|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
I have a new one this week. My '84 Caprice has a 305 and 160k miles on the clock. It runs well, just passed the annual emissions check with no problems.
Starting a few days ago, the check engine light comes on once in a while. It lasts for as little as a .25 mile to 1.5 miles, then poof its out. The computer is 50k miles old, I had my rotted AIR plumbing replaced as well a while back, the PCV valve is new. Could it be as simple as the oxygen sensor, which is inexpensive and easy to replace. Thanks, Bob |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Quote:
PS - to ALL who might see this - don't just go and replace your EGO sensor because your computer is displaying a code because of it. 9 times out of 10, that code is because the engine REALLY IS running too lean or too rich. The air filter comment above is a common cause of a 45 (too rich) and is MUCH cheaper than replacing a $20 sensor and then finding you still have the same problem. Replacing the sensor in most cases is like taking Tylenol for a kidney stone - it might make you 'feel' better about doing it, but it won't do dick for the pain!
__________________
1988 9C1 - Modified LM1 @ 275HP/350TQ - TH700R4 - 3.08 8.5" Disc Rear - see it at http://www.silicon212.org/9c1! 2005 Crown Vic P71 - former AZ DPS - 4.6 liters of pure creamy slothness! 1967 El Camino L79/M20 old school asphalt raper Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have. |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I have to do the code thing, something I've never done before. I know I have to make up a 12 gage wire jumper, I saw someone do it once but didn't take notes. Any help is appreciated, I'm sure most of you have done it.
I'll take a peek at the air filter when I leave work, also will make sure my gas cap is tight. Also, what is an EGO sensor? Thanks, Bob |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
EGO = Exhaust gas oxygen
You don't need a 12-gauge wire, a paper clip works fine. Connect together terminals A and B on the ALDL connector, put the key in Run but don't start the engine.
__________________
1988 9C1 - Modified LM1 @ 275HP/350TQ - TH700R4 - 3.08 8.5" Disc Rear - see it at http://www.silicon212.org/9c1! 2005 Crown Vic P71 - former AZ DPS - 4.6 liters of pure creamy slothness! 1967 El Camino L79/M20 old school asphalt raper Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have. |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
You can use a paper clip to jump it to, thats what I did for my 87.
For GM domestic vehicles made before 1995, the diagnostic connector is located under the dash panel by the driver side. To get the check engine codes to flash in your dash panel, use a jumper wire or a paper clip and connect terminals A and B of the diagnostic connector. Turn your ignition key on with engine off and the codes should start to blink. All codes should start with code 12 which is one long flash followed by 2 short flashes. This code 12 means the diagnostic system is normal and will repeat itself continuously if there are no trouble codes. Otherwise, code 12 will flash 3 times before flashing the fault codes. <--- instructions
__________________
1987 Chevrolet Caprice classic Brougham. 142,000 on the 305 and still chugging
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
In case you're more visual, this might make it a little less confusing:
With the engine and ignition turned off, locate the ALDL connector under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel in the driver's foot well area on some models, and on the left on others, depending on the make and year. There may be a small rectangular cover over the access hole in the lower dash trim. ![]() Insert a jumper tool or paper clip formed into a “U” shape into the 'A' and 'B' terminals on the ALDL connector: ![]() WITHOUT STARTING the engine, turn the ignition to the "RUN" position. Watch the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) - it will begin to flash. This is also commonly called the “Check Engine”, “CEL”, "Service Engine Soon" or "SES" lamp. The first code will flash three times, and will usually be a code '12'. This is encoded by one flash of the lamp, a brief pause, then two successive flashes of the lamp. Each code will repeat three times, so you should see a "Code 12" flash three times. Any other error codes will follow in numerical order, and each code should flash three times. After all codes have been displayed three times, the "Code 12" will again flash three times, then all other codes will follow as described earlier. This cycle will continue until the jumper is removed or the ignition is turned off. After you have made a note of all error codes, turn off the ignition and remove the jumper immediately. If you forget to remove the jumper and attempt to start the engine with it in place, you could damage the ECM. For this reason you should remove it immediately. Once you have a note of all error codes, check this file for the decoding: GM Error Codes.pdf. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open/print the file. |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Blue bowtie do you take all these pics your self?
you always seem to have the right pic or diagram for everything. lolGood work though.
__________________
1987 Chevrolet Caprice classic Brougham. 142,000 on the 305 and still chugging
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
I find it's sometimes easier than the "thousand words" or more it would take to properly explain things. After a while, you'll start to notice some similarities in the photos and diagrams.
![]() I'm fairly new here, but I've been doing this since about the time Al Gore "invented" the internet. I got my first digital camera (Kodak DC215) in 1999 just for this purpose, and have worn it out since.
__________________
Permanent seat assignment on the Group W bench... Automotive Forums Survival Guide |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Thanks for all the information, I have to do it this weekend if the weather is decent.
I changed my air filter, crankcase breather, the PCV valve is recent. It seems to happen only when I'm driving around 55-65 and have gone maybe 3-4 miles. It will stay on for a 1/2 mile to a few miles and blink off, or it will go out once I get below 45 or so. Other than that, the car runs just fine. Bob |
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
I suppose that the EGO sensor is the same thing as the Oxygen Sensor that is in my driver side exhaust tube below the exhaust manifold? With some luck that will be the culprit, really easy to get to, there must be some catch though.
Bob |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Quote:
__________________
1988 9C1 - Modified LM1 @ 275HP/350TQ - TH700R4 - 3.08 8.5" Disc Rear - see it at http://www.silicon212.org/9c1! 2005 Crown Vic P71 - former AZ DPS - 4.6 liters of pure creamy slothness! 1967 El Camino L79/M20 old school asphalt raper Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have. |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Thanks for the clarification on the sensor name. Napa has them for $22.49 if I need one.
I had the electronic choke replaced on it a few years ago, I'm religious about fuel filter changes, aside from that I haven't touched it. I have a local carb shop that has does a great Qjet rebuild if I need it done. It was inspected a couple of months back and all the emissions mumbo jumbo was well within limits. Bob |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Quote:
what i found is that ineeded to clean the O2 sensor. i pulled it out and it was a big ball of carbon. just wiped it off and put it back in. i think that nothing was even getting to she sensor except when the exhaust velocity was high enough to oush through all that carbon buildup. |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
Thanks Greygoose, I like potential cures that cost nothing. With some luck it'll come out without a fight.
Bob |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 84 Caprice Intermittent Check Engine Light
So, what code(s) did you find?
__________________
Permanent seat assignment on the Group W bench... Automotive Forums Survival Guide |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|