-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
jetwhine jetwhine is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1990 Toyota 4runner 4wd system

Hi to all you Toyota Fans,
I have a 1990 toyota 4runner that I just purchased knowing that the 4wd system will not work. With that said I will try to explain what it is not doing. When I engage the 4wd lever I don't get any idication of engagement, and the front wheels will not turn. I went into the mud to verify and got stuck. I guess that was not too smart but I did have a friend with his toyota truck that did work and he pulled me out. So with this info can anyone tell me where to start the trouble shooting? I don't have a manual that helps trouble shoot.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
CL8 CL8 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,732
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: 1990 Toyota 4runner 4wd system

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhine View Post
Hi to all you Toyota Fans,
I have a 1990 toyota 4runner that I just purchased knowing that the 4wd system will not work. With that said I will try to explain what it is not doing. When I engage the 4wd lever I don't get any idication of engagement, and the front wheels will not turn. I went into the mud to verify and got stuck. I guess that was not too smart but I did have a friend with his toyota truck that did work and he pulled me out. So with this info can anyone tell me where to start the trouble shooting? I don't have a manual that helps trouble shoot.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Ebay sell manuals for all kinds of vehicles
I would check into getting one.
__________________
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead,
thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 1990 Toyota 4runner 4wd system

Download a Toyota service manual from here. Check out the transfer case, front differential and front axle sections. Depends on what type of 4WD system you have.
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
fourwd1's Avatar
fourwd1 fourwd1 is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 3
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Re: 1990 Toyota 4runner 4wd system

More than likely you have the ADD system, and one/both of the Vacuum Switching Valves is not operating (bad, or wire or vac line disconnected).
This would account for no front axle engagement and no 4WD indicator light. If you had the normal (non-ADD) system and didn't lock your manual hubs or had bad auto hubs, the 4WD indicator would still light (unless it's burned out (possible but unlikely)).


Do you feel the lower gearing when you put the t-case in LOW range?
__________________
84 4Runner - ARBed 5.29s F&R, 4.7 & 2.28 t-cases, Chevys, AP x-over, BudBuilt x-member, 2" drv trn lift, 36" TSLs, 30 spline Longs

80 something p/u - Buick 231 V6/TH-350 trans, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, dual batts, dual tanks ...

89 4Runner - stock

2000 Isuzu Trooper + 2010 Sonata
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
OzzyO's Avatar
OzzyO OzzyO is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 108
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to OzzyO Send a message via Yahoo to OzzyO
Thumbs up Re: 1990 Toyota 4runner 4wd system

I have a 94 4Runner and the 4 wheel drive system went, turned out it was the acuator in the front end, it engages your front hubs so you can have 4 wheel drive. With your rig being a 1990 it may have a different acuator setup as 4wheel said.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts