Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod Post topics for any "Works In Progress" Muscle Car-Hot Rod vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #16
Khier
AF Regular

Re: God Help him !!!!!

Experience shows ruined surface become hard like a rock when they are primed. For some reason the primer adheres stronger to etched plastic than the smooth one. Perhaps roughness created by etching increases the surface area for the primer to fill. Try to use a primer or a filler primer and wet sand. Alternatively you can keep this body for a junk yard diorama. It looks incredibly realistic for fire damage as mentioned earlier. You may find here or there a resin conversion kit designed for your Camaro to have a variant not available in the market.
Khier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
MattRS2000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod_k2
Erm,you know what I would do?!
Since some panel lines are lost-clogged,or something,I would,you know...Do a custom camaro?

Really,with all those lost details and things,I think it really looks custom. And cool!

{And no,this is not a bad joke!}
This is the first thing I thought too, you can make a really cool smooth looking street machine, with super gloss paint it will look great!

MattRS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
michael lambert
AF Regular

Yea just the body is really really in rough shape. I put a coat of paint on it now and will check it tonight and see what it looks like. i might have to put a coat of body filler over some of it anways.
michael lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

If the body has a rough texture, you'll be hard pressed to fix that with just paint. Paint hides nothing. If you really want to try to salvage it, go for it but if you get frustrated, stop. This is a pretty readily available kit, and I know I certainly wouldn't be bothered to get a new one just for the body. Hell, good excuse to make a nice detailed engine to put next to it or... there's a million uses for a Chevy 350.

I'd reckon this body a good start for a nice phantom custom - ie, what if Salvador Dali was into American muscle instead of paint? Drop it back into that cleaner and see what happens!

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
jmwallac
AF Enthusiast

I think that kit must be jinxed because I f'ed up that body at least 3 times before I got it right. I shaved off the door handles and most of the other trim work because all the detail was gone. If I had to do it again, I'd fill in those side gils as well. If the body isn't too mushy from the thinner experiment with it! What have you got to lose; it's already messed up, right?

Here's how mine ended up:

jmwallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
michael lambert
AF Regular

Well here is attempt two, i must say it aint looking all that great. However its a great pass time while i wait for paint to dry on other projects

I am thinking one more sanding some putty alittle more primer i might be off to the races

Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
DSM-Mark
AF Enthusiast

Let it go, man, let it go.

Or put it back in your dip and get it back to how your brother left it! It would be great in a rusto diorama!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #23
michael lambert
AF Regular

Yee haww.. we are getting someplace.. lol

Alright so sanded it down beat on it alittle bit through the sanding process i managed to break a couple of peices that went down the drain

So i picked up some Styrene strips so i am going to attempt to do some more putty work and glue it up. Due to the loss of details and such i filled in the side vents as well as filled in the wiperblades and that area.

I know most are saying just toss it and move on, however i am having fun with this one and getting to do alot with it and learn alot.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
michael lambert
AF Regular

Okay take it easy, This is my first model in like 5 years and first time i have taken time to try and fix something

I took the styrene and rebuilt the apilers, i removed the other one too as it was really weak and warped. I also cut out the rest of the rear and put in a new peice all the way across.

I have now puttied it and waiting for it to dry and i will sand it down and prime it one last time.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #25
mopar=power
AF Newbie

WOW man you are really getting into this but it never really hurts to practice things on a junk body that way you cant screw it up real bad with out consequence keep it up
mopar=power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
tigeraid
Authorized Vendor

Honestly, turn a negative into a positive. I would build this car as a body shop diorama, or as as work-in-progress, or as a beater racecar. There's plenty to do if you don't think you can fix the body.

tigeraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #27
striving
AF Regular

I would really check out Revells site and order another body. I recently used their part replacement feature on their site. It went perfect. I got about 4 parts and all the cost was just over 4$ US. For shipping.

I would try it out.
striving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #28
michael lambert
AF Regular

Well,

I have not given up yet Its a great beater project while i am waiting on paints and glues to dry.

I have just about lost all detail of the model however i have almost gotten the body back to looking somewhat smooth

Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #29
michael lambert
AF Regular

Question for everyone,

Due to the cleaning/glueing/ fillers and such... the plastic has become some what soft.. What can i do to harden up the plastic anything at all?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #30
rod_k2
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to rod_k2

Ermmm...I'm afraid you can't do anything at all...

"Oh noez,it has more stickers than me! And a wing too!
rod_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Muscle Car / Hot Rod