Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
mutsie
AF Newbie

Question ABS light

I have a 99 malibu with an ABS light that comes on when turning corners. This only happens about once a week and the light turns off as soon as you stop then restart the engine. There are no apparent loose connectors or chaffed wires. I changed the front pads and completly flushed the system 12 months ago but the problem persists. I consider electrical problems "fun" but I am not sure where to start with this one. There seems to be a wealth of experience and information on this board and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?????
mutsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
RABarrett
AF Enthusiast

Re: ABS light

This is likely a connection issue on the ABS sensors on the affected wheels. When turning corners, the ABS loses the wheel readings, setting the code and lighting the light. Ray
RABarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
mutsie
AF Newbie

Is this a common problem?? Is there a test for resistance and voltage on these sensors???
mutsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: Re: ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutsie
Is this a common problem?? Is there a test for resistance and voltage on these sensors???
Most likely the problem is going to be in the front....When the ABS light comes on, it stores a code that will help with diagnostics....especially what corner the problem is happening in....
The resistance reading of a WSS on your vehicle should be 1040-1160 ohms.
and when turning the hub assembly by hand, you should get about 100 mv A/C voltage.
From experiance, I find a lot of intermittant ABS concerns are caused by the jumper harness from the sensor to the main body harness.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:17 AM   #5
DarkChobit
AF Newbie

i just thought of one more thing u might want to check. i've seen someone have a similar problem before. check the tire sizes to make sure all tires are the correct size. if one tire is different than the other three, the computer has a problem keeping track of the revolutions of the tires. (note: when changing tires sizes, you must have the car's computer recalibrated to the new size or else you will get bad readings from things like the odometer and such.)
DarkChobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
99ssconv
AF Enthusiast

probably have a wire broken inside the insulation on the jumper harness at the lower control arm, disconnect connector and measure resistance across connector, tug on the wires and watch meter for open, if you knew the code you would know which side to test.
99ssconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
timd
AF Regular

You mentioned a different sized tire may cause an ABS light. What about a tire low on air???????
timd is offline   Reply With Quote