-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
jcinmeforlife jcinmeforlife is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakes Pulsating

So, my front and rear brakes are perfect. I've even bled the brake lines to get the air out. However, when I'm comin' to a hard stop, I feel the brakes pulsating underneath the pedal. Last year I just replaced my front break pads AND had my rotors turned. The dealer suggested warped rotors. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Brakes Pulsating

Welcome to AF.

It sounds like the rotors have excessive lateral runout (warped). If these were the original GM OE rotors the worse thing you can do is have them turned down versus replacement.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Airjer_'s Avatar
Airjer_ Airjer_ is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Re: Brakes Pulsating

Get yourself a couple of good rotors, have them turned just to make sure they are true before you put them on, Install them, TORQUE THE LUG NUTS, and you should have smooth braking for a long time!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
jcinmeforlife jcinmeforlife is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Brakes Pulsating

So, indeed the rotors were warped. However, because I've been replacing my brakes/rotors every winter for the past three years, I decided that it was abnormal to do that and talked with a guy from Napa Auto parts about it. He suggested that my calipers were bad, especially if I noticed uneven wear on the brake pads, which I have. So, I replaced everything. Brake line, calipers, pads, and top of the line rotors. Cost me about $350 to do it, but I figured I saved a few hundred on labor. I'm finishing that junk up tonight and we'll see how it feels when I finally put my baby back together. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts