|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| F-Body Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible. |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
88 Trans Am won't start
I have an 88 Trans Am, 5.0L TBI automatic tranny. It ran great when I bought it even though the owner said it sat for 2 years, then on the way home it started stalling out on the highway. After letting it sit for 20 min it started back up and ran for about 30 min and stalled out again. It has not started since. Parts changed; fuel filter, fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, battery, and alternator. I cleaned up the throttle body. The injectors and fuel pump tested good. Could the ecm be bad? Thank you in advance!
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Have the ignition module tested.
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Also, put in 2 bottles of STP gas treatment and fill the tank with good gas.
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
thats a good start i was gonna say something about the gas b ut i see that was covered
__________________
![]() Quote:
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Thanks for the replys. It does have plenty of gas in it, I filled it when I got it because I was thinking the gas meter was wrong. As for checking the ignition module......It tries to turn over and if you spray some carb cleaner in the engine it will run for a sec(that slipped my mind earlier). Is it common for both injecters to go bad at the same time? I know fuel is getting to the throttle body.
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
If there was water in the tank when you added fuel it could still be causing your problem. Fuel injection absolutely will not run on gas with water in it (ask me how I know).
If neither injector is firing, check the injector fuses on the fuse block. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Moved to Problem Diagnosis.. Please use the sub-forums. Thanks!
__________________
- Jason 1995 Pontiac Firebird ![]() ![]() User Guidelines | VB Codes Explained | AF Merchandise "Each of us, is in the scheme of things, insignificant. But millions of insignificant people, doing a tiny bit, can add up to be a very significant force." |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Fuses are good, that was the first thing I checked. I also used a noid light(think that is the name) on the power harness to the injectors and it was lighting. That's why I was thinking ecm. This is a pain!
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
I'd pull the filter again, might be cruded up from tank debris.
|
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
I am confident that the filter is still good because there is plenty of fuel getting to the throttle body.
|
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Bump!
|
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
Quote:
|
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
still no good? lol, mm .. if crud did get to the injectors then yes, the injectors may be plugged or broken or something.. and it would mess up all the injectors, not just one..?
__________________
Car: ![]() 1997 M6 SS Camaro [ white ] 285's in the back all else = STOCK.
|
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 88 Trans Am won't start
If it starts on ether, you have spark so that's elimated.
Have you checked for codes? You said with the noid light there is signal, is it flickering? Is ANY gas coming out? |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|