Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 12:57 AM   #106
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Ahem. Razorgst, I found out about the Hakosuka through my membership in the JMA. If you aren't familiar with this group, the "John Morton Army" is a club of early Nissan/Datsun fanatics whose posterchild race car is the BRE Datsun 510 that dominated the old SCCA Trans-Am under 2.5L class. This car is a close relative of the 510 (Bluebird to those of you on the other side of the Pacific) and, in my opinion, much more handsomely styled, even though that adds weight. No, I haven't had the oppurtunity to drive an Hakosuka, but if it's anything like the 510's I've been in, then I have good reason to desire one.

As for Gran Turismo as an information source, it's barebones info at the most. Accurate, maybe, but I'd turn to one of Godfrey Eaton's motorbooks (I own a tattered copy of his Ferrari Retrospect) first.

I don't appreciate being told just how I get my information. I'm far from being the typical American youth. I know for a fact that the typical American youth wouldn't want to deal with installing hardened valve seats in the cylinder head of his car simply so that he could run unleaded without damaging the engine or buying additives. I've been around automobiling since my father took me to the now razed Cloverleaf Speedway when I was two. I was in quarter midgets at seven, redesigning my quarter midget at ten, breaking my collarbone in my redesigned quartermidget at 10 1/2, and moving on into sportscars by age twelve. All this time, I've studied cars as if studying fine art. How many people can say that they're a friend of Bobby Rahal's? Or that they had the privelege to sit and chat with the likes of Olivier Gendebien, Juan Manuel Fangio, Roger Penske, and Phil Hill? How many people have ever been in a Lamborghini Miura SV at 180mph and felt the nose lifting off the ground because of the shapely Bertone body? Or know how a 1962 Corvair Monza coupe reacts at 80mph on a gravel road?

Guess what, that's a glimpse into my motoring experience and I've still got years of life ahead of me. Go ahead, call me an unlearned kid. I'll remember it next time I'm sitting in my cousin's garage, helping him put the finishing touches on his Series II Jaguar E-type coupe.

For the rest of you, I've got a Metallica trivia question too! :angel: Which Metallica song is actually a cover of a Queen hit?
Old 12-27-2002, 01:04 AM   #107
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Quote:
Originally posted by Octagon

For the rest of you, I've got a Metallica trivia question too! :angel: Which Metallica song is actually a cover of a Queen hit?

Thats Easy... Stone Cold Crazy.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 12-27-2002, 01:06 AM   #108
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Infact.. everysong off the Garage Inc. Album was a Cover song.

Disc 1 was newly recorded songs for the Album itself.
Disc 2 was all previously recorded songs from B Sides and One offs from the past.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 12-27-2002, 01:17 AM   #109
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Jeez. You know your Metallica.

But I'll bet few people know Jethro Tull like I know Jethro Tull. I've even got Blodwyn Pig LP's on the way.

Tull trivia: Who was the first guitarist for the band Jethro Tull? He played on their first two albums, then was traded for Blodwyn Pig's guitarist Martian Barre when Ian Anderson came to the conclusion that his style didn't flow with the Tull sound.

Hint: He later went on to play lead guitar for the band "Earth".
Old 12-27-2002, 01:57 AM   #110
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Gah.. I dont know Jethro Tull to well

But I do know they beat Metallica in 1991 or 1992 I believe at the VH1 Music awards for Best Heavy Metal Album of the Year or someshit... I'm still pissed about it. Jethro Tull isnt heavy at all...

Sorry My info is terrible tonight my brain just hurts Hahaha.
Been sitting at the computer all day recieving Emails to my car Ad... hopefully the guy coming tommorow will buy it and i'll be trouble freeee... Yayy... *claps*

Old 12-27-2002, 02:47 AM   #111
GTi-VR6_A3
H4X0R T0 T3H M4X0R

Send a message via AIM to GTi-VR6_A3
Quote:
Originally posted by RACER D12
The mercedes benz SL55, the Jaguar XKR, BMWs Z8 and 5series with the 4.9 V8 would OWN the skyline.

If its not German its not a sports car:hehe:

GERMANS OWNSJU :ylsuper
if only it were that easy...

-GTi-VR6_A3
Old 12-27-2002, 05:51 AM   #112
Civicgurl
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Civicgurl
Quote:
Originally posted by RACER D12
The mercedes benz SL55, the Jaguar XKR, BMWs Z8 and 5series with the 4.9 V8 would OWN the skyline.

If its not German its not a sports car:hehe:

GERMANS OWNSJU :ylsuper
the bmw z8 5series is an inline 8

and germans OWN concentration camps, not the skyline.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:16 AM   #113
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
woooopsshhhh! *civicgurl pimp smackn'*

Z8's have:

Type: 5.0L V8
Displacement (cc/ci): 4941/302
Valves: 32
Horsepower: 394@6600
Torque: 368@3800

and they run in the range of $130,000!

How do I know?.....Who drove one into a 90 degree right turn at 50 in 2nd hanging the ass out while the owner of the car clung to the right arm of the driver like a baby to a rattle?
Oh, Yeah!....ME!

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
Old 12-27-2002, 10:33 AM   #114
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
Quote:
Nope they are V8s at least thats what it said on the BMW site.
Quote:
First I was only playing, I do love german engineering but I would not make such a bold statement. But the cars I said would or I should say should beat the skyline and come on dont knock german cars they make some of the best sports cars in the world. Also the fastest car in the world is german(its a benz) and most of the top ten is also german. But comparing German and Japanese cars is hard because they have different valuse Germans go for speed and handle at any cost MOST of the time but they also make really nice Lux cars but Japanese to me seem to go more for traction rallying and low end getup and go power but taper off on the high end, and they go for affordabilitY. Thats the one thing I hate about German cars their too exspensive guess i will never own that Porsche GT2 or a Ferrari (gos to corner and crys himself to sleep)
Old 12-27-2002, 12:26 PM   #115
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
One of the reasons production Japenese cars "taper off on the high end" is due to the car companies having a mutual agreement to approximately 280hp. Word is that their breaking the agreement.....?

"made for traction rallying and low end get up"

I'm not sure what you mean by that.. But there are many Japenese cars that'll tear up a road course.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:05 PM   #116
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Quote:
Originally posted by Civicgurl

concentration camps hahahaha......I like you......I like you alot......

so I decided to battle the nazi's for you the concept car coming out that is a 5 series is a inline 8 with the germans notorious Copy of VTEC (VANOS), the z8 is a v8 double vanos.

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicgurl
First I was only playing, I do love german engineering but I would not make such a bold statement. But the cars I said would or I should say should beat the skyline and come on dont knock german cars they make some of the best sports cars in the world. Also the fastest car in the world is german(its a benz) and most of the top ten is also german. But comparing German and Japanese cars is hard because they have different valuse Germans go for speed and handle at any cost MOST of the time but they also make really nice Lux cars but Japanese to me seem to go more for traction rallying and low end getup and go power but taper off on the high end, and they go for affordabilitY. Thats the one thing I hate about German cars their too exspensive guess i will never own that Porsche GT2 or a Ferrari (gos to corner and crys himself to sleep)
Ok kid who let you off the short bus? What (benz) is the fastest car in the world???????? I was pretty shure it was a mclaren F1 and as far as I know they have always been BMW. "Japanese cars go for low end power but taper off on the high end" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA are you serious......hahahhahaHAHAHAhahaha so your saying japanese cars are built for low end torque, Japanese cars are all about a longer gear. Also last time I checked.......Ferrari wasen't german............ go look at the flag on their website......{I read you just imported a skyline? and your telling me german cars are too expensive?} Oh this one's getting PM'ed to a few skyline friends, as well as hybridsol. {crying} I want him to witness this.

Old 12-27-2002, 05:29 PM   #117
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
I think he was referring to the gearing of most Japanese cars, not the engine powerband. Also, when was VTEC first introduced? I know Porsche was playing around with Variocam at the end of the 80s, so I wouldn't be so quick to accuse the Germans of copying the Japanese.

Also, the components that make the McLaren F1 the fasted road car in the world are the German engine and transmission. I don't even know why it's considered the fastest road car, as this car is faster, and performs better in every respect(except crash testing :hehehe: )

http://members.tripod.com/auto-tunin...pide/dauer.htm

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:03 PM   #118
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
Quote:
Ok kid who let you off the short bus? What (benz) is the fastest car in the world???????? I was pretty shure it was a mclaren F1 and as far as I know they have always been BMW. "Japanese cars go for low end power but taper off on the high end" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA are you serious......hahahhahaHAHAHAhahaha so your saying japanese cars are built for low end torque, Japanese cars are all about a longer gear. Also last time I checked.......Ferrari wasen't german............ go look at the flag on their website......{I read you just imported a skyline? and your telling me german cars are too expensive?} Oh this one's getting PM'ed to a few skyline friends, as well as hybridsol. {crying} I want him to witness this.
Heres the list the Mclaren is 11th on the list(this is from supercars.net)

1. 433 kph / 269.1 mph 1938 Mercedes-Benz W125 Record
2.409.9 kph / 254.7 mph 1988 Chevrolet Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette
3. 406 kph / 252.3 mph 2002 Bugatti 16/4 Veyron
4.403 kph / 250.4 mph 2001 Bugatti 16/4 Veyron Concept
5. 402.3 kph / 250.0 mph 1994 Dauer 962 LeMans
6.402.3 kph / 250.0 mph 1992 Vector WX3 Concept
7. 400 kph / 248.5 mph 2001 Lotec Sirius Concept
8.400 kph / 248.5 mph 1939 Mercedes-Benz W154 Record
9. 390 kph / 242.3 mph 2000 Koenigsegg CC
10.386.2 kph / 240.0 mph 2002 Koenigsegg CC 8S
11. 386.2 kph / 240.0 mph 1997 McLaren F1

And about the R33 i did get one a model that was a joke i have been waiting for some one to call me on that. And about Ferrari I didnt say they were german but I still want one
Old 12-27-2002, 09:05 PM   #119
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

The McLaren (the real McLaren) is a Kiwi. Yes folks, the McLaren sportscars that dominated the Can-Am in the 60's were Chevy powered aluminum tubs built by New Zealander Bruce McLaren. This brilliant engineer/driver was killed testing the McLaren M8D Can-Am car, I believe at either Elkhart Lake or the old Watkins Glen. It may also have been Mosport, but I can't say for certain.

What I do know is that you seriously talk apples to oranges when you mention tuner cars like the Callaway Corvette, or concepts like the Veyron, alongside of full-fledged production cars. As far as I'm concerned, the McLaren F1, since it uses an outsourced engine, isn't a production car either. Until a manufacturer steps up with their own homebrewed supercar, the battle over "who's fastest" ended with the Lamborghini Diablo/Bugatti EB110 fight at the beginning of the 90's.

Personally speaking, it's a rather dull fight to hear of. I'm more impressed by cars like the Lotus Elise or Mazda MP3, both of which blast through the 60ft slalom quicker than Vettes. Ultimate handling, that's impressive.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:14 PM   #120
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Oh yes, and the answer to my Tull trivia question is none other than Tony Iommi. Better known for his work as the lead guitarist of the power trio Earth, which later became the heavy metal pioneer band Black Sabbath.

Yep, there's a link between Ozzy Osbourne and Ian Anderson.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing