|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here. |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
3:73 or 4:10
i have a 2000 v6 mustang automatic, and i was wondering what the differience between 3:73s and 4:10s . also if i get them which one would you guys prefer getting. thx
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
4.10s are more aggressive. I'm getting 4.10s for my GT...but I have no idea how good they'd be on a V6.
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
The 3.72 would be better for daily type driving the 4.10 are more agressive for a more track/racing car. If you still want to consider fuel economy I say go with the 3.73's but if you just want all out acceleration the 4.10s are the way to go...
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
i am getting 3.73's for my mustang ... i drive too many highway miles for 4.10
__________________
2000mustang v6 silver conv, bbk cold air intake, flowmaster side exhaust, stage 3 roush kit, ZEX 75-125hp wet shot, diamond clear corner headlights, carbon fiber euro's, 17" chrome bullit rims , 8.8" w/4.10's, bosch plugs and wires 2004black regular cab chevrolet silverado, 22' rims, 4.11gears, flowmaster exhaust, AEM cold air intake, throttle boddy spacer, diablo predator chip, 100 wet shot ZEX 2005 Yamaha R1 - result of gas prices... sold the 5.0 crate |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
Everyone I ever met who had 3.73s on a GT wished they had gone with 4.10s. 4.10s aren't that bad on the highway. I mean it's maybe like..1mpg difference. Unless you cruise down the highway at 90mph in fourth gear....
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
I mainly visit forums with old school mustang/cougar/fairlane etc people, 60's and 70's, most have 3 speed autos or 4 speed manuals - no overdrive here. Most run at least 3.73 gears, and they get by. I'd go no less than 4.10 on an overdrive trans.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
what rpm's would i run with a 4 speed auto and 4.10 gears at say 75 or 80?... i have a v6
__________________
2000mustang v6 silver conv, bbk cold air intake, flowmaster side exhaust, stage 3 roush kit, ZEX 75-125hp wet shot, diamond clear corner headlights, carbon fiber euro's, 17" chrome bullit rims , 8.8" w/4.10's, bosch plugs and wires 2004black regular cab chevrolet silverado, 22' rims, 4.11gears, flowmaster exhaust, AEM cold air intake, throttle boddy spacer, diablo predator chip, 100 wet shot ZEX 2005 Yamaha R1 - result of gas prices... sold the 5.0 crate |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
yeah i would definetly go with 4.10 but i wouldnt put them in a v6
__________________
89 Camaro with lt1/t56/headers,borla exhaust,ac delete, march pulleys, slp CAI,3.73 gears,msd ignition,port & polished heads, reprogrammed pc, free mods, hotchkis suspension,sub-frame conn & weight reduction. |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
well..... we are talking about a v6 here
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
Whats the difference if its a v6 or v8? I'd be more inclined to use higher ratio gears on a V6... less power means it needs all the torque multiplication it can get.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/bigger_tires.htm I believe an AOD has a .68 ratio top gear. With a 26" tire, that puts you at around 3000rpm(with a little converter slip fudge factor in there) at 80mph. Not bad at all! |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: 3:73 or 4:10
Quote:
What is and is not acceptable as far as gas mileage, rpm at highway speeds, etc.., is purely subjective, so to each their own. Also a 4.10 7.5" ring and pinion gear is not very physically strong, could be an issue later on. Also if you have plans on making a good amount more hp/torque your gonna toss your 4.10's off for 3.73's/3.55's real quick unless it's dedictaed track car.
__________________
R.I.P. Hypsi- Andy your one of the best people I ever had the priviledge to know. AF and the world has lost one of the truly wonderful people...
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
or if you really want a 4.10 and you dont want problems upgrade to an 8.8" rearend
__________________
2000mustang v6 silver conv, bbk cold air intake, flowmaster side exhaust, stage 3 roush kit, ZEX 75-125hp wet shot, diamond clear corner headlights, carbon fiber euro's, 17" chrome bullit rims , 8.8" w/4.10's, bosch plugs and wires 2004black regular cab chevrolet silverado, 22' rims, 4.11gears, flowmaster exhaust, AEM cold air intake, throttle boddy spacer, diablo predator chip, 100 wet shot ZEX 2005 Yamaha R1 - result of gas prices... sold the 5.0 crate |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
I've decided to stick to my 2.73's and just make up the difference in HP and Torque
__________________
95 GT AKA "The Purple Hippo". Stock 302 bottom end. Edelbrock Heads. Performer 5.0 Intake, 1.7 RR's on stock Cam, Stock T5, 3.27 gears, UD Pullies, K&N Filter, rubber boot deleted, A/C deleted, BBK Catted X-Pipe, 180º TStat, EEC Tuner running J4J1 stock BIN. AEM WB02, Minor tunes, running pig rich. No clue as to RWHP feels a tad faster than a stock 05 GT. |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 3:73 or 4:10
For a naturally aspirated 99+ GT...4.10s are the only way to go. But..if you're supercharged/going to be then you'll probably wanna stick with them 3.27s or at most go with 3.55s. Unless you know how to launch...
|
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: 3:73 or 4:10
Quote:
I didn't like the 4:10's it made 1st gear useless. I prefer 3:73's or 3:90's, but I have had every gear under the sun it seems like 4:10,s 3:90's, 3:73's, 3:55's 3:43(on my V6) and 3:27's. I currently went back to 3:55's but I think I'm gonna go back to the 3:73's. That seems to be the gear I am most happy with.
__________________
My ride at my site Silverstangs. |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|