-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-21-2004, 11:48 PM
freebeer freebeer is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96 contour will not turn over

My junky 96 ford contour 4 cyl. automatic will not start. I drove it to work, no problems. When I was leaving work, the engine will turn over but not run. The starter motors over the engine with no problem. But it just won't run. I tried jumping it (thinking the extra juice might help) with no luck. I checked all of the fuses in both fuse boxes and they are all fine. there is no spark coming out of the ignition coil pack so I checked the coil pack like it said in the Chilton manual and it checked out gook. The only thing I thought that might be odd is the secondary coil is supposed to be 12.8-13.1 ohms and when I tested it, it was 12.6 ohms. I know it's off, but that seems to be a minor amount. Could this be the problem?

Also I can't shift out of park. I push on the brake and put the key to the run position and the automatic shift knob doesn't move, and I tried moving it fairly forcefully. I checked the switch that is located on the brake pedal arm and it is good. When I press the shift unlock button(?) on the shift lever, I can hear a click sound coming from inside the stearing column. But I've noticed that sound before, and assumed it was a normal sound like a solenoid or something.?

Another problem that started at the same time is that the electric windows will not roll down, even when the key is in the on position.

The brake lights work, the head lights work, electric door lock works, I haven't checked the radio.

Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Does anybody have any suggestion before I just start changing parts? I think my next plan is to look at the ignition switch (where the key goes). If I don't get it fixed, I'll probably end up selling it on E-Bay. Please Help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 PM
dp62273 dp62273 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to dp62273
Re: 96 contour will not turn over

i have a 2000 ford contour just about 3 weeks ago my wife was driving home and the car was acting funny she stopped at a near by gas station. when she went to start the car it just turned over but never would start. i went after work to take a look i couldn't get it to start.so we had it taken to a shop. 300.00 dollars latter it turned out to be the the timing belt. it might be something you might what to look into....



Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeer
My junky 96 ford contour 4 cyl. automatic will not start. I drove it to work, no problems. When I was leaving work, the engine will turn over but not run. The starter motors over the engine with no problem. But it just won't run. I tried jumping it (thinking the extra juice might help) with no luck. I checked all of the fuses in both fuse boxes and they are all fine. there is no spark coming out of the ignition coil pack so I checked the coil pack like it said in the Chilton manual and it checked out gook. The only thing I thought that might be odd is the secondary coil is supposed to be 12.8-13.1 ohms and when I tested it, it was 12.6 ohms. I know it's off, but that seems to be a minor amount. Could this be the problem?

Also I can't shift out of park. I push on the brake and put the key to the run position and the automatic shift knob doesn't move, and I tried moving it fairly forcefully. I checked the switch that is located on the brake pedal arm and it is good. When I press the shift unlock button(?) on the shift lever, I can hear a click sound coming from inside the stearing column. But I've noticed that sound before, and assumed it was a normal sound like a solenoid or something.?

Another problem that started at the same time is that the electric windows will not roll down, even when the key is in the on position.

The brake lights work, the head lights work, electric door lock works, I haven't checked the radio.

Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Does anybody have any suggestion before I just start changing parts? I think my next plan is to look at the ignition switch (where the key goes). If I don't get it fixed, I'll probably end up selling it on E-Bay. Please Help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2004, 10:27 AM
randra randra is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 contour will not turn over

starting problem. same thing. There is an in-line fuse under the air intake unit near the alternator that leads to the battery. If it blows, jump starting wont help. It's about six dollars.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will not turn over, not passlock sjoslyn00 Grand AM 7 11-19-2009 12:53 PM
89 944 will crank, but will not turn over. jtzx750 924/944/968 1 08-30-2006 05:50 PM
Will not turn over. Not the Battery or Starter Chance_123 Villager 13 07-20-2005 01:23 AM
Will not Turn over ( Not the Battery or Starter ) HELP PLEASE!! Chance_123 Quest | Presage | Serena 0 06-16-2005 11:28 PM
1986 ford tempo will not turn over with booster only clicks bigguy General Discussion 1 07-10-2003 09:50 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Contour


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts