|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
'91 Galant won't start
I have replaced my starter and my main brain as dealership mechanics said and still can't start my car. Just looking for any info on what else i could be missing. Oh and new fuel pump.
|
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
well you should check your distributor and all wires, plus ignition coil. check the battery, plugs and otherwise ur screwed- does it turn over?
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
Battery is brand new. It does turn over but after testing eack wire to see if i get spark to plugs i only have spark to coil. got new cap and rotor on order hopefully that will fix it.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
it sounds like your ignition coil needs to be replaced, like 30 at advanced auto
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
Looks like Rotor was fried and sending the spark back to coil instead of wires. Plugs got fouled from all the trying to start. New plugs and wires and it should be good as new.
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
'91 Galant has all the basics but won't fire up.
Ok new parts list: computer, distributor, plugs & wires, fuel pump, cap & rotor. I have spark and fuel and it will do nothing but turn over. If anyone has any insight please let me know.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant has all the basics but won't fire up.
Don't quote me, but take into consideration that the ECM could be bad.
These are about 100 dollars at say AutoZone, Napa, etc. A search on web on Electronic Control Modules, shows they usually last 3 to 5 years, especially on 89-94 models. It is located on the head intake to the fuel injection on top side of the block. Located on a small metal bracket, a clip plugs in. Did car just suddenly die? Let me know how it goes if you replace it. |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
I went into the store one day came back out and car never started again. The only trouble I had ever had was car would sputter at 2400 rpms. After talking to a certified Mitsubishi mechanic he said computer was the problem no question. Well he was wrong.
|
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
I did a search on ECM and that is the computer that I have already changed out. It was behind the glove box, and boy the price on that was a tad higher than $100. It was $375 for a rebuilt.
|
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
are u sure u have fuel pressure? if not i would check the pump or the pump relay. get a pressure test done, just to be sure.
|
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
I just wanted to let you know that the control module that I tried telling you about is actually called the ICM which is the Ignition control module.
You can see where the clip plugs into the small computer (ICM). It is on a metal bracket. It's easier to pull both bolts on bracket. Usually if computer in dash goes, there can be a funky, burnt, almost dead fishy smell. My brother inlaw has 1990 Galant, spent bunch of money trying to fix. I suspected the control module but didn't know which one. Had to have car to worksite to diagnose. |
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
I am having another certified mechanic check it out. Thanks for the info I will keep the ICM in mind.
|
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: '91 Galant won't start
wandered how things went. Or if they went at all. I know how frustrating it has had to of all been, If fixed, what was problem?
|
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Well this is what I have found out. We checked the injectors and 3 of them are on full blast the second I turn the key. 2 of them were shooting full streams 20 ft. I have replaced the injectors but whatever controls the impulses for them is out seeing how they are on full time instead of shooting when told to. We light tested them and 3 are on full time 1 isn't working at all. The distributor is not the cause of this we tore apart the distributor and took it out of car and injectors still did same thing. As of now I have no idea what is controling the impulses to the fuel injectors so any insight would be greatly appreciated.
|
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Last week my car stoped and not worked.
My friend find the problem. Gear of Distributor mils broken. (So this gear coupled by trigger gear) We didnt find orginal part and we weld it. Now may car working. Your problem may be same. Open the distributor cover and turn the moving contact of distributor by your finger. You have same problem if freely turn. (Normaly this contact dont move by hand.) |
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|