-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-24-2004, 12:42 PM
dmorse1978
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Sealed Transmission

I read in my manual that the 98 Malibu has a sealed transmission and that it doesnt require changing the fluid. So, how come everytime I go have my oil changed or something minor, they tell me my transmission fluid needs service and when I mention that I have a sealed transmission they just look at me like I'm stupid and say they've never heard of that? I know I'm not crazy, I can read. I've even asked them to "Show me the dipstick if you checked my transmission fluid" and of course they change the subject or give me the run around (because there is no dipstick). So are they trying to take me for a ride, are they just stupid, or what? Do you really not ever have to change the transmission fluid? Or is this just so new, not too many people know about it yet?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2004, 01:54 PM
quaddriver quaddriver is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver Send a message via MSN to quaddriver Send a message via Yahoo to quaddriver
Re: Sealed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse1978
I read in my manual that the 98 Malibu has a sealed transmission and that it doesnt require changing the fluid. So, how come everytime I go have my oil changed or something minor, they tell me my transmission fluid needs service and when I mention that I have a sealed transmission they just look at me like I'm stupid and say they've never heard of that? I know I'm not crazy, I can read. I've even asked them to "Show me the dipstick if you checked my transmission fluid" and of course they change the subject or give me the run around (because there is no dipstick). So are they trying to take me for a ride, are they just stupid, or what? Do you really not ever have to change the transmission fluid? Or is this just so new, not too many people know about it yet?

Thanks!
GM says you should change the fluid once every 100K. That might work, but Id recommend once every 50K and add an additional tranny cooler.

that oil change place sounds like a ripoff, tell the manager they are fools and post giant signs outside not to patronize them....otherwise, get your tranny fluid changed WITHOUT a flush....just a simple drop and drain
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2004, 03:11 PM
burly burly is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

The manual suggests that you check it at 50K miles and lists several conditions which, if fit your driving, warrant changing the fluid and filter. If you do not meet any of the requirements, it says to wait until 100K. Check the back of your manual for the Short Trip | Long Trip Maintanence schedules and you will see it listed @ 50K. And yes, there is no dipstick. Hope this helps.
__________________
Car: 2003 Malibu (Base)
Modifications: KC Fog lamps, autodimming rearview mirror w/ compass&temperature, window tinting, rear speakers, front speakers, sub, synthetic ATF & aux tranny cooler.
Future modications: Dynamat interior, alloy wheels & new tires, intake, exhaust & intake manifold???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2004, 07:41 AM
desertmike1 desertmike1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have an oil level screw on the R/H forward side of the tranny, remove the screw and oil should be at this level.

Oil fill is below exhuast on the left side of the engine compartment, other-wise everything else is the same as older trannys, remove pan drain, and change filter etc.
Chilton Manual is very informative!

I did mine last summer.

-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2004, 04:19 AM
rachelw81 rachelw81 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse1978
I read in my manual that the 98 Malibu has a sealed transmission and that it doesnt require changing the fluid. So, how come everytime I go have my oil changed or something minor, they tell me my transmission fluid needs service and when I mention that I have a sealed transmission they just look at me like I'm stupid and say they've never heard of that? I know I'm not crazy, I can read. I've even asked them to "Show me the dipstick if you checked my transmission fluid" and of course they change the subject or give me the run around (because there is no dipstick). So are they trying to take me for a ride, are they just stupid, or what? Do you really not ever have to change the transmission fluid? Or is this just so new, not too many people know about it yet?

Thanks!

I own a 98 malibu LS I bought it brand new with 21 miles on it and one of the selling points was the sealed trans and the fact that it SHOULDNT have to be serviced till 100k miles. Well almost as soon as I hit 60K the trans died, its shot!! I have nothing above 2nd gear. I had no warning no slips, grinding, etc. I call my brother in law cause he worked for GM for 5 years in the shop he has never heard of a sealed trans that you cannot check the fluids on. He doubted my word so much he went to a dealor and looked at the car!!! He was shocked and amazed no dip stick! However there is a way to check it its just a pain in the butt. There is supposed to be a small plug on the underside of the car near the pan to "check" the fluid. IMHO top it off every time you get an oil change or you could be stuck like me with two kids and no car. This car was nothing but wonderful untill it hit the 55k mile mark. I never had a problemwith it in any way. Then BOOM the AC starts crapping out it seems to have a mind of its own where the cooling shuts off when every it feels like it, the dealer found nothing wrong. The alarm thats in a whole other thread here I have had the same trouble. Has anyone ever had the alarm go off while driving? Well as I mentioned i have 2 small children and one was playing with the lock button and the alarm started going off while i was driving down the road fun huh
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2004, 07:28 PM
mtdxx mtdxx is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 243
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just got a malibu, I had posted something similar. You are not alone.

What a dumb set up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Cidthefallen Cidthefallen is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

if you got an exstended warrenty i recomend blowing up your engine and transmission as your head gasket will probably go and other various problems as you probably have read in other topics. so far i paid twice. 50 for altinator and 50 for new tire rods head gasket and new coolent system
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2009, 01:50 PM
dmorse1978
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry Re: Sealed Transmission

LMAO..it's 5 years LATER and I just got a call from another place, Goodyear at that, I dropped it off for an oil change and AC recharge (and yes, my AC turns on and off by itself also!) and of course they had an entire list of things they recommended I do.. fuel filter (already done), upper and lower hoses and brake/powersteering/transmission fluid flush.. because the fluid is dirty.

So, I asked again, how did you check the transmission fluid.. I was told with a dipstick.. again I said I don't have a dipstick..so he went and checked w/ the "mechanic" who worked on my car and came back and said "he pulled the dipstick, ma'am" and I told him that car has a sealed transmission and no dipstick.. he wanted to debate the point, but I didn't have time for nonsense, I'm not going with any of their 'recommendations'... I think they're just trying to get money.

However, I do have 152k miles on the car.. I know I need to get the tranny fluid changed (not flushed!)... do we really need to change the brake/power steering fluid too?

I find it SO irritating that these places try to rip you off..and I think it's SO much worse when you're a woman..they just assume you're car stupid!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 AM
slls slls is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 355
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse1978 View Post
LMAO..it's 5 years LATER and I just got a call from another place, Goodyear at that, I dropped it off for an oil change and AC recharge (and yes, my AC turns on and off by itself also!) and of course they had an entire list of things they recommended I do.. fuel filter (already done), upper and lower hoses and brake/powersteering/transmission fluid flush.. because the fluid is dirty.

So, I asked again, how did you check the transmission fluid.. I was told with a dipstick.. again I said I don't have a dipstick..so he went and checked w/ the "mechanic" who worked on my car and came back and said "he pulled the dipstick, ma'am" and I told him that car has a sealed transmission and no dipstick.. he wanted to debate the point, but I didn't have time for nonsense, I'm not going with any of their 'recommendations'... I think they're just trying to get money.

However, I do have 152k miles on the car.. I know I need to get the tranny fluid changed (not flushed!)... do we really need to change the brake/power steering fluid too?

I find it SO irritating that these places try to rip you off..and I think it's SO much worse when you're a woman..they just assume you're car stupid!
If you have never changed the trans fluid forget it, it will cause problems. If ABS the brake fluid should be changed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Jetex Jetex is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

The words “sealed transmission” are a misnomer. If you can drop the transmission pan by loosening and taking the bolts out it is not “sealed.” If it has a drain plug and a filler plug it is also not sealed. Just because a transmission hasn’t got a dipstick does not mean you cannot change the transmission fluid. It could be that GM was saving money by not having a dipstick. You check the fluid level as stated by others here. But be careful, there is a correct procedure for that. It's best if a proper GM dealership does it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Ed_Strong's Avatar
Ed_Strong Ed_Strong is offline
Son of a Mechanic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 581
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetex View Post
It's best if a proper GM dealership does it.
That's the whole reason for the trannys not having a dipstick. GM and most other manufacturers want your money when needing repairs and they're making it dificult for the DIY backyard mechanic to do their own work on their cars and end up going to them for service!
__________________
----------------------------------------------

Current Rides:
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L - 3.5L V6 -{|}- 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD 1.8 I4
________________________________________

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
ricebike ricebike is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 873
Thanks: 8
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

i've seen this on other GM cars, like my sis' cavalier... i hate it!

and those service garages; go in person and tell them to show you where the trans dipstick is! then scream at the manager for not knowing about these vehicles when even the common-man who opens up an owner's manual would prove it!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Jetex Jetex is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

I think the reasoning behind the lack of a dipstick is that if there are no leaks in the transmission then, there is no reason to top up with fluid. Overfilling can kill the transmission. It's easy enough to check for leaks by looking under the car. My 2004 Malibu user handbook says the fluid must be changed at 50K miles under severe operating conditions and 100K miles under normal operating conditions. So, if there are no leaks there is no need to top up in between. Nowhere in my user manual does it say the transmission is "sealed." I wish people would stop using that term.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
manicmechanix manicmechanix is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 529
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetex View Post
I think the reasoning behind the lack of a dipstick is that if there are no leaks in the transmission then, there is no reason to top up with fluid. Overfilling can kill the transmission. It's easy enough to check for leaks by looking under the car. My 2004 Malibu user handbook says the fluid must be changed at 50K miles under severe operating conditions and 100K miles under normal operating conditions. So, if there are no leaks there is no need to top up in between. Nowhere in my user manual does it say the transmission is "sealed." I wish people would stop using that term.

I agree. I don't like the no dipstick design, but the reasoning that they did it that way was as you stated they didn't want to make it easy for amateurs adding trans fluid when it wasn't needed.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 AM
skiking700 skiking700 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sealed Transmission

If it wasn't sealed, wouldn't it leak? All tranny's are sealed, some are just more service friendly than others. The word "sealed" is very misunderstood. All trannys need preventive maintenance to insure a long life cycle.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking Front Axle Seal (With Pictures) wagslick Silverado 10 11-27-2010 08:14 AM
Intake Manifold Gasket End Seals bjaymo3 Grand Prix 5 07-30-2010 08:29 AM
How hard is a rear differential pinion seal to replace? mkenyon2 Modifications/How To 3 03-16-2010 10:58 AM
98-02 Sealed Transmission- can a dipstick be added? devil34 Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard 1 06-10-2006 08:48 AM
left axle shaft seal/transmission leak... SaphusGT 3000GT/Stealth 4 06-09-2006 03:44 AM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts