-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-02-2004, 02:13 PM
LittleGSEclipse LittleGSEclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LittleGSEclipse
I Need Help!! Eclipse

O.K I know everyone is big on people asking things over again that have already been discussed.. But the other "symptoms" that people are talking about are not the same type of problems I am having. Theres alot of people saying their car makes the noise when the car is cold,or they switch octane grades, or they have a turbo. I do not have any of those problems and the noise does not go away when the car warms up it gets worse. When the car is cold is when it actually doesnt make the noise.

I just recently purchased a 1995 Eclipse GS. I know the GS are the cheapest Models but hey I like the car. And I only paid 2,000 for the car. The problem is this. I think It has a rod knock. When I turn the car on It sounds fine. But when I rev the engine and the RPM's go over about 3 grand the engine starts to knock. I tried new plugs and wires but nothing. The car is not burning oil. And if I remove the #1 plug wire from the plug and rev the engine up the sound goes away of course the engine starts acting up once I do that but theres no noise. According to the place where I baught my car they replaced the rod bearings after they called me and told me it was "fixed" I went and picked it up and there was no noise at all it was fine I sat there about 20 minutes at the mechanics with the car running to see if anything sounded funny. NOTHING. So I took it home. I live about 30 minutes from where I picked up car up. I took it easy going home not going over 65 mph. Sure enough when I got home and parked the car, I revved the engine up still not believing it was fixed and the damn noise is back.

So my questions to you guys are, what do you think it could be? And do you really think that they did any work to the car other then maybe adjusting the valves and them doing bad work? They didnt charge me anything so they didnt beat me. And they said they if it needed another engine they would replace it for free. But I highly doubt that they want to do that since I got the car cheap. And the first time that they had my car I was carless for 2 weeks. And now they told me not to drive the car and they would have a tow truck pick it up and take it back to the shop. So god knows how long they are going to have the car this time.

Any suggestions as to what you guys think it could be would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and the noise is hard to tell where its coming from. top or bottom. And it sounds like its coming from the #1 plug area.

Ok I have an update.... the car also only starts to "knock" once It warms up. When the engine is cold and you rev it ,it does not make that noise.

I am being told that it can be a bad lifter? Or something that has to due with the valves....

Bad oil pump maybe?
Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2004, 02:42 PM
ashah000's Avatar
ashah000 ashah000 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ashah000
Re: I Need Help!! Eclipse

RS is the lowest model... FYI
__________________
For Sale 98 Eclipse GS, 5 spd
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2004, 02:46 PM
RomainDeaMarchi's Avatar
RomainDeaMarchi RomainDeaMarchi is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: I Need Help!! Eclipse

That answers your question
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
LittleGSEclipse LittleGSEclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LittleGSEclipse
LOL Sorry... Ok so I dont have the lowest model. But I still need someone to help me with my problem... Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
ashah000's Avatar
ashah000 ashah000 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ashah000
Re: I Need Help!! Eclipse

Could it be a spun bearing... i dont know im guessing.
__________________
For Sale 98 Eclipse GS, 5 spd
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 PM
BoostedSpyder's Avatar
BoostedSpyder BoostedSpyder is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to BoostedSpyder Send a message via Yahoo to BoostedSpyder
Re: I Need Help!! Eclipse

well, if it's going back to the shop i think you will find out sooner than any of us could give you an answer that will be tangible. and it sounds as if you have it narrowed down as well...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2004, 07:20 AM
LittleGSEclipse LittleGSEclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LittleGSEclipse
Yea thats true that its going back to the shop but the people that I baught the car from kinda seem like they dont want to deal with it, they really dont have to do any of the work they sold me the car with no warranty, but now it seems like I'm bothering them. I went home yesterday and took off the valve cover, one of the cam shafts right around where it touches the lifter is, has a couple of chunks taken out of it.

Also I noticed that the noise only occurs when you get to about 2,000 rpm and seems to go away when it gets to about 3,000 rpm.

I was also told to check the timing on it. I dont know if that would make that noise if it was out of timing. But When I get home today I am going to make sure the timing is correct.

Is there any other things that you guys think I should check myself(my mechanical ability is about a 7 or 8 out of ten) before the mechanic comes to pick up the car, because Of course I'm not driving the car.

Any Ideas you guys might have would be appreciated... Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2004, 02:13 PM
BoostedSpyder's Avatar
BoostedSpyder BoostedSpyder is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to BoostedSpyder Send a message via Yahoo to BoostedSpyder
Re: I Need Help!! Eclipse

if there are chunks taken out of the cam, it will be out of balance when spinning, and this could have also been a prior problem. it would seem as if these guy's probably knew about the problem prior to selling it to you. also, DSM's are tricky to work on, if you don't have the experience.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 eclipse nonturbo- just turns off. Need help Mighty Pocketz Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain 8 11-03-2010 07:09 PM
I need help!! Cade.Garrett Car Buying Q&A 1 06-04-2009 07:07 PM
I need help on fixing up my 91 eclipse tyree Off-Topic 4 08-10-2004 02:04 AM
99 Eclipse GS Non-Turbo Auto DOHC need help any would be helpful....PLEASE a99eclipsedriver Off-Topic 7 10-07-2003 08:13 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts