Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Clio/Clio II/Clio III
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
adamdell
AF Newbie

1993 1.4 clio loss of power under acceleration

i have a 1.4 rt clio 1993 L reg and have a problem with a loss of power under acceleration. i have noticed it happens through every gear between 2000 and 3000 rpm, the car stutters and hesitates, but once beyond this it goes fine. its also worse when the engine is cold. any ideas of what the problem could or what might be causing it and any solutions to it? cheers
adamdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
jekyll
AF Newbie

Re: 1993 1.4 clio loss of power under acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdell
i have a 1.4 rt clio 1993 L reg and have a problem with a loss of power under acceleration. i have noticed it happens through every gear between 2000 and 3000 rpm, the car stutters and hesitates, but once beyond this it goes fine. its also worse when the engine is cold. any ideas of what the problem could or what might be causing it and any solutions to it? cheers
Hi adamdell,

I may have the answer to your problem cos it sounds like what my Clio had, and mine has now disappeared! (the problem that is...not the Clio)

Basically I was a bit quick to dismiss the Redex solution I mentioned in my post (just below yours in the forum)...
Cos I had poured it neat into the carb/injector housing and nothing had happened (this is where a mechanic had said the fault was) I assumed it didnt work, BUT i had also put a dosage in the petrol tank and when I wrote my post there was still over half a tank of petrol left. Once this petrol had been used and about a quarter of another tank the stuttering gradually disappeared, and by the time the tank was on empty it was running like a dream!!!!

Redex cleans various components along its journey from the tank and must have cleaned something that was causing the problem that my mechanic wasnt aware of.

So, in short, go buy a bottle of Redex from a petrol garage now - costs £5 (just a bit cheaper than £90 for the part my mechanic said I'd need!) - fill up with petrol and then put a dosage in the tank.

There was 2 doses in the bottle I bought - 1 went in the tank and 1 went directly in the injector housing (I dont know if the one in the injector housing made any differnece though). Give it a chance to work its way through as I did. If the stuttering is still there try repeating the process again.

As I say, this cured the problem for me - I hope you have the same luck too. If it dont work then at least you havent wasted loads of money trying... and your engine will be lovely and clean, which apparently improves fuel economy, saving money in the long run, bonus!

BTW, mine is a '91 RT so very similar model......

All the best mate
jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
adamdell
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1993 1.4 clio loss of power under acceleration

thanks i'll give it a go and see what happens
adamdell is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Clio/Clio II/Clio III