't compete with Tamiya quality wise, who has a small lineup and sells for about twice the price.

I like your idea a lot, it would be nice to have a depository for kit reviews. I would refer to it often if it was good. I just fear that it would turn into an "Everyone sucks except Tamiya" thread, and that won't be good for anybody. And I don't really care to have to wade through a bunch of poor reviews for a good kit written by a bunch of people who can't see past a few easily fixable flaws.

Note: I'm not saying there aren't crappy kits out there. Just that a few people don't give credit where due.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:35 PM   #21
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

Perhaps we could do a point-counter point type deal, where there is one more positive review beside a more scrutinizing review? I would think we could create several areas we could rate kits from 1-5, and then expand on the ratings. For instance, we could rate them in:
* accuracy
* level of detail
* parts fit quality
* precision of molding (can`t think of what to call not having to fix mold lines, seams, etc.)
* difficulty
* decal clarity
* build options
* chrome quality

I`m just tossing around ideas now, but there are alot of kits I wish I would have been prepared for and wish I wouldnt have purchased.

Old 08-27-2003, 04:10 PM   #22
dag65
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Model kit complaint department..Starting with AMT 1972 Nova SS (rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
Thats a good idea. I like it. Unfortunately, a lot of people have differing opinions on kits. The AMT '49 Ford and the AMT Chevy 454 SS truck are both really decent kits, as is the Revell Datsun 510. I even really enjoyed putting the Revell Civic together, I had very few fit problems and what problems I did have were easy to fix. But a lot of people complain about AMT and Revell, particularly the Civic. These are great kits, I think, though not on par with Tamiya.

There are a few really honestly awful cars out there, but I really take issue with the folks that like to condemn an entire manufacuter because the moldings weren't perfect and because it took a little work to get the car to look right (that said, I agree there are kits out there that are awful). It has to also be pointed out that Revell and AMT make many, many different kits and sell them for very cheap. They just can't compete with Tamiya quality wise, who has a small lineup and sells for about twice the price.

I like your idea a lot, it would be nice to have a depository for kit reviews. I would refer to it often if it was good. I just fear that it would turn into an "Everyone sucks except Tamiya" thread, and that won't be good for anybody. And I don't really care to have to wade through a bunch of poor reviews for a good kit written by a bunch of people who can't see past a few easily fixable flaws.

Note: I'm not saying there aren't crappy kits out there. Just that a few people don't give credit where due.

Good points, and I would also like to point out that Tamiya does not make many U..S subjects, especially my favorites- Muscle Cars and Customs so I have no choice but to make the others the best I can
Old 08-27-2003, 05:55 PM   #23
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Hawk- I'm really liking your idea more and more. I think that if there was a standard review method, then a lot of personal bias could be avoided by making the reviewer think of each individual point one at a time, instead of getting frustrated with a sinkhole and dismissing the entire kit as garbage.

There have been a few threads already where people busted open the box and reviewed it, and I liked them, and thought of doing some myself. I think that this sort of service would be great for the modelling community here. I like your picks for categories, though if I were going to average those to come up with a rating for the entire kit, I would omit "difficulty." But that's ok, if there is going to be a true rating system bugs will have to be worked out.

Ideally, the thought in my mind says, it would be best as a sub-forum similar to in-progress, completed. That way each thread could be a car, and responses would be counter points.... "No, I found the rear deck on my STi to be incorrect," for example. But that is just silly. Too big for this little idea.

However, I do like the idea of a moderated, sticky thread. The first post being rules and considerations for would-be reviewers. Any idea who to pitch it to?

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #24
dag65
AF Enthusiast

great ideas, and if they are good enough with a few pics our friends at SA might be able to use them
Old 08-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #25
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

Wow. So I actually had a good idea?

Quote:
Any idea who to pitch it to?
I`ll pm the mods and get them in here to see what they say.
I think we should have participation from members of the board. Maybe have someone review the....um...reviews before they are posted? Maybe that`s not necessary? It would be nice to have the reviews, and if possible, maybe even a link to samples pictures of the built kit if someone has a picture of it in the gallery. With all the diversity here, we could cover alot of ground. We could even review older kits if we have alot of ebay`ers on here.
I think you`re right about people favoring one manufacturer over the other. Hopefully the majority here just like building models, no matter who makes them.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:45 PM   #26
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

The mods have been notified. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?