-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-29-2004, 10:20 AM
ExpyGator ExpyGator is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
modded Windstar

I am considering purchasing a 2002 or newer Windstar or Freestar. I know its a minivan, but what can be done with these performance wise(exhaust, induction,springs,swar bars, shocks) and to clean up exterior(trim, badge and rack removal)? If I'm going to drive one, it's definately not going to look and act like one.....for the most part. Kenny Brown builds one, but I can't really find any info on their web site. Any suggestions or should I stick with my Expedition?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Seizer's Avatar
Seizer Seizer is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

It's personal preference I guess on the Windstar vs. Expedition.

Hey you can always put a glass pack on which will help flow, and back pressure. There's always the K&N air filter, and I am sure with the supplies at Home Depot or any performance store you could come up with a cold air intake. Of course maybe finding a Mustang throttle body might have a bigger opening or even removing your stock one and seeing if you can remove some material to open it up more. Nitrous of course, turbo kit maybe, probably will take some engineering on your part to come up with a suitable system. But don't forget about the warranty you start messing with this stuff and I am sure it will void it.

That would be pretty cool to dust some of these import kids with a Ford Windstar that was heavily modified. I hope this helps but if you can afford a new Windstar why not just get a Mazda RX8 or similar sports car?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2004, 07:04 AM
ExpyGator ExpyGator is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are all great ideas. I'd stop short of nitrous or a turbo though. I have to stick with a Ford because this is a company car and they only buy Fords....and they won't let us have a GT or Cobra for that matter. I need something relatively large to haul kids and their junk. Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2004, 05:40 PM
rodeo02 rodeo02 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sure it's not the answer you were looking for, but like any customizing job, you can do anything with the proper tools, time and money. Especially the $$$. You will not find many direct-fit bolt on / plug in performance mods for a windstar. They don't exist due to the fact that profits are slim to none in selling such items for a mini-van application. Go with the ford SUV if you want to mod it.
G/luck
Joel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2004, 01:42 PM
chrisstang chrisstang is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: modded Windstar

Doesn't the Windstar com with a 3.8 v6? If so, couldn't you locate a blower of of a thunderbird supercoupe and bolt it on. There are also tons of aftermarket stuff to make the piggish V6 mustang perform, I think
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2004, 02:19 PM
DRW1000 DRW1000 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,422
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Re: modded Windstar

I would just put in a good stereo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Seizer's Avatar
Seizer Seizer is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: modded Windstar

That would be great with the supercharger, but check out this link. www.coolcats.net/tech/general/v6.html

Doesn't sound like you could just slap a blower on. Sure you could figure out someway to though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
rodeo02 rodeo02 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Keep in mind that the weak spot on these (or any) minivans is the transmission. You'd blow it to bits in no time with a tweaked/higher output engine.
G/luck
Joel
__________________
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i base CVT
2016 Nissan Quest SV
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
fcrew fcrew is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: modded Windstar

If you have access to a SC 3.8 you should use the steel crank and you would have a bullit proof bottom end and an engine that would scream-aproxamatly 265-280 horsepower!. For exhaust you could modify a cat back system from a Taurus SHO or use an aftermarket brand for that car adding a possible 10 to 15 horsepower( on the low side you would have a van with about 275 HP, then if you really want to scare people add NOS 75 power shot for a total of 350 Horsepower!!!.Of coarse if you want a V8 you would have to purchase a 95 to 98 (1999 and up don't have the underhood space to make a V8 fit.)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 PM
wiswind wiswind is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,639
Thanks: 0
Thanked 116 Times in 92 Posts
Re: modded Windstar

I will echo the advise given as to the transmission.....as they say.....a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.
You can help the life of your transmission with a nice big auxillary cooler.

For improving airflow in.....the air box...and ducting provide MUCH more resistance than the air filter. So just putting a K&N filter into the existing filter box is not going to provide much boost in performance....but will permit more dirt in than the OEM filter. If you can reduce the resistance to airflow that is present in the current air intake....as in the filter box....and the stuff between it...and fresh air......

Before getting carried away with the MAF.....remember that the MAF...is mated to the fuel injectors. So replacing either of those with any "performance" part that is not to OEM spec's....is not for the novice.....which I am.

On the output side.....bigger catalytic converters to reduce back pressure.....but the only ones that I know of....and I do not know if they are any bigger than OEM....would be the Walker brand......and you would end up doing cutting and modification. I replaced the OEM dual cat's on my '96 with a Walker "direct fit" part.......and they are slightly smaller than OEM. I also suspect that they are slightly less open to flow. Though they seem to do a nice job. Walker sells bigger catalytic converters as individual converters....but you would end up doing the cut and piece them in...which is a lot of work.

Keeping your ride tuned up.....and maintained......is the best and cheapest thing you can do. My '96 has much more "Zoom" since I started working on it myself just over 1 year ago. Before that....I did oil changes.....and left pretty much everything else to the dealer. The dealerships have very talented people....but they do not have the time to tinker and baby things like we do.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
floridatgp floridatgp is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
super chips

I know a few years ago one of those after market chip makers had one for the windstar. Of coarse premimum gas is required.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windstar Engine Blown serge_saati Windstar 23 04-28-2011 07:02 AM
96 windstar 3.0L tramission problem Steve45ca Windstar 3 01-17-2010 04:56 PM
1999 windstar oil in radiator resorvior fishinglady427 Windstar 2 07-12-2009 08:25 AM
I love the Ford Windstar 1999 serge_saati Cars in General 0 05-09-2009 02:51 PM
2000 windstar 3.8 engine out of balance walkmanner Windstar 4 03-01-2009 02:04 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Windstar


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts