|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Rear-ends suck.
So, the next step in my RS project is the 3.73 and posi install. I get everything apart and removed up to the pinion gear and yoke. The yoke is supposed to just slide off, but nope, not for me. I tried everything, pulled it, pryed it. My dad ended up having to fab up a special puller that bolted into the yoke where the brackets that hold the driveshaft on. That ended up working like a charm, but the pinion gear was still stuck. I tried a ball peen hammer, nothing. I tried a brass hammer, nothing. Next was a 25lb sledge hammer, again nothing. It wouldn't budge, it would still turn freely on the bearings. So yesterday I chalked it up and just removed the rear-end completely. It wasn't as tedious as I thought it would be. The e-brake cables were probably the most irritating. We rolled it out on a cradle my dad made that sat on the floor jack. after turning it up so the pinion tail pointed up, and a few good smacks with the hammer, the pinion came right out with ease. So now saturday the re-assembly can begin. I'm debating on whether or not I'm going to coat the housing in por-15. I also ended up fracturing a brake line trying to disconnect it, so now i have the joy of replacing all of those too. That about wraps it up, here's some photos of the ordeal.
![]() ![]()
__________________
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
That sucks, but atleast you got it out. Are you going to put rear disc on it? I can't wait till its all done. Its going to be a hot lil car...
__________________
2008 G8 GT ~ 2004 Silverado LT ~ 1998 z-28
Tuned By TJ Wong - Wong's Performance Engineering ![]() |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
Nah, I'm gonna leave the drum setup, It works good enuff for me.
__________________
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
So how long till you think she will be all done? oh and how is that stereo working??? lol
__________________
2008 G8 GT ~ 2004 Silverado LT ~ 1998 z-28
Tuned By TJ Wong - Wong's Performance Engineering ![]() |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
with me working on it, there's no telling how long it'll take. and the stereo works great.
__________________
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
Rust proof the rear. I swear, its one of the things I did that I really like over all the other cars I see. I see alot of times under shots of cars and there rear end assembly is rust brown and looks like crap but mine is still nice glossy black after over a year and all that road gook just wipes right off.
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart. Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear) Last edited by FormulaLT1; 10-02-2006 at 09:05 AM. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
![]() Some POR-15 and a chrome diff cover really cleans things up |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
Quote:
__________________
Formerly Blownalcoholboy 1986 Z28, 400ci SBC, Twin borg warner billet S467 turbos, Reid case powerglide, Moser 9". Holley EFI, Boost Leash. 950RWHP on pump gas, 1200rwhp on race gas (22 psi) Best ET 1/4: 8.35 @ 170mph (275 drag radial) Best ET 1/8: 5.44 @ 132mph (275 drag radial) Best 60': 1.31 on the back tires (275 drag radial) AF User Rules/Guidelines http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
btw geno looking good, id like to upgrade my rearend internals, but will omstlikely end up just buying a strange 12-bolt
__________________
Formerly Blownalcoholboy 1986 Z28, 400ci SBC, Twin borg warner billet S467 turbos, Reid case powerglide, Moser 9". Holley EFI, Boost Leash. 950RWHP on pump gas, 1200rwhp on race gas (22 psi) Best ET 1/4: 8.35 @ 170mph (275 drag radial) Best ET 1/8: 5.44 @ 132mph (275 drag radial) Best 60': 1.31 on the back tires (275 drag radial) AF User Rules/Guidelines http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
i have a summit cast aluminum stud girdle for it already. thanx for the suggestions tho.
__________________
|
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
you wont be disapointed with that cover
__________________
Formerly Blownalcoholboy 1986 Z28, 400ci SBC, Twin borg warner billet S467 turbos, Reid case powerglide, Moser 9". Holley EFI, Boost Leash. 950RWHP on pump gas, 1200rwhp on race gas (22 psi) Best ET 1/4: 8.35 @ 170mph (275 drag radial) Best ET 1/8: 5.44 @ 132mph (275 drag radial) Best 60': 1.31 on the back tires (275 drag radial) AF User Rules/Guidelines http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
i see you have little rust under there also. what i did was knocked it all out and sanded it and primered it and rubbrized undercoated it with like 3 can and it is SO much cleaner and quiter under there.
__________________
95 Z71 Silverado 4x4 ext. cab Mods- Flowmaster Exhaust,Intake |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
paint is lighter than rubberized undercoating... por15 the bitch
johns an expert at wiping road gook off his rear
__________________
97 Camaro - 2.077 60', 14.745 @ 92.20 - still down, one year later. 194k miles-160* thermo-V8 shocks/springs (V6 rear springs)-3" Magnaflow !cat (3" dynomax bullet) back-SLP CAI-stock boxed LCAs-poly tranny mount and torque arm bushing-custom HPTuners tuning-4.10s/eaton/TA girdle-3.5" alum DS-spohn LCA brackets-prostar skinnies 179.75 RWHP, 204.52 RWTQ ON ITS WAY: MORE R.I.P. Andy 87 Benz 190e - DD 01 EX250 - still gotta get my license for this thing |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
Quote:
?
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart. Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear) |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Rear-ends suck.
Im surprised you didnt get the 3.73's already.....
__________________
91 RS Camaro V8 305 TBI cold/ram 14"/3" open element K/N filter 3.73's B&M Megashifter 180 thermostat Flowtech TERMINATOR Exhaust 3" exhaust cutout Silvania Silverstar Headlights Ronal R15 Firehawk Wheels Hankook Ventus Sport (front) Sumitomo HTR+ (rear) 275/40ZR 17 all around... _____________________________ |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|