|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars. |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
emergency brake stuck on...
Usually i dont have a problem puttin my emergency brake on when i park it, but becasue of the recent change in weather (2 foot of snow) my ebrake is stuf on when cold... how do i fix this? new calipers? are there return springs somwhere?
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
My dad just warned me about this morning, i guess just wait till it defrosts and then start parking it in gear instead...
__________________
"Mess with the best...die like the rest" “no better friend, no worse enemy” "trained to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will" 1995 Eagle Talon Tsi Awd - 5sp - 84K - 14b turbo - manual boost controller - K&N - walbro 190 fuel pump - Flowmaster 40seris from muffler back |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
I'd get out the hair dryer and melt the ice off your rear brakes and dry it all up so they don't freeze again. I suppose you could do like she said and park it in gear then, thats what I usually do.
__________________
-Brian
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
That shit just happend to me yesterday! I sold a 2001 Hyundai Sonata to this lady, got it cleaned, washed it, and parked next to the building. When she came back 5 hours later to pick it up the E-brake was locked up. Took like 5 min's of rocking in reverse to break it loose. what a pain in the ass!
__________________
DSM geek |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
So let me get this straight, if I park my car and put on the emergency brake (which I always do btw), the emergency brake can actually freeze up and not move because it too cold outside. Damn. I guess I have to retrain myself from not doing it, since I do it out of a force of habit.
also, what if I forget and do it and I come back a few hours later to see that it is in fact locked up due to the cold. What are my/our options. (mind you I am talking about at work, not at home where one can get a hair dryer to unfreeze it). TS out
__________________
The more the members are involved in the process of development, the better we will be as a community of Automobile enthusiasts. Have a suggestion to make the community better, let us know. Remember, the "No" is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes" Members please read: Guidelines |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
I never leave my car in gear. Its always neutral and e-brake for me. Been doing that since i first learn to drive stick. One time i took my car to the shop, they fixed it, and parked my car in the lot. Seeing that I never leave my car in gear, I start the car, let of the cluth and BANG!!! my car flies into the car parked in front of me. (they parked the car in gear)
__________________
![]() ![]() 1998 RS 5 speed, Stock front bumper w/molded urethane lip, Blitz side skirts, Bomex rear, JSP Carbon Fiber hood. Halo Projection Headlights, Escort radar detector, Turbo style spoiler, 1,200 watt sound system with 2 dual 12 subs, 20% executive tint, 17" sport rims, Custom built 2 1/2 Exhaust, OBX 4-1 Header, CAI, KYB GR-2 struts, Sprint lowering springs. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
so who paid for it?
umm i was driving on an empty road and i swear my rear calipers dont do much braking, so i opened my door doing about 20mph and i watch my rear tire, and slammed ont he brakes and the fronts locked up but no action on the rear... so could the calipers be frozen? |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
The rear tires should NOT lock up, if they did, it would be just like pulling up the handbrake, your back end would be sliding all over the place...
__________________
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
well i was just saying on 1 inch of packed snow, and the ammount of pressure i put on the petal should have locked all four.. no?
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
Well now that the snow is involved, I see your point...but in reality the rear brakes get very little power (stopping force) compared to the front. FOr example when driving and you slowly brake the car down only the front brakes are being used. The rears are only activated when you slam or press hard on the brakes...they are there for an emergency.
__________________
|
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: emergency brake stuck on...
I thought we were talking about e-brakes locking up due to ice and snow? Of course the rear tires will lock up if you yank the e-brake while driving. But he was saying that it locked up overnight while his car sat outside in the storm.
__________________
-Brian
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
I hear you 1992eclipseGS, I also always park my car neutral + ebrake. Got my stereo installed at tweeters, they parked the car in gear and when I started it, it was BAM up and over the curb.
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|