Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
10010nths
AF Newbie

Exclamation 88 Grand Caravan tranny problems

firstly, i have an 88 Dodge grand caravan with a 3.0L V6 engine

it has had this problem a while but ive been told it wasnt transmission problems by several mechanics.

the problems it has been having is that when the vehicle is initally put into Drive from park, the tranny seems to jump. once in drive the vehicle
only goes from 1st to 2nd gear and wont go up or down in gear after that. After the vehicle is running for awhile (about 30 minutes), it wont go into drive so it has to "cool down" for about 5 minutes. Problem is, it will always go into reverse.

i replaced the torque convertor like several mechanics suggested and i still have the same problem. i also used the "self diagnostic" referred to in the haynes manual, and got code 55, which just means nothing is showing up wrong in the transmission.

any suggestions would be appreciated
10010nths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #2
RexNfx400
AF Regular

Re: 88 Grand Caravan tranny problems

How could it not be a trans problem??? lol I suggest you go to another/much better mechanic. Torque converter definatly has nothing to do with anything you desrcribe. Theres not any reason to even pull codes for this transmission. Except for the Converter.
I would say its probably like this...Differential and trasnfer shaft bearings have failed. This loads the transmission with very fine steel. This gets into the valvebody and govenor and hangs shift valves and the pressure regulators.
You need to find a better tech!
RexNfx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
gforster
AF Enthusiast

Right on the money Refnfx400!
I have seen so many governors plugged with diff bearing particles and that is the classic symptom...
It's an A-670 so how do you get tranny codes!!??
gforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
10010nths
AF Newbie

tranny codes were in my haynes manual, theres about 3-4 pages on them. To actually get the code run the engine for about 30 minutes then turn off, turn ignition key to let lights and electric on (not the engine), turn off, turn on, turn off, and finally turn back to on. This will spit out the codes through the "check engine" light. Mine being 5 blinks, a pause, and five more blinks.
10010nths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
RexNfx400
AF Regular

This means "end of self test"
No codes stored
Old 03-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
gforster
AF Enthusiast

These are simply the ENGINE related codes, this method will not retrieve the trans codes, which I gaurantee you will not have any because your trans is not electronically controlled. The first year for the electronic A604 trans was '89.
Pull the trans and check out all the bearings - especially the differential. I would say you need a rebuild, and make sure you really clean the governor well. (It's on the transfer shaft which drives the pinion gear) It's this baby that's mostly responsible for your shifting troubles.

Good luck,
Geoff
gforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
stickman47
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10010nths
firstly, i have an 88 Dodge grand caravan with a 3.0L V6 engine

it has had this problem a while but ive been told it wasnt transmission problems by several mechanics.

the problems it has been having is that when the vehicle is initally put into Drive from park, the tranny seems to jump. once in drive the vehicle
only goes from 1st to 2nd gear and wont go up or down in gear after that. After the vehicle is running for awhile (about 30 minutes), it wont go into drive so it has to "cool down" for about 5 minutes. Problem is, it will always go into reverse.

i replaced the torque convertor like several mechanics suggested and i still have the same problem. i also used the "self diagnostic" referred to in the haynes manual, and got code 55, which just means nothing is showing up wrong in the transmission.

any suggestions would be appreciated
Your A-604 transmission has entered the twlight zone known as "limp mode". It is an indication that you need a rebuild. The most common cause of this is using ATF+3 fluid, although Chrysler says you can. The clutch linings break down and clog the valve body. The PCM detects this and locks the tranny in 2nd gear. This gives you the ability to "limp" to a repair shop. After market linings are compatible with AFT+3 adn, if the Chrysler plates are not used, the tranny will outlive the car...
stickman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:21 PM   #8
RexNfx400
AF Regular

Just wanted to verify a couple things for ya, Stick. The 604 was not in production till '89. You diffenatly want to use ATF+3(7176) Do not use ATF+4 in any minivan with a 604, BEFORE 2000! Use it it any other Mopar you can find. Don't matter if its a Ram 2500 or a New Yorker, any year, just no minivan. Also its semi-synthitic, so thats awesome cooling and stuff. The mini van has a special Torque Converter Clutch(TCC) strategy. Its made to slip, so the ATF+3 is modified for this. Also, no matter how bad a 604 is damaged, there is never a problem with the valve body, other than separater plate #33. And...Half the time when a Mopar is in "limp mode", its fixed with electronics. Not rebuild. Espesially after '96. Well, other than hard parts failure because the 3.8L puts out too much power for this well designed 3.0L transmission. (no more lip seals and no more too thin reaction plate)

Not ranken on ya Stick , just letting you know sup. As these vehicles pay my mortgage, visa bills, etc etc...

Stay cool