-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
F-Body Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okokok... Compression Question

Anyone know what PSI relates to what compression ratio?

I was told my 454 was running 11:1 compression when I bought it, but after looking up the pistons, etc I'm guessing it's probably closer to 10:1 maybe even 9.5:1.

All I know is that when I ran the compression test intially, the good cylinders (heh) all read 180 psi. Not sure if that is 11:1 or what.

ALSO - From what I understand (which may not be much) the higher the compression the more susceptible the engine is to detonation, etc... is that right?
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Hang on... Pulled this:

Pull the sparkplug from an engine (like a chainsaw). Put your finger over the sparkplug hole, and pull the starter rope. Can you feel the compression? If you can get a compression tester, test the pressure in the cylinder. Some compression gauges give pressure but don’t indicate the ratio. If a cylinder has 105.8 psi, what is the compression ratio?

Atmospheric pressure is approximately 14.7 psi. Round it off to 15 psi. 105.8 divided by 15 is about 7.


From here : http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/publications/VS/TEcompression.html

Is this right? If so 180 psi / 14.7 = 12.24 Compression Ratio - WTF???
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 AM
wrightz28's Avatar
wrightz28 wrightz28 is offline
is bring'n sexy back
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Jim, when you're doing your test do you have all plugs out or just the one your testing? And how many puffs?

Plus that reasoning is on the bunk side, according to that formula my Buick v6 had a 11.57;1 ratio
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Mr. Luos's Avatar
Mr. Luos Mr. Luos is offline
Firebird Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Cam also effects compression. Not the static, but the dynamic.

Do you know the specs on the heads and block?? Deck height, piston cc, chamber cc, etc?
If so, check this out. Just change around what you need to make your set-up fit.
Should give you a rough estimate...even though it is designed for LSx motors.
http://www.c5frc.com/calculators/Com...Calculator.htm
__________________
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Both ways. I also looked at a couple other sites that said pretty much the same thing... the "accepted" compression ratio designation is less than wht the formula produces. Saw 5 other sites that used that same formula.

That ain't right... is it?

Could the CR being that high be what ate the valves? (In addition to them being ground / cut.)
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Morley Morley is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,983
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

When I did a compression check on my original engine I got an average of 160-170 on each cylinder and the engine was 9.5:1. I would guess you are closer to 10:1. At 11:1 on a 454 with carb you'd almost HAVE to be running 110 octane race gas all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Thanks Curtis... It'll take me some time to figure out what all those are but I'll see if I can figure it out and try that calculator.
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
When I did a compression check on my original engine I got an average of 160-170 on each cylinder and the engine was 9.5:1. I would guess you are closer to 10:1. At 11:1 on a 454 with carb you'd almost HAVE to be running 110 octane race gas all the time.
Back to my other question though... could that be why the valves burnt out?

If I was running (and the guy before me) 93-94 octane and the CR is that high, isn't that a problem???

----------

Just did another search (searched "compression ratio PSI") ... and found this http://www.geocities.com/terminalvelocitycoaster/adr/

I don't know... maybe it is right. If so, that means I gotta have this thing dialed in otherwise I'm gonna have some problems, right?
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
1986Z28's Avatar
1986Z28 1986Z28 is offline
Has a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to 1986Z28
Re: okokok... Compression Question

what do you pistons look like flat top, dish, dome, etc...
__________________
Formerly Blownalcoholboy

1986 Z28, 400ci SBC, Twin borg warner billet S467 turbos, Reid case powerglide, Moser 9". Holley EFI, Boost Leash. 950RWHP on pump gas, 1200rwhp on race gas (22 psi)

Best ET 1/4: 8.35 @ 170mph (275 drag radial)
Best ET 1/8: 5.44 @ 132mph (275 drag radial)
Best 60': 1.31 on the back tires (275 drag radial)

AF User Rules/Guidelines

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Mr. Luos's Avatar
Mr. Luos Mr. Luos is offline
Firebird Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
At 11:1 on a 454 with carb you'd almost HAVE to be running 110 octane race gas all the time.
One of the reasons I like fuel injection and aluminum heads.
I run 11:1 no problem on pump gas. 91 octane.
__________________
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Domed.

I think this is the one... http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...CATID=507.html

(Forget off the top of my head - have it at home. Pretty sure they were stamped "3999295")
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Morley Morley is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,983
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsfat
Back to my other question though... could that be why the valves burnt out?

If I was running (and the guy before me) 93-94 octane and the CR is that high, isn't that a problem???

----------

Just did another search (searched "compression ratio PSI") ... and found this http://www.geocities.com/terminalvelocitycoaster/adr/

I don't know... maybe it is right. If so, that means I gotta have this thing dialed in otherwise I'm gonna have some problems, right?
A burned valve by itself would more likely be a valve open part way at all times, valve edges ground too thin.
If the compression were too high for the gas you were running you'd have detonation and holes in the pistons to go along with the burned valves.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Morley Morley is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,983
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
One of the reasons I like fuel injection and aluminum heads.
I run 11:1 no problem on pump gas. 91 octane.
Yep, you can't beat FI for making up for deficencies in octane.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Earlsfat's Avatar
Earlsfat Earlsfat is offline
Cheesesteakoholic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
A burned valve by itself would more likely be a valve open part way at all times, valve edges ground too thin.
If the compression were too high for the gas you were running you'd have detonation and holes in the pistons to go along with the burned valves.

That's what the head guy said, they ground the edges too thin, AND the vales were going up into the sleeve, so he had to ream out the valve hole (whatever the hell its called) and go up a size on the exhaust valves.


EW, EW, EW... (like Arnold Horshack) ... 2 or 3 pistons had some pitting... I'm no engine guy, but it didn't look THAT bad, and the guy helping me said that was a common thing, but if the pitting was on the same cylinders as the burnt valves...???


ANOTHER QUESTION... If I were to use that race gas... I think it's like 105 - 110 octane, do I have to do anything special? Does it affect the fuel mixture (IE make it more lean or rich) or anything that would make using that a bad idea? I have no problem putting 2-3 gallons of that in from time to time - or should I look at using octane boosters?
__________________
Cheesesteak..... It does a body good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"All you want to talk about is money, let's talk about love, and sex... forget love, let's just talk about sex. "
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Morley Morley is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,983
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: okokok... Compression Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsfat
EW, EW, EW... (like Arnold Horshack) ... 2 or 3 pistons had some pitting... I'm no engine guy, but it didn't look THAT bad, and the guy helping me said that was a common thing, but if the pitting was on the same cylinders as the burnt valves...???


ANOTHER QUESTION... If I were to use that race gas... I think it's like 105 - 110 octane, do I have to do anything special? Does it affect the fuel mixture (IE make it more lean or rich) or anything that would make using that a bad idea? I have no problem putting 2-3 gallons of that in from time to time - or should I look at using octane boosters?
Depends on how deep the "pitting" is. But I was talking about actual holes through the piston tops.
Valves going up into the sleeves? You mean up into the guide? That would mean you sunk the valves, another sign of detonation. I would definately get the engine checked to see what compression ratio you are running. If it is over 10:1 you'd need to run race gas all the time to keep from ruining the engine.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts