-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-10-2008, 02:38 PM
4Wheel's Avatar
4Wheel 4Wheel is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 506
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

HELP! A friend of mine has this truck I just looked at.
The noise is not at an idle but starts at around 2k RPM, and is not as loud when revved in drive with brakes set.
The noise was not there when cold but after only about a minute of warm up, it started. Seems to be top end, driver side, not fuel rail, does not seem to be coming from the rocker covers, and no noise at all in the oil pan.
The noise was loudest with a stethoscope at the exhaust ports.
Any experience with this will be appreciated.
Thanks,
4Wheel
__________________
"I cut the header twice, and it's STILL too short!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine nock

Is it louder front or back? or any particular cylinder?

How is the engine power? Exhaust appearance?
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM
AbbasH AbbasH is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

I think the noise is coming from the driver side of the engine (possibly cylinder #3). The engine does not make noise at idle, it however starts to get noisy once I rev up the engine. It is noisier when I go uphill as I have to push the engine harder. I do not seem to have lost a lot of power since I started hearing the noise.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM
4Wheel's Avatar
4Wheel 4Wheel is offline
AF - Advisor
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 506
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

Hi Brian,
Thanks, I have alerted him that there are questions and he is logging in for the first time I will let him field the questions from here on out.
I will keep watching and help where I can.
Thanks

He did say there was a degradation in MPG I didn't see any exhaust issues.
__________________
"I cut the header twice, and it's STILL too short!"

Last edited by 4Wheel; 10-10-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

Exhaust manifold gasket leak? or crack in the manifold?
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
4Wheel's Avatar
4Wheel 4Wheel is offline
AF - Advisor
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 506
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

Sorry forgot to mention that it is a mechanical knock.
Just to hear it, sounds like a wrist pin or conrod bearing.
__________________
"I cut the header twice, and it's STILL too short!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
AbbasH AbbasH is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

I had another mechanic check my car. I was told that there is carbon build up in the engine. The mechanic perfomed an emission system cleaning service which reduced the noise a lot. I was told to drive my SUV more to avoid this problem in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 1997 V6 3.4 with engine knock

Try running some GM Top Engine Cleaner or Seafoam through your intake.

(somewhere away from civilization since it will smoke a bit)
__________________
Forum Guidelines:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts