-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-15-2004, 11:08 PM
tygerfly tygerfly is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to tygerfly Send a message via Yahoo to tygerfly
Angry 89 metro won't start, Help!

Okay, I saw a few different threads concerning this, but they are not the same exactly, or they didn't help.

Problem:
1989 Geo Metro won't start. It turns over, but won't catch.

I've checked:
compression-good, fuel-good, fire-ok, not great, fuses-good, timing belt-good

I've replaced:
Plugs, wires, cap, roter, battery, ignition coil, distributor, hmmm, think that's it.

None of this has helped either. The fire is still weaker than it should be, but it's there. The fuel lines are fine, as is the filter and all else fuel related. Now, I have NO idea what else it could be. Is there anything else that causes the weak fire, or just turn over and not start?

Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2004, 10:53 AM
pind pind is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 metro won't start, Help!

The only thing i could suggest, other than what you have done, is a compression test. And check the position of the timing, it may be off by one tooth.

I have an 89 that was recently retired from race duty. I had the same problem with it about 8 years ago, crank and crank, no engine fault codes, everything where it should be, and still no start.

I went through every imaginable part on the thing, finding exactly nothing wrong, until one day i noticed the fuel in the throttle body. Way too much fuel. The problem on that one turned out to be the o-ring underneath the injector, swelling and pushing the injector up. Enough to let it leak by, and dump copious amounts of raw fuel into the throttle body. It was basically drowning the engine.

On a related note, when I finally discovered the problem, I changed the o-ring, then pulled the plugs to let the cylinders clean out a bit. Left the coil lead hooked up, and didn't really think about the plug leads resting on the exhaust manifold. Until cranking it over with oil in the cylinders, while purging the gas. 155psi compression pressures, without anything to hold them back, and a source of ignition for the gas vapours, make for a cool flame show. hah
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 PM
tygerfly tygerfly is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to tygerfly Send a message via Yahoo to tygerfly
Re: 89 metro won't start, Help!

Well, the compression came out fine, and we put a timin light on it, it's in time. But, I will check further on the fuel and o-ring just to see. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
geozukigti geozukigti is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could be a bad coil also. OK fire is sometimes not good enough. A new coil is about $20 at an auto parts store, or $40 for a nice MSD high output coil. You'll get smoother idle, better MPG, and a few more ponies with an MSD.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2004, 04:29 PM
tygerfly tygerfly is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to tygerfly Send a message via Yahoo to tygerfly
Re: 89 metro won't start, Help!

Changed the coil already. if it is the same one your talking about, it was $20. Well, I really thank y'all for the help. Got it running!

Seems it was the crank angle sensor. Found the geo book and checked the codes. The air gap was cruddy and not right. So, cleaned it up and readjusted the air gap for the crank angle sensor, cleared out the codes, and it's running! I just knew it had to be something simple. Well, this time it was. LOL

Thank you again for the suggestions!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2004, 07:28 PM
SillyWilly SillyWilly is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to SillyWilly
Where is the Fuel Filter located on an 89 geo metro?

Where do I find the Fuel Filter on an 89 geo metro???
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2004, 10:42 PM
westsidex's Avatar
westsidex westsidex is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounted under the driver's rear of the car, just above the emergency brake cable.
__________________
Get to Know Geo Metro: The Small Car with Big Ideas - http://geodriver.tripod.com.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2004, 07:30 AM
geojim geojim is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 metro won't start, Help!

tygerfly - Your orginial post didn't mention that you were getting a code, which would have been a key as to where to look first.
__________________
1993 Geo Metro - 1.0, MT, A/C - 343K Miles
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2004, 12:23 PM
crazyinkc crazyinkc is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 183
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 metro won't start, Help!

Sounds like a bad ignitor. Try swapping with a known good one. I think it is mounted in the dissy on that model (please correct me if I'm wrong). I see you changed the dissy out but did you swap with another used one? I hope you find the problem but it sure sounds like an ignitor (ignition module) to me.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please Help! 95 3.4 Won't Start No Spark elvisnut F-Body Problem Diagnosis 9 04-09-2009 03:20 PM
my 91 metro won't start...help! w/o_a_clue Metro 2 01-10-2005 01:31 PM
97 Geo Metro won't start geometro Metro 5 01-03-2005 10:45 PM
1996 Geo Metro Won't Start in the Cold! Freya Metro 1 02-01-2004 10:46 PM
1995 Metro won't start carwoes Metro 1 11-26-2003 05:10 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Geo > Metro


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts