Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to deltableh Send a message via AIM to deltableh Send a message via MSN to deltableh Send a message via Yahoo to deltableh Send a message via Skype™ to deltableh
WIP: Dual Ferraris

Well, here are my two entries into the Ferrari build-off. Both are Revell of Germany kits, and frankly, they're both really nice. I'm quite happy with them so far. I will be building this kits side by side, and since I now have the exteriors all painted up, I'm set for bringing them back to school to finish them on the bits of spare time I have there. So, here is what I have so far, not pictured are the starts of the engines that need to be painted when I get back from a long weekend visiting my grandfather in Florida.

The Superamerica is Boyd's Blue 'n' Purple, while the 599 GTB is TS-51 over a flat black base. Enjoy!

EDIT: Both colors are actually darker than they look in the pictures; it's raining outside so I had to take pictures with the flash.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Ferrari TR
Not A Hoarder!

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR
Re: WIP: Dual Ferraris

Nice!
I think you mean "Black and Blue pearl" which may be the best color in the Boyd's line. Transparent black with blue pearl.
Ferrari TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

Cool! Join in on the Ferrari fun!
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to deltableh Send a message via AIM to deltableh Send a message via MSN to deltableh Send a message via Yahoo to deltableh Send a message via Skype™ to deltableh

Yeah, it's been a lot of fun. I'm in Florida now, but I love the comments. I think I'm gonna try my first attempt at polishing and compound on these two cars, as soon as I can find some Tamiya stuffs
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Thegs
AF Newbie

Looks like the Superamerica has some orange peel though. Better wet sand it and give it another coat (you will lose the little dust particals aswell). Did you clear coat this cars to? Love to see more progress on the 599, this should be a great Revell to build.

Gerwin
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, there's a bit of peel in a couple places. I just haven't wet sanded before, and frankly, I'm scared of ruining the paint and the model. I dunno what grit or anything to use, or how much water, or other stuff... and I don't think there was an FAQ or tutorial on it. If I'm wrong, please, tell and link me.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
tigeraid
Authorized Vendor

Welcome to the contest! I agree, a little wetsand will help. And don't be afraid of it, just use an appropriately fine grit and try to avoid sanding near the edges or peaks of the body contours where the paint is the lightest.

Sure there isn't a wetsand/polish tutorial in the FAQ or Tutorial threads?

tigeraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraid
Sure there isn't a wetsand/polish tutorial in the FAQ or Tutorial threads?
Yeah, I just checked, actually, to be sure. Thanks for the welcome, by the way, and also, for Thegs, the cars are not clearcoated yet. And the 599 is a great kit thus far. My next update will be with the engines, I hope.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

did you actually the articles or did you just glance at the thread titles?

this one talks about the polishing stages after sanding

this one talks about another finishing product but within it, they also talk about sanding and the grit of papers you should be looking at.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

I read the one about compound, and then I figured that the Meguiars article was more of the same. The one about compound is what showed me that minor orange peel can be taken out with the compound, so I figured I'd just use that.

But thank you, DM, I'll keep that in mind tomorrow when I get home from Florida. I believe I have some 2000 grit lying around... I'll just need to get my hands on some Meguiars, maybe Wednesday.

Last edited by deltableh; 03-06-2007 at 12:18 AM.
deltableh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #11
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Well, I lost my original rear bumper, and so I went out and got myself another Superamerica kit, and then prepped and painted that body. I also need to get more blue paint for the 599, and I polished through the paint and I ran out of that can. Pictures of the Superamerica. Sorry that they're dark in places.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltableh
Well, I lost my original rear bumper, and so I went out and got myself another Superamerica kit
You could have just ordered a new bumper from Revell USA for $3.50
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

Well, I know that for next time. Now I have a box of spare parts, which is always nice. Here's the body pictured above in daylight... this paint doesn't photograph the best :-/ It's a lot more vibrant in person

Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Damn, that's a nice shine!

Now build it!
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
deltableh
AF Enthusiast

bigfrit: Coming from you, my biggest critic (don't worry, water under the bridge), that's a wicked compliment. Thank you.

The engine is being built... I just need to decal the airboxes and I can't friggin' find scissors! And I don't wanna chance tearing the decal sheet with an X-Acto like I've done in the past. I'd rather wait on it than ruin decals.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street