-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
FullyAvenged's Avatar
FullyAvenged FullyAvenged is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Premium Unleaded Only?

Just recently got the 99 GTP. I know it calls for the Premium Fuel, Can I possibly do Premium every other time I fill up or should it be everytime I fill up.
__________________
Yup.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
grandprixgtx00's Avatar
grandprixgtx00 grandprixgtx00 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 989
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grandprixgtx00
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

well...technically, you should never run lower than 91 octane in your GTP, but i know people that put mid-grade in their GTP if they know they're not going to be running any boost I.E just cruising down the highway...not passing.

personally i only run Premium, that way i know I'm not running the rist of KR
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandprixgtx00
personally i only run Premium, that way i know I'm not running the rist of KR


If saving a few cents per gallon is that important by using for example mid-grade which I have done on my Regal GS and what appears to be a reasonable option is to use one range colder spark plugs. However, I'd be cautious about any pedal to the metal or any driving conditions where the engine is under a heavy load. Definitely no regular unleaded.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Stick with the 93 octane. You may save 10 cents per gallon using the lower octane but you may spend $4000 for a new engine if happen to go wot one too many times.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
Stick with the 93 octane.
93 would be nice if you can get it Lynn but the recommendation from GM is 91 octane or better. Most of us can't get 93 octane like found at the Sunoco gas stations back in the Northeast.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 AM
daejuanj daejuanj is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to daejuanj Send a message via AIM to daejuanj Send a message via MSN to daejuanj Send a message via Yahoo to daejuanj
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor
93 would be nice if you can get it Lynn but the recommendation from GM is 91 octane or better. Most of us can't get 93 octane like found at the Sunoco gas stations back in the Northeast.
Where I live at I usually find 93 octane. I believe I I filled up with 92 one time, but I've never seen a gas station with 91.
__________________
- 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (81K miles)
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, U-Bend & Resonator delete

Got3800 Race Day!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daejuanj
but I've never seen a gas station with 91.
91 octane is very common in the Western/Rocky Mountain states. That is why GM specifies at least 91 octane. Maybe seeing is believing. Reason is the higher altitudes so the oil companies can drop a few points on octane. Also, notice the lower octane level on mid-grade and regular unleaded.

BTW - I'm at 4000 feet altitude.


Top Tier Chevron



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
HotZ28's Avatar
HotZ28 HotZ28 is offline
AF Moderator Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,764
Thanks: 87
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Fortunately in my area and most of the South East, we still have the choice between 93, 89 & 87 Octane. I usually try to fill-up when the fuel gage reaches ½ tank. I sometimes alternate between 93 & 89 @ fill-up, which renders the 91 suggested. Never had a KR or misfire even under heavy load & pedal to the metal acceleration! BTW, this is for the Ultra Series II VIN 1 RPO L67, not the Z, only 105 in that one. I forgot to mention, we have several stations near Road Atlanta, that have pumps available with 105 octane for anyone who wants to pay the price!
__________________
Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

I use VP Racing 108 unleaded when I'm at the strip. KR will be minimal or nil if you are stock. Boost mods is a different issue. I run a 3.0 SC pulley on my GTP.

However, the pulley system is modular so I can switch back to the 3.25" or higher if necessary.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
daejuanj daejuanj is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to daejuanj Send a message via AIM to daejuanj Send a message via MSN to daejuanj Send a message via Yahoo to daejuanj
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Of course BNaylor, I believed you. I should have clarified that I was just referring to where live in Chicago. I have yet to see 91 octane, it's usually 93.

BTW, Our gasoline is usually.
87 - 89 - 93
__________________
- 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (81K miles)
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, U-Bend & Resonator delete

Got3800 Race Day!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Sunoco has tried to push that 86 octane here in Michigan, but cars run like dog-doody on it at our altitude so they stopped selling it here.
__________________


Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
FullyAvenged's Avatar
FullyAvenged FullyAvenged is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Yup I live in MI also and what I normally see is 87-89-93. I have been putting nothing but 93 in it but I was just wondering if it really made a differance.
__________________
Yup.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAvenged
I have been putting nothing but 93 in it but I was just wondering if it really made a differance.
You'll never really know for sure until you run a KR check with a scan tool capable of reading out accurate KR at all driving conditions since KR will vary at times even if you are stock. But here is some anecdotal info that is very recent and I could pull up a bunch of old posts over the years that are worse going as far as blown engines. This guy is running regular unleaded brand unknown.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=898029



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 AM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

93 is quite common in PA with some stations selling 92 octane as their top fuel grade. I have seen some 94 octane at certain Sunoco stations but it isn't common. 91 is sufficient but the owners manual on my 97 specifically stated premium fuel of at least 93 octane. Obviously GM didn't intend for the car to last long enough to see another octane reduction. Oh well, one day we may have a hard time finding 87 Octane if things don't change!

By the way Bob how much is the 108 racing gas per gallon?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Premium Unleaded Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
91 is sufficient but the owners manual on my 97 specifically stated premium fuel of at least 93 octane. Obviously GM didn't intend for the car to last long enough to see another octane reduction. Oh well, one day we may have a hard time finding 87 Octane if things don't change!
What page was that on Lynn? That data was quickly revised by GM and superceded 10 years ago. On subsequent owner's manuals it clearly states 91 octane or higher. For example the '99 owner's manual in which the OP has 91 octane is listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
By the way Bob how much is the 108 racing gas per gallon?
It varies depending on which specific formula you decide to get based on your application. StreetBlaze, C10, Motorsport XXX, etc. It was $5.50 per gallon with a minimum bucket size of 5 gallons. And the octane specified is more technical spec wise. There is Motor Octane, R+M/2 Octane and Research Octane. For example on Motorsport 109 unleaded:

• Motor Octane: 101
• R+M/2: 105
• Research Octane: 109



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts