-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-29-2006, 11:57 AM
speener's Avatar
speener speener is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished 1st airbrush session

I just finished my first airbrush session and loved it alot. I got an iwata hp cs and i am using it to spray my gt 350. I just sprayed the white wich will be the colour of the stripes and i will wait a while before i mask and spray the silver. Anyways i cleaned my airbrush thouroughly with some winde/distilled water mix and distilled water when putting it back together the tip seemed "sticky" (as if there is a thick coat of grease on it) going on to the assembly and the trigger also seems somewhat worn out as if there is no grease, and the trigger action is not smooth. Is this normal? the finish is also somowhat dull i guess polishing would bring out the shine?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-29-2006, 12:24 PM
gionc's Avatar
gionc gionc is offline
Authorized Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,911
Thanks: 6
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

Quote:
Originally Posted by speener
I just finished my first airbrush session and loved it alot. I got an iwata hp cs and i am using it to spray my gt 350. I just sprayed the white wich will be the colour of the stripes and i will wait a while before i mask and spray the silver. Anyways i cleaned my airbrush thouroughly with some winde/distilled water mix and distilled water when putting it back together the tip seemed "sticky" (as if there is a thick coat of grease on it) going on to the assembly and the trigger also seems somewhat worn out as if there is no grease, and the trigger action is not smooth. Is this normal? the finish is also somowhat dull i guess polishing would bring out the shine?

I guess not, not normal. I also got the HP-CS: I haven't trouble with solvent (nitro, a toluene based thinner): just remove gaskets and place in bath for an hour. I think this procedure isn't reccomended from the supplier and for the long life (BTW it's a great steel airbrush with soft gaskets, no nylon so is good for hot colors and hard thinners).

I do it before use mine and I had ever best results: only I found out acrylics is a bit critics for this kind of AB, more than with others I own (ex. Badger): hard to clean well after and hard to spray trought: different things with professional automotive acrilics (2part and matt base) with quetly hot solvent that flush perfectly trought the Eclipse.
__________________
gio
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Nutsforcars's Avatar
Nutsforcars Nutsforcars is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

Congratulations on your first airbrush session. Once you get used to it, there is no way back to rattle cans. I don't know your brand of airbrush but it sounds like you need to clean a little more. I assume some paint has settled on the outside of your AB and causes the stickiness.
I always spray appropriate "cleaner" through the AB after spraying, ie. window cleaner for acrylics or lacquer cleaner for automotive lacquers. In addition, I recommend that you take the AB apart at the end of the day and soak it in airbrush cleaner. But be careful, the rubber seals might mind some of the solvents over a longer period of time.
I found a product called airbrush cleaner in a local art supplies store. It's very mild and water based, yet after an over-night soak, the AB is nice and clean.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2006, 04:24 PM
speener's Avatar
speener speener is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

well i deffinitly cleaned it well. I used widex and water and took it all apart. I am reluctant to soaking it though because i heard some cleaning products have a certain chemical i believe it is ammonia that tarnishes crome. Anyways the problem is not very serious. The thread is a bit "gunked" up but not with paint. And yes i love airbrushing!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2006, 06:29 PM
freakray freakray is offline
AF Modelrater
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,894
Thanks: 18
Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

What kind of paint were you airbrushing?

Also, Iwata make a lube for their airbrushes, I recommend you pick some up.
__________________
AF User Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
speener's Avatar
speener speener is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

tamiya acrylic paint. Thinned with tamiya acrylic thinner. Ya i cannot really do that since there is no store near me that sells iwata is there any other lube or grease that u guys recommend?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
freakray freakray is offline
AF Modelrater
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,894
Thanks: 18
Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

There are online stores you can get the lube from - it's specifically made for the airbrush. I don't recommend using anything else.
__________________
AF User Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
cyberkid's Avatar
cyberkid cyberkid is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray
There are online stores you can get the lube from - it's specifically made for the airbrush. I don't recommend using anything else.
Sorry, but just curious. Is the lube for only the screws parts of the AB? Or everything including the needle and what-not?
Could you name a few online stores that carries it? I can't seem to find it on most of the modeling supplies sites that I have b'marked.
TIA
Steve
__________________
Please read the following linked articals before posting a question.
Once you have and still have questions, try to post your questions clearly.
This will make a lot of people's blood pressure drop back to normal, including mine.
NEW TO THE AF MODELLING FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
AF Car Modeling Tutorial, How-To and Product Review Depository
AF Car Modeling Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] - * Look here first! * ver2.0
And finally,I wish you all happy modeling
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Hiroboy's Avatar
Hiroboy Hiroboy is offline
www.hiroboy.com vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,842
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy
Re: Just finished 1st airbrush session

Steve, this is the stuff I use it's from Iwata
http://airbrushes.com/product_info.p...d310cba23c766e
If can't get any PM me and I'll sort you out somehow.
__________________
Steve a.k.a. Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com - www.zero-paints.co.uk
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts