-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM
kymagred kymagred is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 68
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Gasket

I have a 2001 with this gasket leaking. I have read online that Canada has a class action lawsuit against GM. If the coolant is eating up the gasket material, shouldn't GM be working with its customers to get this fixed? I called GM today and was told to take the car to the dealer to verify that it was the intake leaking. It is, on both corners. Dealer wants 680.00 to fix with no help from GM, well not right now anyway. I'm calling GM Monday to report what the dealer found.

Has anyone here been able to get GM to fix this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-23-2008, 04:42 PM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

To put this into perspective GM addressed the issue of the LIM gaskets on the 3100 and and 3400 engines a few years back so it is old news. It consisted of revised gaskets and a new LIM bolt torquing procedure. We got ours replaced free while it was still under the 36K mile warranty, however, at that time we had no coolant loss issues and the GM dealer (Cadillac/Olds) just had an excellent service department and took action on their own after notifying us.

As far as the Dex-cool coolant eating up the gaskets I don't believe that. Just poor gasket material and/or composition. We're still using the Dex-cool but it was replaced since the maintenance interval is 5 years or 150K miles, whichever comes first. The TSB is covered at the link below.

Click here



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2008, 02:51 PM
frobotz frobotz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

This is rich, its an older car, You are going to play heck getting GM to fix it under a recall. Just spend the $85 like I did. pull it apart and put the newer updated gasket in it. its a real simple job. So easy, a cavemen could do it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 AM
kymagred kymagred is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 68
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Thanks for the replys. I have found this web site. www.modexcool.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
frobotz frobotz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymagred
Thanks for the replys. I have found this web site. www.modexcool.com
I think you get a certificate for $1500 off your next GM car. Its not worth it to me. I spent $80 and did it myslef. I know it is repaired correctly now. And I flushed all the dexcool out and went green. After all Dexcool is high in SALT content. Whos idea was it to put salt in an aluminum motor anyhow (Duh) Anyhow most of these cars are out of the miles or date. My P.O. S. only has 46 K miles and its a 2001. I just replaced ths gasket myself so I think the reapir is limited to 7 years from date of purchase new. So i am real close to being out of limits anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
xeroinfinity's Avatar
xeroinfinity xeroinfinity is offline
out saving the world
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,707
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymagred
Thanks for the replys. I have found this web site. www.modexcool.com
This is kinda old news too. I posted this link a few weeks ago. Thier is a class action law suite getting ready to take place, though you have to call an lawyer to get on the claim list. Then you need all receipts from the repair(s).

Canada already had thier class action settled I think last fall.

Probly wont get much back either $400-600 is my guess.
Even though most stealerships charge and arm and a leg(up to $1200) to do this job.

Good Luck!

__________________
1999 Grand Am SS 3.4 OHV
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
frobotz frobotz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymagred
Thanks for the replys. I have found this web site. www.modexcool.com
Umm you beter find out what the purchase date of your car was, The suit applies onlty to cars that are less than 7 years old and less than 150K miles. You have a 2001, so you are in the same boat as me. Your probally already out of date.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

The class action suit is old news to include the tentative settlement which has not been finalized. One suit is in California and the other Missouri. The California proposed settlement offers from $5 to around $800 for expenses incurred and it has to be documented. In the case of the OP he has not repaired his vehicle nor has any proof of monetary damages yet so technically does not qualify for either class action suit but time is running out and you have to read the fine print to see if your vehicle qualifies.

What I find odd is the Dex-cool claims are only applicable to the GM 3100/3400, 3800 and 4.3L engines. Last time I checked millions of GM cars are on the road without any issues with Dex-cool or the intake manifold gasket problems. If it was really the Dex-cool why aren't other GM platforms or engines covered since they all used Dex-cool at least into the 2005 model year. I'm still not convinced.

On any of my GM cars owned since 1996 I have never had any issues with Dex-cool and continue to use it today. Important part is to apply proper maintenance by replacing it well before the 5 year/150K miles, whichever comes first interval and make sure you have no other cooling system issues like air in system after a thermostat replacement, etc. Also, many mixed other brand anti-freezes with Dex-cool and it turns to sludge which is understandable.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
frobotz frobotz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

There are actually several other suits about dexcool. My sister bought a trailblazer. Less than 30K miles the motor overheated. We went to get here, I looked in her antifreeze and it was orange sludge. Almost paste. We had to fight GM for over a year to get it fixed under warranty. When the warranty ran out, i drained all the dexcool and went back to the green antifreeze. No other issues with it since. Oddly though When I did flush out the dexcool it too was thicker than I thought it should have been.

You might want to research Dexcool. You will be very surprised to find out what the main ingrediences are. it is very high in salt content. Salt and aluminum dont get along too well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
'97ventureowner's Avatar
'97ventureowner '97ventureowner is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,311
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobotz
You might want to research Dexcool. You will be very surprised to find out what the main ingrediences are. it is very high in salt content. Salt and aluminum dont get along too well.
It is my understanding through years of research into Dex Cool that the silicate corrosion inhibitor used in the Dex Cool is there to protect aluminum components. Therefore any salts that may be in the coolant should have no effect on the aluminum, because the Dex Cool "coats" the internal parts of the cooling system and the salt can't penetrate the coating.
Like BNaylor above , I've had many GM vehicles that have contained Dex Cool and only had issues with one, being a LIM gasket on a 3400 engine. It is my belief that the gasket, not the coolant was at fault. I continue to use Dex Cool and keep it properly maintained and have had no further issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobotz
Umm you beter find out what the purchase date of your car was, The suit applies onlty to cars that are less than 7 years old and less than 150K miles. You have a 2001, so you are in the same boat as me. Your probally already out of date.
Not true. There are 3 groups of vehicles as part of this settlement.
Group 1 includes 1995 to 2003 3.1 and 3.4 engine vehicles made up until 4/10/03 with the nylon/silicone LIMG.
Group 2 includes 1995 to 2004 3.8 V6s (RPO L36 engines).
Group 3 includes 1995 to 2000 4.3 V6 vehicles.
The settlement states that the repairs must have been performed within 7 years or 150,000 miles (whichever is earlier) of the original delivery date of the vehicle. You also do not need to be the original owner of the vehicle to participate in the settlement.
__________________
Thought for the Day… Alcohol does not make you fat - It makes you lean... against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.



If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Dex-cool is based on OAT - Organic Acid Technology and is not supposed to damage aluminum engine components and aluminum radiators contrary to the unsubstantiated claims being made or lack of proper research. Same goes for the Hydrid OATs used by other car manufacturers including the Japanese makes.

IMO the key to using Dex-cool is proper maintenance. Change it out before the 5 years or 150K miles, whichever comes first. Most of us will fall into the 5 year category. Make sure there are no cooling system problems like a bad radiator cap, leaks or intake manifold gasket issues. Any air introduced into the system will cause the sludging effect many complain about. Like after a thermostat replacement and not properly bleeding air out. Air and Dex-cool definitely do not mix or get along. Also, one of the primary reasons for the sludge is mixing other coolants to include the Prestone Extended Life (green/yellow bottle) with Dex-cool. Prestone claimed the EL not the Dex-cool only variant they make could be mixed with other coolants but this has turned out to be false.

As a side note even the new extended life coolants on the market are based on OAT so that argument really doesn't hold water.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 PM
frobotz frobotz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Well then explain how a tailblazer that was 2 years old and only had 30K on the motor created sludge in the coolant. . Also I noticed pitting on my intake when I removed it , so you anti corrosion doesnt hold water either.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-29-2008, 06:06 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobotz
Well then explain how a tailblazer that was 2 years old and only had 30K on the motor created sludge in the coolant. . Also I noticed pitting on my intake when I removed it , so you anti corrosion doesnt hold water either.
If your claim was true explain to me why I don't have any similar corrosion on any of my GM cars and still running the Dex-cool. One is over 10 years old. DIY work at 30K miles? What happened to the bumper to bumper warranty? Any pics? Sorry but it sounds like you are blowing smoke.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2008, 08:59 AM
frobotz frobotz is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor
If your claim was true explain to me why I don't have any similar corrosion on any of my GM cars and still running the Dex-cool. One is over 10 years old. DIY work at 30K miles? What happened to the bumper to bumper warranty? Any pics? Sorry but it sounds like you are blowing smoke.
Noew your just misquoting stuff. I never said i did the work myself on the trailblazer, but I did go get here when it broke down. i popped the hood and found dexcool sludge in the bottle. We had it towed to GM when it sat for almost 4 months arguing with them about it. We finally paid for the work them went after GM and got reinbursed.

As for your lack of corrosion, i dont know, but i am not small minded enought to believe everything I read, But I believe what I can se and prove. I just had my car apaort remember?? i saw it myself and thats enough for me.,Look , you can do what you want, I tore the dexcool only sticker of my POS alero and now I am running regular green antifreeze in it. I have piece of mind. Also I wanted to ask where 9what state your located in) most of these dexcool sludge failures seem to be in the south where it gets hotter in the summer,, i think the H2O in dexcool evaporated out and leaves the sludge, but thats just speculation on my part. Cant prove that, but I did see the corrosion, and I did see and feel the failed dexcool sludge.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobotz
Noew your just misquoting stuff. I never said i did the work myself on the trailblazer, but I did go get here when it broke down. i popped the hood and found dexcool sludge in the bottle. We had it towed to GM when it sat for almost 4 months arguing with them about it. We finally paid for the work them went after GM and got reinbursed.

As for your lack of corrosion, i dont know, but i am not small minded enought to believe everything I read, But I believe what I can se and prove. I just had my car apaort remember?? i saw it myself and thats enough for me.,Look , you can do what you want, I tore the dexcool only sticker of my POS alero and now I am running regular green antifreeze in it. I have piece of mind. Also I wanted to ask where 9what state your located in) most of these dexcool sludge failures seem to be in the south where it gets hotter in the summer,, i think the H2O in dexcool evaporated out and leaves the sludge, but thats just speculation on my part. Cant prove that, but I did see the corrosion, and I did see and feel the failed dexcool sludge.
By your own admission or care to correct or clarify? See quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobotz
Well then explain how a tailblazer that was 2 years old and only had 30K on the motor created sludge in the coolant. . Also I noticed pitting on my intake when I removed it , so you anti corrosion doesnt hold water either.

Quite obvious I'm in Texas, West Texas that is and it gets hot in the summer. Look if you are going to go negative or rant about your situation then support your discussion or debate with believeable and supportable facts not speculation, misquotes, hyperbole or what you read off some internet site. My question to you is what chemical contained in Dex-cool is salt based? Technically, Dex-cool it is just OAT based ethylene glycol without silicates.

Also, don't confuse corrosion with electrolysis which can be found in any cooling system even running regular ethylene glycol based coolants. Did you perform a conductivity or acidity test? Sludging seen in coolant reservoir tanks is normal due to exposure to air but doesn't mean the complete cooling system is sludged up. Another common cause for sludge is mixing other coolants on the market with Dex-cool. Maybe you or someone else added regular coolant when you were running Dex-cool and failed to heed the Dex-cool warnings. This is common when going to places like Lube n Go, etc. and they top off coolant that is low and fail to use the orange Dex-cool. For example Prestone's claim that their green 5/150K extended life coolant can be mixed with any coolant to include Dex-cool or Hybrid OAT based coolants is false. When mixed you will get sludge.

Just to clear the air Dex-cool is silicate and phosphate free according to GM.





__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts