-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
GTP man GTP man is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to GTP man
GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

Hello,
I have a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 1996 3.4L and got 3 of the wires on the back injectors chewed by mice....yes mice......now after all is repaired, the car is irregular on idle. I mean that instead of beeing quiet at the regular 800-900RPM idle position, it start to shake and lightly accelerates/increases the RPM by itself to 1000RPM where the shaking stops but it goes down again and all starts again, otherwise it works like a charm. I didn't had this problem before having the car scanned for the main problem above which happened all the sudden one morning. The car barely started, the engine was sheking, no power on acceleration, engine light came on and after a day of scanning found the 3 injector wires chewed by damn mice....bloody kritters. Now that the wires are new, I have this IDLE shaking problem.......it is like the engine is late on the comands.....what I mean is the fact that if I get to a stop light....the RPM take a couple of extra seconds to go down to the usual 8-900RPM and there it starts to shake, as well as on NEUTRAL or PARK. Could someone please advice me on what to do? Could it be the IAC? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

I would check the wires to make sure everything is correct. Once crossed wire at one injector can cause a lot of issues. Also remove and clean the IAC as it may help the idle problem. I would also look at the vacuum lines. You may have a small hole in one. Since mice chewed the wires there are a lot of vacuum lines in that area so they may have chewed one of them too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 AM
GTP man GTP man is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to GTP man
Re: Re: GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
I would check the wires to make sure everything is correct. Once crossed wire at one injector can cause a lot of issues. Also remove and clean the IAC as it may help the idle problem. I would also look at the vacuum lines. You may have a small hole in one. Since mice chewed the wires there are a lot of vacuum lines in that area so they may have chewed one of them too.

PROBLEM SOLVED..........
2nd scan showed no errors so we started with the IAC.
Replacing it with a brand new one made my GTP purr as new.
All happy here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2005, 11:53 AM
mike561 mike561 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

i know this might be a REALLY dumb question and not really anyhting to do with the post, but i noticed quite a few people are having issues with little creatures (like mice) making ther way into peoples grand prix's, is this a problem with these specific cars, like is there openings on these cars where mice and other small creatures can get into?? i know it can happen with any car, just wondering if its more likely with this specific kind or something.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 PM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Re: GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike561
i know this might be a REALLY dumb question and not really anyhting to do with the post, but i noticed quite a few people are having issues with little creatures (like mice) making ther way into peoples grand prix's, is this a problem with these specific cars, like is there openings on these cars where mice and other small creatures can get into?? i know it can happen with any car, just wondering if its more likely with this specific kind or something.
lol. I doubt it Mike. Any car can be subject to this problem not just a Grand Prix. It very easy for any rodent to crawl up into the engine compartment from underneath.

Do you believe that some creature may be causing the frequent electrical problems you are having? If I were you I'd be looking for something that resembles a Gremlin and strangle it to death.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
GTP man GTP man is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to GTP man
Re: GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

For a long time I got hints about small rodents under the hood but I related this problem to other circumstances......bad mecanic, pure hasard, etc......
A couple of years back, when I replaced my air filter, I got a nasty surprise when I found under the air filter a big round ball composed of pieces of fabric, paper, cigarette butts, even small parts of the heat protective fabric which protects the underneath of the hood. I blamed and cursed a mecanic that worked and did a nasty work on my rear shocks........last year I saw frequently at night, cats turning around the GTP and going underneath.........all of this came together only now with the chewed injector wires. $1000 in damages........believe me, this is extremely frustrating, when you maintain the car clean and well pampered, just to see it damaged by some vermin......I now changed the parking spot on my parking lot(pretty huge) and pourred rat poison all around the proximity of the old parking spot. I don't wish to anybody to go thru this ordeal and expenses!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2005, 07:17 PM
mike561 mike561 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: GTP 96, 3.4L IDLE Problem, PLEASE HELP!

lol yea that could be something too ill have to check it out
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts