|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
'98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
I have a '98 voyager. It's always been reliable but it's been in the shop for 4 weeks in a row with different problems. This time the temperature gauge is stuck on H and it doesn't move. The guys at the shop told me it might be the head gasket.
What steps can I take to do some MAJOR preventative maintenance? I plan on upgrading the shocks to monroe reflex or kyb shocks. Should I also change the springs or struts? I am getting some sound deadening material to cover the inside of the car to cut down on the rattles. I am changing the brakes as well, any suggestions? Aside from a regular tune up should I do anything else to the engine? How many more miles can I expect out of this car with regular care? |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
Besides the temp gauge what kind of problems are they fixing? If the van never really overheated, your gauge issue could be as simple as a $20 ECT sensor. They may have to anyway but, have them change the antfreeze.
Check into Monroe Quick Struts. It's a strut and spring plus upper mount and bushings all in one package that you install as a package. No need for a spring compressor. I'm guessing you have either the 3.3 or 3.8 ltr engine. Not much to maintain there. Just change the oil and filter. Change the spark plugs using platinum plugs every 100k miles. It uses a timing chain designed to last the life of the van. If you have the 3.0 liter engine it has a timing belt you need to change every 80K miles. Change (don't flush) the transmission fluid and filter. Use nothing but ATF4 fluid. I have 206K miles on my 96 and it's running just fine with the original transaxle and engine and pretty much everything else minus the radiator, starter, and the usual replacement items.
__________________
**We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. It will help hundreds. **Follow prescribed safety practices before attempting any procedures. Doubts? Consult a maintenance manual. 07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
Well there is an oil leak somewhere. So far it's little drops. I was told it may be due to a leak in the oilpan. They think they car is overheating and that it's not just the gauge. They also said it was starting to smoke while they were running the engine and that it's boiling it's liquid, I am assuming they meant water. The previous problems I had with it was an electrical drain, if I left it out on the street for a few days the battery would die. That's now been fixed. I've also changed the alternator since then. Afterwards the interior and exterior lights would not come on at all, that was also due to the electrical problem, but now that has been fixed. It's weird that one problem after another has arisen, when for many years now no huge issues were ever present.
I read somewhere that the sensatrac was really old technology used and has since been replaced with an updated system, can you confirm? These shocks seem to be really expensive, are there any cheaper alternatives? |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
can i ask if what makes tyhe difference in tranny fluid, i used atf III not atf 4
i have 1998 plymouth voyager |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
When changing (not flushing) the tranny fluid and replacing it with ATF-4, also replace the tranny filter every 30,000 miles or less... you have to drop the pan to do this. Also consider doing a Slick-50 oil treatment every 15,000 miles or less, and always do it in the Fall prior to the cold season - this reduces wear during cold starts and prolongs the overall life of your engine. I have 272,000+ miles on my 3.8L GC/LE and the motor sounds as good as the day I bought it new (no kidding).
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
slick 50 is crap! it's proven to be just a wallet-lightener by various boards
just maintain it by changing your oil and filter regularly... mileage on the vehicle? timing belt/waterpump change may be due 1st let us know if you did blew the headgasket; why did u keep on driving the vehicle if you saw H on the temp gauge?!? i hope it's just a faulty sensor or broken wire to the sensor that pegged it on the H level... that's a very costly fix if the HG blew as far as the trans fluid goes, i agree to change out the filter/oil at least every 2 years FYI: Quote:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/atf.htm |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
I am afraid it is something more major than the sensor, due to the smoking in the engine. I was on the highway at the time it happened. It took me about 2 hours to get home, driving for 20 seconds then pulling over for 5 minutes and letting the engine cool down. This is normally a 15 minute drive. Sometimes while driving the gauge would go down by itself, but just by a quarter and then climb back up. How much are we talking about to fix the HG?
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
thanks for the atf+3 & atf+4 info, idrained my tranny fluid and replaced the filter but the jerky movement did not go away, it sounds like when in shift it jek not clank sound i was thinking could it be the tranny rubber mount? something is not right? it only happens when you take off then slows down but not when you are driving?
is it safe to drive if its acting like that for the long run? no leaks , no visible damage, its just that lil jolt. hope someone can tell me what else to do. i flushed and drained tranny fluid 2x already using atf+4 , will follow up what will happen next. tnks again |
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
Quote:
|
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
oil? you mean engine oil? will that be related to the tranny issue jerking? because i just changed the oil and im positive its adequate
but ill keep in mind what you suggested. thanks |
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
My issue was an oil leak for the past year, it's minor, a few drops overnight, but that means I have to add motor oil often and sometimes I forget. What used to happen is when I come to a complete stop and hit the accelerator I get a small jerk like something isn't catching. It hasn't happened since I've kept an eye on the fluids.
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
premier, if they found out that it was a blown HG, you may also have warped the cylinder head... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
they'll have to dissassemble to check the mating surface of the head as well as the block... heck, if they're going to do that, throw in the new timing belt/waterpump/ tstat... Quote:
this'll be your major priority as well as new plugs, check o2 sensor etc. brakes are a close second priority, depending on how much pad material you have left shocks/struts & sound deadening will be last... that's only for comfort. GL; it seems your reliable vehicle has now become a money-pit |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
Your right about that! I am hoping that it's something small and that I can spend a few hundred on maintenance and small upgrades here and there. I know the 90k range for these vehicles is nothing, so I am hoping to hold onto it for at least another year.
Up to now they haven't been able to find out what's wrong. We're now into week 5. |
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
Has a compression test been done or a coolant pressure test??
Are you needing to add coolant?? |
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '98 Voyager Preventative Maintenance Suggestions
I don't think a compression test has been done, can you tell me more about that. When you say coolant you mean antifreeze?
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|