|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
double clutching....
is it possible to double clutch on a mustang..if so how do you do it?
|
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: double clutching....
Quote:
__________________
1999 Camaro Z28 M6- Aftermarket mods- LS6 Intake, Chip Home mods - Ram Air mod, !CAGS FACTORY FREAK BIOTCH!
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
what does it do n e way?
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: double clutching....
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though double clutching was when, you downshifted you pulled in the clutch reved the engine to the right rpm and then let it out in the lower gear.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: double clutching....
Here's the way I understand it: (BTW this is supposed to work for for both Downshifting and Upshifting)
Let's take Downshifting as an example. In my case, when I'm going at 100km/h (what is that? about 65mph? I'm too lazy to do a conversion) my RPM is about 1.6k on 5th Gear. Now to go at 100km/h on 4th Gear I'd have to have an RPM of 2.1k. So you would do this: 1. At 100km/h on 5th Gear, Press the Clutch Pedal. 2. Switch the stick to neutral and let go of the Clutch Pedal (so Clutch is engaged on Neutral) 3. With stick in Neutral, rev the engine to 2.1k and if you got it just right, you should be able to go straight into 4th Gear without even pressing the Clutch Pedal at all. Why is it done? My understanding is that it protects the Syncros from wear and tear, therefore giving you more Tranny life.
__________________
95 GT AKA "The Purple Hippo". Stock 302 bottom end. Edelbrock Heads. Performer 5.0 Intake, 1.7 RR's on stock Cam, Stock T5, 3.27 gears, UD Pullies, K&N Filter, rubber boot deleted, A/C deleted, BBK Catted X-Pipe, 180º TStat, EEC Tuner running J4J1 stock BIN. AEM WB02, Minor tunes, running pig rich. No clue as to RWHP feels a tad faster than a stock 05 GT. |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
double cluching is actually primarily used in trucks. its purpose it to protect your transmission (which is EXTREMELY expensive in a semi)
when you upshift, you first drive through first gear and press the clutch. at the same time, shift to neutral, then release the clutch. as soon as the revs reach the beginning of the next gear, you press the clutch again and shift to that gear. repeat through all gears. of course, if you simply pop it out of gear, wait for the rpms to match, and then shift into the next gear, you won't grind at all and never have to touch the clutch pedal. all the most experienced truckers do so.
__________________
-Andy '89 Mustang 5.0 - How fast? i'll know this weekend. '86 Mustang LX - Shortblock is built, now for the rest of it. "Put the subject before the verb, hmm? Fail this class, you will." -Yoda teaches english class. |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: double clutching....
Quote:
I still prefer power shifting and breaking trannys!
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex -1999 Ford F150 |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
yes stangnut explained it best i hope 90stangjc was just kidding and i hope you didnt go out and do what he said . if i understood it right you would prob want a milk crate to put the parts that come out on the road into. but maybe i misunderstood something.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: double clutching....
Quote:
Powershifting>HiFlow
__________________
R.I.P. Hypsi- Andy your one of the best people I ever had the priviledge to know. AF and the world has lost one of the truly wonderful people...
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: double clutching....
So thats what happened to your tranny....
Next year they will make those gears out of rubber so they just bounce right in for you.
__________________
1969 Cougar 357w & TKO - 475hp |
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: double clutching....
Hm, straight out of fast and the furious heaven there huh buddayh? It makes no difference at all on the 1/4 mile track, therefore it doesn't matter.
|
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: double clutching....
Double clutching is slow and a relic of old non-synchro'd tranny's.
Semi's- I was taught not to use the clutch, except on takeoff. I powershift, one of 2 ways. 1) leave foot on floor, tap clutch, shift. 2) screw the clutch, leave foot on floor, and shift@full throttle. That one really doesn't work out ot FWD cars, though, it breaks linkage.
__________________
1994 SVT Cobra. 306, Ported GT-40X's, Crane 2031, NX Wet Kit (100 shot for now),TKO 500, TwEECer R/T, and all the bolt-ons..... http://www.cardomain.com/id/mccobra94 1995 F-150 SC/4X4 351W/E4OD, K&N, Custom Exhaust w/Flowmaster. Freedom Isn't Free. |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: double clutching....
Ya linkage on the sideways motors sucks ass.
__________________
1969 Cougar 357w & TKO - 475hp |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: double clutching....
Well kinda. It really started making some funny noises righ after I ran it at the track. Then I started powershifting it for the hell of it. End result, main cluster shaft was distroyed, 3rd gear was gone, and the second gear slider was bent.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex -1999 Ford F150 |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: double clutching....
Ouch. I've only been inside one manual tranny and it was a Jerico. But I get the general idea of what you totaled lol. I thought I screwed up last night in my truck lol. '90 F-150 5.0/5spd. Powershifted into 3rd with 31/10.5 mud/snow tires and it hit 5700rpms spinning. Went sideways doing about 55-60 in a lwb truck on a 2 lane road with a 96 or so mustang haulin ass towards me with a mid 80's camaro on his ass in the middle of a long turn lol. Pulled it back straight somehow though lol.
__________________
1969 Cougar 357w & TKO - 475hp |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|