Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
Colour choice input appreciated

I'd appreciate your input as to which Tamiya (or Alclad) paints you think would be a close approximation to the silver on this car's roof and bumpers.

I have gloss aluminium, silver leaf and some maybe some other TS colors available but I rarely use them so I don;t really know how they look on larger surfaces.

Thanks for any help/experience you can share.

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Re: Colour choice input appreciated

Gloss aluminum is their most "normal" silver and you would be hard pressed to find anything better for the job. Silver leaf is the "bright, I really want to be like chrome but dammit it will never happen" shade, and it doesn't play well w/other TS colors, and Mica Silver is a bit cooler and more appropriate for more modern cars.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
Gloss aluminum is their most "normal" silver and you would be hard pressed to find anything better for the job. Silver leaf is the "bright, I really want to be like chrome but dammit it will never happen" shade, and it doesn't play well w/other TS colors, and Mica Silver is a bit cooler and more appropriate for more modern cars.
Thanks
TBH I was hoping for your input - you know those colours inside out

Do I recall correctly reading that it can behave a little temperamentally and needs very thin coats to avoid "pooling"?

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
spideyman
AF Regular

It’s hard to tell from the picture, my suggestion is do what I always do. Get some scrap plastic (old parts tree, spare part, plastic spoon) and spray the paint on to that the way you would if it was the actual part. That will tell you exactly what the paint will look like, and then compare with your picture.

Here is a picture to help illustrate what I mean, these are two colors that I had paint matched and I had sprayed samples of....

Hope this helps and good luck.

Current builds:
1950 Chevy Street Truck: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=953839
Supra Drifter (FINISHED): http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...66#post6109966
1966 Volkswagen Beetle "Showroom Stock": http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=967968
1/12 Datsun 240Z: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...90#post6415290
spideyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
ChillyB
AF Regular

It looks to me very much like Model Master metalizer aluminum with a gloss clear over it.
ChillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyB View Post
It looks to me very much like Model Master metalizer aluminum with a gloss clear over it.
I don't disagree: dunno know if the real stuff is bare steel but I ever felt it like polished metal: in this case what count more for me is "metal appeal" so scale correct metal particles, that (great) TS colors hasn't (even worst acryl matt bases like Zeros). MM Metalizer has very nice fine particles, but you lost almost all the "real" appeal with the coating..

I have in mind crazy idea, and I'm sure you'll be able to win the challange, but I leave to your imagination

Ok small clue: you done something similar on a 356 front hood..... (despite tooooooo flat )

Edit: forgot.... bare metal alu foil?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

The silver on the bumpers of Elans are very close in appearance to what you get on a modern alloy wheel in that there is no real visible particle, unlike what you get in a regular metallic paint.
To that end, I reckon TS17 is the way to go if you can get in to lay down flat. Not sure if you even need to clear it afterwards.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
I reckon TS17 is the way to go if you can get in to lay down flat. Not sure if you even need to clear it afterwards.
You are right IMO. That's the route I took in the end. I lightly smoothed it out with 6000 micromesh and won;t be putting any clear on it. I think the final result is quite similar to the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoleMan
I have in mind crazy idea, and I'm sure you'll be able to win the challange, but I leave to your imagination

Ok small clue: you done something similar on a 356 front hood..... (despite tooooooo flat )
You gotta be kiddin' me?!!?!?
Must have been an awesome Remole and Pizza party last night!! (with the emphasis on the vino )

Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

I personally think that TS17 has very large particles and TS30 is MUCH finer - definitely use TS30 if you want a less metallic look.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling