-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Buying Q&A
Register FAQ Community
Car Buying Q&A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
sk8nsnow4life13 sk8nsnow4life13 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Project Car

Hey guys im looking for a project car cause I am mechanically inclined and love cars. Im 14 so I can only do so much. I was thinking VW Karmann Ghia...

I want a muscle car or something like a european sports car. Caurborated also and preferably pre 1972 or whenever the clean air act was so i dont have to have a catylic converter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
wrenchboss26's Avatar
wrenchboss26 wrenchboss26 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Project Car

Are you looking for the actual car, or just suggestions? As far as suggestions go, I think the Opel GT, if you can find one, may be a fun project. What is your concern with catalytic converters? Modern cats are not the power hogs they have a reputation for being. There is a lot of misinformation out there, exhaust systems do require a certain amount of backpressure to properly scavenge the cylinder for exhaust gasses, so a properly tuned system with a cat, flows better than an oversized system without one, ie 3inch straight pipes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
sk8nsnow4life13 sk8nsnow4life13 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchboss26 View Post
Are you looking for the actual car, or just suggestions? As far as suggestions go, I think the Opel GT, if you can find one, may be a fun project. What is your concern with catalytic converters? Modern cats are not the power hogs they have a reputation for being. There is a lot of misinformation out there, exhaust systems do require a certain amount of backpressure to properly scavenge the cylinder for exhaust gasses, so a properly tuned system with a cat, flows better than an oversized system without one, ie 3inch straight pipes.
I don't have anything against catalyic converters because we all breath this air but I had always thought they deprived the engine of the power because of backup. I am just asking for suggestions btw. I do like the Opel GT but it is pretty hard to find them. I really like the Karmann Ghia but they are pretty slow (maybe I could put an old 911 engine in one) . I don't want a new car because they are way to complex with all of the electronics and their fuel injection. I also like the 356 porsche's (preferably coupes) and old 911's but they seem pricey. Any more suggestions? (keep in mind i also like muscle cars)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
wrenchboss26's Avatar
wrenchboss26 wrenchboss26 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Project Car

I'm partial to the Olds Cutlass, since thats what I have. The problem with muscle cars is the price for even a resto project. For more affordable fun you can check out early 80's Cutlass/Regal/Monte/Grand Prix. They have cats, but they also still use carbs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 AM
'97ventureowner's Avatar
'97ventureowner '97ventureowner is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,311
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchboss26 View Post
I'm partial to the Olds Cutlass, since thats what I have. The problem with muscle cars is the price for even a resto project. For more affordable fun you can check out early 80's Cutlass/Regal/Monte/Grand Prix. They have cats, but they also still use carbs.
I'm partial to the GM G body cars of the '70s and '80s having owned a bunch of them over the last 25 years.these make good starter/project cars especially for those starting out. Muscle cars are generally more expensive and harder to find. Parts for these G Body cars, (including the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and Malibu, Buick Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix, and Olds Cutlass) are more plentiful and less expensive.Even though some of the '80s models have more electronics in them, you can swap out a good small block V8 and make it high performance to suit your liking.( The '80s versions of these cars are lighter starting in 1978 when they were downsized.) The supply of these cars should be plentiful and it should be fairly easy to pick one up as a project car for a good price.
__________________
Thought for the Day… Alcohol does not make you fat - It makes you lean... against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.



If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Buying Q&A


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts