-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-29-2005, 07:22 AM
skrizan skrizan is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intake manifold gasket replacement

First of all I want to make sure this is the problem, I have an external leak, the coolant is pooled up under where the air intake meets the engine on the drivers side and is running down the side of the engine.
Could it be anything else? I can't actually see it coming out when it is running.
The oil looks fine and I have not seen any milky white substance in it, so I don't think it is leeking internally yet.

If this is the problem, then:

I am trying to decide whether to do this myself or have it fixed. I have followed the instructions in my Haynes manual and it looks like a lot of work. It is my third vehicel and my daughter drives it to school and back so I have the time. My question is how difficult is it and are any special tools needed. Also, what are all of the parts that need to be replaced, I know I need the upper and lower manifild gaskets the new bolts with threadlock, oil and antifreeze change etc. But they also mention changing the o-rings on the fuel injectors?
Any tips on parts, tools, techniques and problems you may have run into would be greatly appreciated.

Note: As far as experience, I have changed the wheel bearings a couple of times and I changed the water pump. Neither of these were very difficult.

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Intake manifold gasket replacement

I'm assuming you have 3.4L engine. Other leak possibilities could be the thermostat housing, the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor, upper radiator hose, and the coolant lines and hoses that feeds over to the heater core.

Hopefully you'll find the leak and not need to change out the intake gaskets. Good luck!



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 AM
jrozanc's Avatar
jrozanc jrozanc is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I replaced my LIM Gasket I made sure I had a buddy with LOTS of experience help out. If you are going to do this, you basically have to take apart the entire top half of the engine. A couple things do stand out.
-I replaced the valve covers gaskets. Might as well since it makes it easier to access the gasket without those in the way.

-When you remove the upper intake you need a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines coming from the gas tank.

-Since the engine was half apart, I replaced the serpentine belt. Need a cherry picker to raise the engine to get the belt through the motor mount.

-I removed the pushrods just for safety. Make sure you keep them in the correct order for replacement.

-It took us about 14 hours to do this.

-Take lots of pictures (digital camera) before you take things apart. There are lots of electrical connects and when you start putting things back together it helps to have a reference.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2005, 07:46 AM
skrizan skrizan is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have a friend who used to be a mechanic who has offered to help. I think I will get a couple of estimates before I decide to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2005, 07:49 AM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Re: Intake manifold gasket replacement

One last thing before you decide to replace the intake gaskets is to check the two small coolant hoses directly underneath the throttle body. The hoses feed coolant to the throttle body to help heat it up.

Each hose is connected to the heater core return line running in front of the thermostat housing.

The auto parts stores have a dye kit which can be added to the cooling system which can be read with a black light to check for and confirm external leaks.



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by BNaylor; 11-30-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2005, 12:32 AM
vamc's Avatar
vamc vamc is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,454
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Intake manifold gasket replacement

I agree with bnaylor3400 on that one. Sounds to me to be a gasket.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts