Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
03cavyTT
AF Enthusiast

Question how does a blow off valve work and what does it do??

What does a blow off valve work and wat does it do?
03cavyTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
TatII
AF Fanatic

other turbo guys, allow me to do the honors.

the blow off valve or a compressor bypass valve is basically a pressure relieve valve. the turbo is a free wheeling device. when your boosting and you all of hte sudden close the throttle plate. the extra built up boost has no where else to go. the built up boost causes turbulance at the turbo compressor. this will cause a fluttering sound coming from the turbo called "compressor surge" when a turbo compressor surges, its not go for the turbo casue the turbo can spin up to 200,000 rpm. and all of the sudden you have backed up boost goin back tryin to stop the compressor wheel. so what you do is put a pressure relieve valve inbetween the turbo and the throttle body.

the blow off valve itself is basically a piston or a poppet valve. the piston type is a piston with a cup on the either end with a spring. the spring i used to keep the valve closed. on the top end of the valve there is a hole in it where you hook a vacuum line up to it. what the vacuum does is that it helps assist the opening of hte blow off valve cusae hte vacuum is pulling on the piston. but once you hit boost, the engine vacuum turns into engine boost, and the boost assist in keeping the piston sealed. ( lets say your boosting 10 psi, your blow off valve will have 10psi pressing down on the piston along with a stiff spring to keep it sealed )

the other style of valves is called a poppet valve. which are the greddy type S. and Apex i duel chamber. with those you basically replace the piston with a intake or exhuast valve looking thing, hooked up to a rubber diagraphm. and the way it works is identical to the piston.

the best type in my opinion is a compressor bypass valve. if your car runs on a MAF ( mass air flow meter ) when you vent off the boost. the MAF reads lets say 1000cfm ( cubic feet per minute ) of air go to into the engine, but you just vented it out like 800 cfm. the engine will run rich becuase the that 800 cfm never made it to the engine and the MAF already told the ECU to inject fuel to burn 1000cfm. this will cause poor idleing problems, and stalling problems at high boost. so what the compressoy bypass valve does is that it routes the vented boost back into the intake tract between the MAF and the turbo.

so overall, the BOV and CPV are there to improve the reliablilty of a the turbo, and to prevent turbo lag. plus it sounds really cool.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: how does a blow off valve work and what does it do??

wrong forum but i'll answer quikly....

its to relieve the pressure caused by the turbo against a closed throtle body...like when you shift for example

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
TatII
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: how does a blow off valve work and what does it do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino

its to relieve the pressure caused by the turbo against a closed throtle body...like when you shift for example
thats all yoru goin put down? lolz i guess i had too much free time on my hands.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 12-16-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino

Proper answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatII
other turbo guys, allow me to do the honors.

the blow off valve or a compressor bypass valve is basically a pressure relieve valve. the turbo is a free wheeling device. when your boosting and you all of hte sudden close the throttle plate. the extra built up boost has no where else to go. the built up boost causes turbulance at the turbo compressor. this will cause a fluttering sound coming from the turbo called "compressor surge" when a turbo compressor surges, its not go for the turbo casue the turbo can spin up to 200,000 rpm. and all of the sudden you have backed up boost goin back tryin to stop the compressor wheel. so what you do is put a pressure relieve valve inbetween the turbo and the throttle body.

the blow off valve itself is basically a piston or a poppet valve. the piston type is a piston with a cup on the either end with a spring. the spring i used to keep the valve closed. on the top end of the valve there is a hole in it where you hook a vacuum line up to it. what the vacuum does is that it helps assist the opening of hte blow off valve cusae hte vacuum is pulling on the piston. but once you hit boost, the engine vacuum turns into engine boost, and the boost assist in keeping the piston sealed. ( lets say your boosting 10 psi, your blow off valve will have 10psi pressing down on the piston along with a stiff spring to keep it sealed )

the other style of valves is called a poppet valve. which are the greddy type S. and Apex i duel chamber. with those you basically replace the piston with a intake or exhuast valve looking thing, hooked up to a rubber diagraphm. and the way it works is identical to the piston.

the best type in my opinion is a compressor bypass valve. if your car runs on a MAF ( mass air flow meter ) when you vent off the boost. the MAF reads lets say 1000cfm ( cubic feet per minute ) of air go to into the engine, but you just vented it out like 800 cfm. the engine will run rich becuase the that 800 cfm never made it to the engine and the MAF already told the ECU to inject fuel to burn 1000cfm. this will cause poor idleing problems, and stalling problems at high boost. so what the compressoy bypass valve does is that it routes the vented boost back into the intake tract between the MAF and the turbo.

so overall, the BOV and CPV are there to improve the reliablilty of a the turbo, and to prevent turbo lag. plus it sounds really cool.

Lazy answer

Quote:

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:13 PM   #6
03cavyTT
AF Enthusiast

OK thanks guys
Old 12-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
TatII
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: how does a blow off valve work and what does it do??

Quote:
Proper answer

Lazy answer

much better. lolz yes i'm bored and have too much free time. this should be in the FAQ yeah~!

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 12-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #8
03cavyTT
AF Enthusiast

does a blow off valve get rid of turbo lag and what is turbo lag
Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
Steel
AF Fanatic

mm.. you have much to learn young padawan. Turbo systems can get quite complicated... you should go to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm and read up on it. And it has pictures too!
Old 12-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Man... this whole time.. I thought BOV's were just to make cool sounds... like in F&F.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #11
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatninja19
Man... this whole time.. I thought BOV's were just to make cool sounds... like in F&F.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #12
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cavyTT
does a blow off valve get rid of turbo lag and what is turbo lag
No, it does not. A blow off valve is meant only to relive pressure on the compressor wheel when the throttle plate closes by venting the excess boost into the atmosphere. A diverter valve will reroute that air back into the intake manifold once the throttle plate opens again, so a diverter valve can improve response but will not completely eliminate turbo lag.

Turbos have two impellers. One is an exhaust impeller and one is a compressor impeller. The turbo uses exhaust gases to spin, which in turn spins the compressor, which is connected to it by a shaft. The turbo lag is produced by the fact that it takes a small amount of time for the exhaust to spool up the turbo and compress the air when you accelerate. A turbo will only boost under load.

This should be in forced induction; I will move it there.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote