-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-31-2003, 07:54 AM
redmustang redmustang is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
auto to manual swap

Yesterday I Pulled My Aod To Put In A T5 And The Only Question I Have So Far Is What To Do With The Transmission Cooler. Can I Plug It Off And Leave It Or Do I Need To Yank It Out As Well???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2003, 08:59 AM
MustangRoadRacer's Avatar
MustangRoadRacer MustangRoadRacer is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: auto to manual swap

yank it.
as well as the fluid fill and dipstick.
__________________
Mustangs are nice, but I'd rather have one of these...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2003, 09:10 AM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: auto to manual swap

You really can't "yank it" unless it was an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler in built right into the radiator, so your best bet is just to plug it and you'll be set.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2004, 07:53 AM
parrish5o's Avatar
parrish5o parrish5o is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: auto to manual swap

Am I the only person who wants to swap a T5 to an auto?
__________________

11.5:1 306
CANFIELD STAGEII HEADS SCORPION 1.6 COMP CAM 555/570
GT40 INTAKE STAGEII LOWER 65MM TB PRO-M 75MM MAF
30LB INJECTORS 190LPH FUEL PUMP/ NOS INLINE PUMP
FMS ZT5 CENTERFORCE CLUTCH HURST SHIFTER
ALUM DRIVESHAFT 31SPLINE MOSER AXELS AUBURN DIFF
ALUM RADIATOR MSD 6AL MSD ADJUSTABLE TIMING RETARD
NOS STAGE II 150HP 497@5800 474@4300 11.3@118
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2004, 03:19 PM
StangNut86 StangNut86 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,078
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to StangNut86 Send a message via Yahoo to StangNut86
you're not the only one... i will take manual over auto any day of the week. but the thing is, that's why i bought a manual in the first place =)

keep in mind that getting the clutch pedal, brake pedal, clutch cable, sensors, and all of their associated wiring/bracketry in place is going to be a monstrous pain in the ass. plus, you have to find and remove the tranny control box, and possibly even change the ECU (though i'm not too sure about that). not to mention the wiring harnesses that will have to be modified to accomodate those changes. the only thing that shouldn't be a big hassle is the driveshaft, those are usually the same in all fox-bodied mustangs. best of luck tho, i would do the same if my pony had an aod
__________________
-Andy

'89 Mustang 5.0 - How fast? i'll know this weekend.
'86 Mustang LX - Shortblock is built, now for the rest of it.

"Put the subject before the verb, hmm? Fail this class, you will."
-Yoda teaches english class.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2004, 03:46 PM
parrish5o's Avatar
parrish5o parrish5o is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: auto to manual swap

No dude, I've got a standard and I want to swap to an automatic. I love the 5spd but on the bottle I just can't shift quick enough, I don't hit it until 2nd gear and as soon as the petal hits the floor it's time for 3rd. I don't powershift on the bottle, because I have a microswitch on the throtlebody that tripps at WOT. I usually don't take my foot completely off the gas, just far enough to stop the N2O. This makes me nervous, I don't want to know what will happen if I miss a gear. The flow stops at 6000, before the MSD rev limit of 6200, but still that can't be good. I just feel an auto will work better with nitrous. Then I'll use the NOS progressive control to maxamize traction. I'm not sure which trans I prefer yet, I need an AOD for gas milage but who can build one that strong?
__________________

11.5:1 306
CANFIELD STAGEII HEADS SCORPION 1.6 COMP CAM 555/570
GT40 INTAKE STAGEII LOWER 65MM TB PRO-M 75MM MAF
30LB INJECTORS 190LPH FUEL PUMP/ NOS INLINE PUMP
FMS ZT5 CENTERFORCE CLUTCH HURST SHIFTER
ALUM DRIVESHAFT 31SPLINE MOSER AXELS AUBURN DIFF
ALUM RADIATOR MSD 6AL MSD ADJUSTABLE TIMING RETARD
NOS STAGE II 150HP 497@5800 474@4300 11.3@118
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2004, 04:04 PM
StangNut86 StangNut86 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,078
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to StangNut86 Send a message via Yahoo to StangNut86
ah, sorry... i misread the thread. i'd go for it, if you'r erunning nitrous. although, if you have the MSD 3-step, there's really no way you can blow your motor up if you miss that gear.

the only reason i'm sticking with a manual gearbox (my notch is getting a t56 when i do my 351 swap) is because it's gonna be a street car... i could care less about consistent ETs. besides which, if i ever go forced induction, it's gonna be a blower, which is usually cool with a stick.

i know a guy with an 03 cobra. he swapped out the IRS for a solid 9", and he runs spray right along with his blower. that car is FAST =D. and of course, his factory t56 is still intact. those guys are strong.

but, point being, you're right. get an AOD or a powerglide or something and put a planetary gear and a valve body in it. and, if you're so inclined, a ratchet shifter. my buddy's camaro is getting a transbrake soon, and that fucker FLIES. anyway, good luck
__________________
-Andy

'89 Mustang 5.0 - How fast? i'll know this weekend.
'86 Mustang LX - Shortblock is built, now for the rest of it.

"Put the subject before the verb, hmm? Fail this class, you will."
-Yoda teaches english class.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 AM
MustangRoadRacer's Avatar
MustangRoadRacer MustangRoadRacer is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: auto to manual swap

I love my T56, it was expensive as all hell, but such a nice shift now, and 6th gear gets me great mileage.
__________________
Mustangs are nice, but I'd rather have one of these...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2004, 01:19 PM
HiFlow5 0's Avatar
HiFlow5 0 HiFlow5 0 is offline
Stanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: Re: auto to manual swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish5o
No dude, I've got a standard and I want to swap to an automatic. I love the 5spd but on the bottle I just can't shift quick enough, I don't hit it until 2nd gear and as soon as the petal hits the floor it's time for 3rd. I don't powershift on the bottle, because I have a microswitch on the throtlebody that tripps at WOT. I usually don't take my foot completely off the gas, just far enough to stop the N2O. This makes me nervous, I don't want to know what will happen if I miss a gear. The flow stops at 6000, before the MSD rev limit of 6200, but still that can't be good. I just feel an auto will work better with nitrous. Then I'll use the NOS progressive control to maxamize traction. I'm not sure which trans I prefer yet, I need an AOD for gas milage but who can build one that strong?
Lentech all the way! They build killer AOD's.
__________________
[size=1]-1950 Ford Custom, flathead V8
-2013 Ford Flex
-1999 Ford F150

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2004, 06:12 PM
parrish5o's Avatar
parrish5o parrish5o is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: auto to manual swap

Whats the price and how much will it hold?
__________________

11.5:1 306
CANFIELD STAGEII HEADS SCORPION 1.6 COMP CAM 555/570
GT40 INTAKE STAGEII LOWER 65MM TB PRO-M 75MM MAF
30LB INJECTORS 190LPH FUEL PUMP/ NOS INLINE PUMP
FMS ZT5 CENTERFORCE CLUTCH HURST SHIFTER
ALUM DRIVESHAFT 31SPLINE MOSER AXELS AUBURN DIFF
ALUM RADIATOR MSD 6AL MSD ADJUSTABLE TIMING RETARD
NOS STAGE II 150HP 497@5800 474@4300 11.3@118
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2004, 07:36 PM
redmustang redmustang is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
auto to manual swap

I managed to swap the auto for a manual but it was a bitch! It actually wasnt that bad, just very time consuming. Luckily the wiring harnesses for the two transmissions were interchangable so no real pain there. The hardest part was hanging the clutch pedal. I now have an aod that needs to be rebuilt if anyone wants it. Ive been told I wouldnt have to change the ECU and that it would just run a little rich wich is fine with me. Now I have a 302 that i built and I plan on installing it the beginning of Feb. Any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2004, 07:57 PM
StangNut86 StangNut86 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,078
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to StangNut86 Send a message via Yahoo to StangNut86
parrish: why don't you buy redmustang's aod and put new internals in it? that would work out pretty well for you, and you wouldn't have to buy a whole new tranny. plus, it should bolt right up to your 5.0
__________________
-Andy

'89 Mustang 5.0 - How fast? i'll know this weekend.
'86 Mustang LX - Shortblock is built, now for the rest of it.

"Put the subject before the verb, hmm? Fail this class, you will."
-Yoda teaches english class.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2004, 08:00 PM
redmustang redmustang is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah. The trans cooler is connected to the radiator so I just plugged off the holes where the trans fluid lines connected to it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2004, 11:40 PM
parrish5o's Avatar
parrish5o parrish5o is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: auto to manual swap

Good idea but, don't have the cash to spare right now. There is a 68 Camaro conv with my name on it.
__________________

11.5:1 306
CANFIELD STAGEII HEADS SCORPION 1.6 COMP CAM 555/570
GT40 INTAKE STAGEII LOWER 65MM TB PRO-M 75MM MAF
30LB INJECTORS 190LPH FUEL PUMP/ NOS INLINE PUMP
FMS ZT5 CENTERFORCE CLUTCH HURST SHIFTER
ALUM DRIVESHAFT 31SPLINE MOSER AXELS AUBURN DIFF
ALUM RADIATOR MSD 6AL MSD ADJUSTABLE TIMING RETARD
NOS STAGE II 150HP 497@5800 474@4300 11.3@118
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2004, 02:18 AM
GTStang's Avatar
GTStang GTStang is offline
Stang Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Parrish the nitrous only being on when at WOT is a nice safety feature of the kit's for guys who are not that serious. This set-up can be eliminated and safety can still be had from a quality nitrous controller and MSD box like you have. Also at the track how tall are the tires you are using? Going to taller tires will help you with how soon you have to shift.
__________________
R.I.P. Hypsi- Andy your one of the best people I ever had the priviledge to know. AF and the world
has lost one of the truly wonderful people...

Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts