-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM
djstifft djstifft is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I aim the headlights?

Hello everybody,

Do you know which screws I have to turn to aim the headlights? I know it should be easy, but I looked at them and I couldn't figure out which screws hold the assembly in place and which ones do adjust them.

Thanks,

Djstifft
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Tonyr's Avatar
Tonyr Tonyr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 346
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How do I aim the headlights?

There are two black 10mm bolts that hole the headlight in place. They are a little behind the headlight, mounted to the frame bar. You need the two star-shaped screws to adjust your beams. The kinda sit down a little ways. If you look right over your headlight, on the right side is the screw that adjusts the horizontal beam and about down the middle to your left is another screw, which adjusts your vertical aim. Be careful because the tops of these screws strip out easy and then you're stuck wherever the beams are pointed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 AM
djstifft djstifft is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How do I aim the headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyr
There are two black 10mm bolts that hole the headlight in place. They are a little behind the headlight, mounted to the frame bar. You need the two star-shaped screws to adjust your beams. The kinda sit down a little ways. If you look right over your headlight, on the right side is the screw that adjusts the horizontal beam and about down the middle to your left is another screw, which adjusts your vertical aim. Be careful because the tops of these screws strip out easy and then you're stuck wherever the beams are pointed.

Thank you for your answer Tonyr. Are these the same bolts that I have to take off to get the headlight assembly out? I need to replace the bulbs before I aim it and I can't take them out reaching from behind.

Many thanks,

djstifft
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 AM
richtazz's Avatar
richtazz richtazz is offline
stupidity should hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,129
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Re: How do I aim the headlights?

No, they are different screws, see pic bleow:



Horizontal and vertical aiming of each of the composite headlamps is done by turning adjusting screws which move the headlamp capsule in relation to the headlamp frame. The horizontal adjustment screw (2) is located on the rear middle edge of each of the headlamp assemblies, toward the center of the vehicle. The vertical adjustment screw (1) is located on the rear upper edge of each of the headlamp assemblies, toward the outboard side of the vehicle.

Make sure you have 1/2 tank of gas or less before attempting, or your lamps will be aimed too low.
__________________


Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: How do I aim the headlights?

You can use a 1/4" socket on the star adjusters. Fits just right and will not damage them.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts