Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Possible Amplifier Problem?

Recently I had my trunk open and noticed that I could hear some voices in a really monotone way through my sub. [Hard to explain] I have the low-pass x-over turned on via the amp, but I can still hear the "voices" no matter where it is set.

The question here is, should this be happining? Im wondering if it has been there all the time and I am just noticing it now. Could this be fault of the sub in any way? Im not knowledgeable at all about x-overs. The amp seems to be performing normally otherwise.

I need to know if this is normal or not. My warentee on the amp [Kenwood KAC-929] runs out in about a month, and Id like to take it to the authorized kenwood repair depo here in town, and get this fixed now...I want to use this amp for some 1sub competitions this summer, and dont want it blowing any subs. And no, I dont want to buy an external x-over. Im broke right now and cant afford to buy any more car audio stuff for a bit.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
yes, some male voices are low enough to be reproduced by the sub ... even with the X-over on. Especially if the X-ver is set higg, like 120 Hz. To answer your question directly, this is NOT an amplifier problem - although the X-over in the amp may not be working or hooked up correctly.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
Rich

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulD
yes, some male voices are low enough to be reproduced by the sub ... even with the X-over on. Especially if the X-ver is set higg, like 120 Hz. To answer your question directly, this is NOT an amplifier problem - although the X-over in the amp may not be working or hooked up correctly.
I think I get what you are saying, Paul. Hearing voices through the sub isnt really a good indication of the amp's x-over condition. I still think there is something wrong with it, the variable LPF knob doesnt seem to make any difference to the cut off point at all (Ive fooled with it while playing a frequency step - down test). Ill probably take it in anyways....

I guess im just nit-picking. Im actually really dissapointed with the unit itself. Its pushing a single JBL 12" DVC 4ohm sub. It's ok, but it sounds just as good, maybe even slightly better when hooked to my friends amp which I borrowed and stuck into my car (older MTX PRO 50x2). I know those MTX's were underrated, but it actually sounds a bit better than my bigger amp. Also, I heard practically nil voices when playing similar songs with his amp, so thats what got me thinking to start with.

I got a good deal originally on the amp, and I knew that the 1000w sticker on the front was a joke, but 460 wrms x 1 was exactly what I was looking for. Anyways, im dragging this out pointlessly.

Thanks again , Paul
Old 03-23-2003, 04:57 AM   #4
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
actually, it can be a good indication that the x-over isn't working at all. If you have access to a stand-alone crossover, try diabling the amps x=over and hooking up the outboard one inline. You will only need power for the xover, then hook the RCA going into the amp into it's input and then the subout into the amp. Then you can play with that, and see what's going on. for power, some amps drive real loads (speakers) better than others. Remember that power output has to do with the impedance of the speaker at that frequency .... and the impedance of a sub in the 20-100 Hz can vary WILDLY. The design of the box can help with this.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 07:02 AM   #5
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
possibly the xover octave isn't steep enough for your taste
Old 03-29-2003, 07:39 AM   #6
Rich

UPDATE: Well, it turned out that the LPF wasn't working properly. I took it in and it was fixed in about 2 days. Warentee covered it, so I didnt have to pay a penny.